netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Insect Damage to Buffalo Horn...

Discussions, identification and analysis of the different types of Horn (includes pressed horn - a synthetic)
NetsukeManiac

Postby NetsukeManiac » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:32 am

I own a couple of buffalo horn objects that have been damaged by insect larvae. One is a pressed horn netsuke and the other is a knife handle. The linked article goes into quite a bit of detail on this subject and thought that it might be of interest to our forum members.

http://www.knife-expert.com/bugs036.txt

SC

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:19 am

A very good read, SC. Thank you for the link. Pity the photos don't come up, but I can see them in my mind's eye.

I wonder if it is worth isolating half-eaten horn objects from the rest of the collection? Like woodworm, do they jump from pillar to post?
Piers

Size is something.

NetsukeManiac

Postby NetsukeManiac » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:55 am

It would probably be a good idea to store any horn objects in an air tight container. If you have damaged pieces (especially if you are unsure if the pests are gone), I would definately isolate them from undamaged ones. I'm not sure if they move around too much at least until they are mature enough to crawl/fly away. One thing I do know, the damage 'signature' they leave is exactly the same whether on an old pressed horn netsuke or a modern knife handle. That pressed horn Tengu no Tamago shows an identical damage signature to my damaged items.

SC

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:21 am

Is there a time of year for the larval stage or is it year-round, I wonder? I would not like to shut it away with live bugs inside.
Piers

Size is something.

NetsukeManiac

Postby NetsukeManiac » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:26 am

Good question. Maybe we need to find an insect expert?

SC

Clive

Postby Clive » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:06 pm

I would not describe myself as an expert, certainly not on Dermestids.. Lucanids and the various aquatic orders of insects are more my speciality but I have had some experience fumigating small horn items.

I simply placed items in a large zip lock bag with a Nuvan Prostrip and left for a month. That killed off all the wee beasties. I imagine you could use other similar products but the strips are relatively easy to buy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nuvan-Prostrips-Controls-Flying-Crawling-Pests-Flies-/200525678660?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb0430844

NetsukeManiac

Postby NetsukeManiac » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:57 pm

Thanks for the tip...probably safer than arsenic!

SC

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:05 pm

Clive, if you have never seen the video of Masatoshi carving a wood netsuke, Val posted a link in the Links thread to it in 6 parts on UTube.

I just watched them all in order and I have come away with an awe-inspiring whole new appreciation for the incredible carving work that you, and others, do!
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

Clive

Postby Clive » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:36 pm

My pleasure SC.

Hi David,

Yes I have seem those vids.. Facinating aren't they.

Return to “Horn”