netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

Rhinoceros Horn Netsukes

Discussions, identification and analysis of the different types of Horn (includes pressed horn - a synthetic)
LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:09 pm

Well, little by little we will see the most unusual or rare materials in Netsukes.
I like to shere this one.
Cicada: 8 cm L - 4.5 cm W
Material: translucent Rhinos horn, amber inlaid eyes
Unsigned.
Style "Osaka School" but because of the material quite difficult to establish
the period, probably modern?

Probably copy of this one published by M.,Bernstein signed Masatsugu (K.?)
Image Image Image Image
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:00 pm

Lub, this is just an amazing netsuke!
Best Cicada I've seen.
The material seems to glow.
The photos are great too - did you use a Macro (or Micro, if Nikon) lens, and if so, which one?
Which camera too?
Your photographic skills are incredible.

That one is just magnificent.
Thanks for sharing.

[Piers had a post above this, where he thanked you for sharing these photos too, but when I went on the Forum this morning, I saw three of them that said the same thing, and I deleted two, but Piers' original post seems to have disappeared - I wrote to Piers asking him to re-post his post.]

"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:44 pm

Can't remember what I wrote, but David has covered it.
This Cicada has wonderful detail beautifully captured in the
photography. Thanks for showing us what rhino horn can
look like, lub. :)
Piers

Size is something.

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:52 pm

DSW90049 wrote:Lub, this is just an amazing netsuke!
Best Cicada I've seen.
The material seems to glow.
The photos are great too - did you use a Macro (or Micro, if Nikon) lens, and if so, which one?
Which camera too?
Your photographic skills are incredible.

That one is just magnificent.
Thanks for sharing.

[Piers had a post above this, where he thanked you for sharing these photos too, but when I went on the Forum this morning, I saw three of them that said the same thing, and I deleted two, but Piers' original post seems to have disappeared - I wrote to Piers asking him to re-post his post.]

Dear David...you are so kind, but my photo camera is a normal Nikon Coolpix S4...About the Cicada the tactile sensation is very warm, and the wings details are so minute, difficult to render in the photo no matter if with macro...I'm so happy the Netsuke is not signed, I like to imagine the artist do not carved for the "market" but because he loved to do that...is my phantasy.
I read your posts and I'm impressed how many time and attention you give to this forum...your are an "asset" of this astounding world of Netsukes.

Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:04 pm

chonchon wrote:Can't remember what I wrote, but David has covered it.
This Cicada has wonderful detail beautifully captured in the
photography. Thanks for showing us what rhino horn can
look like, lub. :)

Tks...I'm so glad to share the common passion we have!

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:08 pm

Thanks for the compliment, Lub
- I must share it, however, with all who collaborate in managing this Forum
- both the current Co-Moderator: Old Kappa (who handles the 'night shift,' from my Californai perspective) and Alan F, our Board Liason, as well as our former and now Emeritus Moderators, both Stan and Vlad,who give us helpful feedback based on their own tenure doing this job
- & Aisha, who handles the technical end
- & Norman, who was for so long the guiding light . . .

It is a truly collaborative labor of love to care for, and help to create, this treasure trove that we have here in the INS Forum - the one unique place in cyberspace where people from all over the globe can talk with each other in real time and show, discuss, argue over, their netsuke and sagemono, till the cows come home.

And, for the netsuke camera buffs out there (not to go too far off topic here) - who are working hard to learn the very difficult art of photographing netsuke, this is what you can do with 6 megapixels!

"Nikon's Coolpix S4 combines 6.0 effective megapixels and an amazing 10x optical Zoom-Nikkor lens for stunning 14 x 19-inch prints" - from Amazon write-up, offering the camera Lub used for these great pics.

It's the 10x Optical Zoom and close-up focusing abilities that make these kinds of pics possible. We're talking under $200 USD purchase price for this camera, folks.

There's hope for my Nikon D70, also 6 megapixels, shooting with the new Macro (in Nikon-Speak, 'Micro') lens that I posted about in the Netsuke Photography thread.

Now, all I need is some free time . . . .

"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:23 pm

DSW90049 wrote:Thanks for the compliment, Lub
- I must share it, however, with all who collaborate in managing this Forum
- both the current Co-Moderator: Old Kappa (who handles the 'night shift,' from my Californai perspective) and Alan F, our Board Liason, as well as our former and now Emeritus Moderators, both Stan and Vlad,who give us helpful feedback based on their own tenure doing this job
- & Aisha, who handles the technical end
- & Norman, who was for so long the guiding light . . .

Yes David, I share each one of your words, the team of INS and friends here in the Forum are really "masterpieces"...
For all of them the best and gratitude.

Return to “Horn”