netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Bamboo

Discussions, identification and analysis of the vast range of woods used in Netsuke
AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:42 am

Jan, you mentioned the Merrily Baird book and I wholeheartedly recommend it (if it can be found). I'm away at the moment and forget its title. It should be in our recommended books thread.

Milton, the close-up of the ants on your kiseru makes them look three dimensional...but I assume they are just lacquered.
Alan

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:43 am

IPhone

Milton...sincere congrat's your set is really fantastic...
Have you the translation of the Poem?
And Who is the artist?
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

Tengu

Postby Tengu » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:33 am

Jan, thank you.
A nice assortment of slightly different interpretations.

tanukisan

Postby tanukisan » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:44 am

The tiger is emblematic of the power of Buddhist faith ( as is the dragon) - the tiger the greatest terrestial power; the dragon the greatest celestial one. The breath of the tiger is said to be the wind. The tiger is associated with bamboo as the bamboo forest is the tiger's lair. Even the tiger, strong as he is, needs the weak bamboo to shelter from the power of nature/ the elements.

'A gentleman's got a walking stick.
A seaman's got a gaff.
And the merry men of Robin Hood
They used a quarterstaff.
On the Spanish plains inside their canes
They hide their ruddy swords.
But we make do with an old bam-boo
And everyone applauds!
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - Hey!
Me ol' bam-boo, me ol' bam-boo
You'd better never bother with me ol' bam-boo.
You can have me hat or me bum-ber-shoo
But you'd better never bother with me ol' bam-boo'

(Lyrics courtesy of the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang musical)

John 

Oishii

Postby Oishii » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:20 am

AFNetsuke wrote: ... in the Merrily Baird book and I wholeheartedly recommend it (if it can be found). I'm away at the moment and forget its title. It should be in our recommended books thread.

Hi Alan,
is this the one you mean ? seems indeed not so easy to find for a good price.

Attachments
2381490_513Y24MJHFL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Jan

mss

Postby mss » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:11 pm

Alan asked whether the ants in the bamboo sagemono set were three dimensional. Yes, the ants indeed are three dimenional, the body is inlaid, and the legs are incised, and sumi-filled. Just goes to show the care Japanese craftsmen took in even modest pieces. Enclose a few images to show some of the ants in relief.

Luigi asks as to the artist and the poem translation. Am unsure as to seal (on bottom of tonkotsu) translation, but told the signature reads Shigeyoshi Sanjin saku (made by Shigeyoshi retired sholar). Assume seal reflects the same craftsman/artist. The poem has not as yet been translated.

Interestingly, two respected dealers, one in London, other in Japan, have seen this set, and do not agree as to whether it is a kiseruzutsu set or yatate. I personally believe it is pipecase with tonkotsu.

Image Image

Attachments
2381630__DSC0727.JPG
2381631__DSC0728.JPG
2381634__DSC0724.JPG

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:15 pm

Milton, thanks for the extra views. Ants are wonderful. I also wondered if it might be a fudezutsu and what appear to be a medium size tonkotsu was instead for ink. But I really think that is a tonkotsu unless you see evidence inside to the contrary. I would not call it a yatate unless I misunderstand the full definition as I think yatate combine brush holder and ink holder into one object whereas the brush holder alone is a fudezutsu with separate ink holder. Opinions from those more expert in this?
Alan

mss

Postby mss » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:40 pm

Alan, I believe you are correct and this indeed is a fudezutsu. Your comments made me look again at the piece, the construction of which accords with pieces shown in the Japanese language book of the Tawara collection of yatate. The diameter and length of the cylinder is such that only an unusually short pipe with diminutive bowl would fit. Alternatively, it would be perfect for a brush.

Enclose images of the construction of my set, and also several similar from the Tawara collection.

Thanks for your input, I have learned a lot from this thread.

Image Image Image

Attachments
2381957__DSC0731.JPG
2381958_picture4.jpg
2381959__DSC0733.JPG
2381960__DSC0735.JPG
2381961__DSC0737.JPG

Return to “Wood”