netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Entada seed case

Discussions, identification and analysis of the different types of vegetable and fruit used in Netsuke
chonchon

Postby chonchon » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:26 pm

In Davey's Netsuke book (or MCI?) there is a section at the end on rare materials. One of the Netsuke is made of a flat round dark brown seed and it says this is called a Fuji-no-Mi in Japanese, but that in the Edo Period these were probably imported from South-East Asia as they didn't grow naturally in Japan..

Well, I had a look on the internet and came across a site selling these seeds for http://www.sunrisefirm.com/newpage13%28nuts3%29.htm wait for it... 4,800 yen each! That's, well, 63 USD each!!! The reason given there is that it is difficult to find large ones of 5 cm x 5 cm and above nowadays. (In the blurb underneath it mentions Netsuke as one of the things to be made from these seeds.)

Now a few months ago I came across a Japanese matchlock priming powder flask made with one of these seeds and thought little of it, relegating it to the poor quality box. It didn't cost much and I spent some time repairing it. Most genuine old primer flasks go for around 30,000 yen (400 USD) if you can even find them, and I enjoyed this little project.

With this one, I could not for the life of me find out what the seed was called. I have a childhood memory of picking up Jacaranda nuts in East Africa and thought maybe that's what they were. Eventually I dismissed it from my mind. But with Davey I got the name today at last!!! Fuji is Wisteria, but this must be a giant variety? Fuji-no-Mi

Piers

Size is something.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:59 pm

At that price how long do they take to grow and will they grow in California?

Do we get to see the flask? Sounds interesting.
Alan

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:46 pm

Sure Alan, I'll post later. Just off to Osaka for an armor/armour exhibition.

4:40 am...

Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:59 am

6:00 pm. The two sets of armor/armour were given Juyo status today.

Here is a link to a page on another site where I first introduced this seedpod black powder primer flask back in June this year.
http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2554&p=90279#p90279

Piers

Size is something.

OldKappa

Postby OldKappa » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:43 am

Congratulations Piers, will you be trying for the upper echelon?

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:44 am

The armor/armour is not mine. :) Some of us went along to help carry boxes. While the experts struggled with their books and magnifying glasses, we went for a walk around Osaka Castle and climbed to the top lookout for the view. Although the castle has been rebuilt in concrete, there is much to see in the stones, walls and moats and remaining towers and buildings.
Piers

Size is something.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:38 pm

While you were enjoying Osaka Castle, we were enjoying an early morning climb up St. Michael's Mount. We walked across, as the tide was out, and it was not busy at all when we got there. It was beautiful to be able to visit it with only a few other people around. We had driven to Penzance the night before, enjoyed the sunset at Land's End--sidestepping the commercial building and walking on the paths to the edge--outstanding sunset! still no netsuke!

I did take an image of the armour that was displayed in the castle--to guard against attacks by bow and arrow, and perhaps cross bow attacks. Very interesting--even looked Asian to me.
Judy

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:55 pm

Have you had a look inside any antiques shops yet, Judy?
Piers

Size is something.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:43 pm

I have, but we have been mainly in little fishing villages on the coast, and I am not seeing anything asian at all. I haven't sought the shops out --just run across them, as there are three others with me not all that impressed with netsuke or antiques. But when i have seen a shop, i have stopped--just not found a thing.

I have dropped a couple hints regarding going into London for a day, but everyone here has changed the subject when i have brought it up.

I wish i were just a little more demanding sometimes! :roll:Image
Judy

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:39 pm

The visuals for us stay-at-home types are wonderful!
keep going. . .
And Judy, tell your travel mates that we Forum Faithful have insisted that you go netsuke hunting in London! NOW. . . .
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

Return to “Vegetable and Fruit”