netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Mystery material.. Quiz (2)

Discussions, identification and analysis of the different types of vegetable and fruit used in Netsuke
KPR

Re: Mystery material.. Quiz (2)

Postby KPR » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:56 am

chonchon wrote:Klaus, what is the material? It looks like real chestnuts!

Yes, it looks and feels like a real chestnut.
But real chestnuts shrink very quickly. Last year this chestnut looked the same as the Netsuke.
R0015148-001.JPG
Klaus

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:00 pm

Klaus, that is a horse chestnut, not the edible variety, in fact probably unrelated!!! :)

We used to play 'conkers' with them until they were banned from schools for health and safety reasons. :(
Piers

Size is something.

Clive

Postby Clive » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:25 pm

Yes.. there are horse chestnuts... often called conkers and there are sweet chestnuts which are edible..

When I take the kids to collect nuts I tell them there are furry ones and there spiky ones and that we want the furry ones (cue Martyn with a double entendre in 5, 4, 3, 2.. ) :lol:

hqdefault.jpg

62767013-horse-chestnut-aesculus-hippocastanum-conker-tree-seed-on-a-white-background-isolated.jpg

Sweet-Chestnut-250x188.png

sweet-and-horse-chestnuts-300x120.jpg

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:51 pm

In the development of the interesting (and different) chesnut theme in the thread I wanted to increase my culture…
This is what Wikipedia say to share it with those who love this product.

Asiatic species Castanea crenata (Japanese chestnut, Korean chestnut), Castanea mollissima (Chinese chestnut), Castanea davidii (China), Castanea henryi (Chinese chinkapin, also called Henry's chestnut – China) and Castanea seguinii (also called Seguin's chestnut – China)
American species These include Castanea dentata (American chestnut – Eastern states), Castanea pumila (American- or Allegheny chinkapin, also known as "dwarf chestnut" – Eastern states), Castanea alnifolia (Southern states), Castanea ashei (Southern states), Castanea floridana (Southern states) and Castanea paucispina (Southern states).[5][6]
Chestnuts should not be confused with horse chestnuts (genus Aesculus), which are not related to Castanea and are named for producing nuts of similar appearance, but which are mildly poisonous to humans, nor should they be confused with water chestnut (family Cyperaceae), which are also unrelated to Castanea and are tubers of similar taste from an aquatic herbaceous plant.[7][8] Other trees commonly mistaken for chestnut trees are the chestnut oak (Quercus prinus) and the American beech (Fagus grandifolia),[9][10] both of which are also in Fagaceae.

The name "chestnut" is derived from an earlier English term "chesten nut", which descends from the Old French word chastain (Modern French, châtaigne).[11
Attachments
The LUB Collection (83).jpg
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

KPR

Postby KPR » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:39 pm

Oh my God, what I have instigated everything. I just wanted to show an unusual netsuke.
At my Netsuke the two chestnuts were completely hollowed, filled with a very hard material and connected with each other. The hard filling resists a needle in the Himotoshi and does not alter the weight of the chestnuts. At Rokuzan's Netsuke one can see the difference between inner and outer.
The Netsuke consists of a mysterious material with the cover of real chestnuts.
It is certainly many years old, it was attached to a chestnut tonkostsu and very dirty.
Klaus

Clive

Postby Clive » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:46 pm

KPR wrote:At my Netsuke the two chestnuts were completely hollowed, filled with a very hard material and connected with each other. The hard filling resists a needle in the Himotoshi and does not alter the weight of the chestnuts.

Why isn't it ivory Klaus?

KPR

Postby KPR » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:02 pm

Clive wrote:
Why isn't it ivory Klaus?

Only my feeling says: kind of tree material.
Klaus

Clive

Postby Clive » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:09 pm

Ahh OK.. just then for the record.. I think it's ivory. :D ;)

KPR

Postby KPR » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:20 pm

I am very happy about this positive change. :D :D
Klaus

Clive

Postby Clive » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:24 pm

:lol: :lol:

Return to “Vegetable and Fruit”