netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Tagua nut

Discussions, identification and analysis of the different types of vegetable and fruit used in Netsuke
Tsunuki

Postby Tsunuki » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:46 am

AFNetsuke wrote:Tsunuki, thanks for showing your various nut carvings. Somehow I missed reading this thread earlier. I can't remember having seen a cherry bark and glass inro. Perhaps you could also post that one in the Inro topic. Agree with Luigi that Kikui's input on signatures is invaluable.

Thank you! I'll post more about the glass inro sometime later this week. I couldn't find anything similar (though my search was just a quick check of Google and the Inro Handbook), so I'd interested to see what opinion there is of it. Glass doesn't seem like the best choice of material for an inro, as it's somewhat fragile and rather heavy, but I suppose being able to see what's inside the different compartments would be a nice feature.

carlomagno wrote:Ryan, excellent collection of tagua and other nuts netsuke or nutsuke as you say! The first one with the fish is lot of spirit, looks powerful , The second wiith vines is very intrincate, the third with the dragon I love it! but the nacar plate does not fit in, the sacred boat is a beautiful piece also, now your persimmon would be nice to see the evolution as you mention you carving another two.
Thanks! The tagua nutsuke of the man with the fish is one I initially didn't appreciate much due to the material (at the time I considered tagua nut to be solely in the realm of cheap knockoffs; I only got it because it was bundled with some other netsuke), but I've since grown to enjoy this carving and would now welcome another tagua nut netsuke to my collection. On the other hand, I only just recently realized the mushroom and chestnut was tagua nut; when I purchased it I thought it was wood and that the nut texture on the mushroom cap was part of the carving. Oops. The staining threw me off.

The dragon netsuke is a little odd, as the plate definitely doesn't fit (I'm tempted to remove it, but I don't want to damage the rest of the piece) and the rest of the item has some unusual aspects and wear. I suspect the netsuke was damaged at some point and "repaired" by a previous owner. It could probably do with some better repairs.

I will post the rest of the netsuke I've made later. They were all made a couple years ago and are all fairly rough in retrospect. I'm looking forward to making some new ones now that I've learned more about netsuke.
Ryan

Tsunuki

Postby Tsunuki » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:32 am

I posted the cherry bark and glass inro to the Inro topic as promised (here). Also as promised, here's the rest of the macadamia nut netsuke I've made. To reiterate what I said earlier, these were made a while ago and in retrospect are a bit rough. Now that I have a better appreciation for netsuke, I plan to work with more traditional materials in the future and hopefully learn more about carving.

Here's my second attempt at a macadamia nut shell persimmon netsuke (recently sold). The shape and color are better than my first attempt, and more in line with a fuyu persimmon. This was still a learning experience though.
8-)[/url] 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

This is my next macadamia nut netsuke, a partially peeled lychee fruit with an ant (also sold). The himotoshi is through the space under the leaf.
8-) 8-)

And my third and most recent attempt at a macadamia nut persimmon (I gave this one to my aunt). This one probably turned out the best for the coloring and the details on the leaves. I messed up and made one of the himotoshi holes too big (luckily it was on the bottom). The last photo is of the persimmon I used as a model, which was certainly helpful.
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Ryan

Return to “Vegetable and Fruit”