netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

Mother of pearl Netsuke

Discussions, identification and analysis of the different types of natural shell and corals
chonchon

Postby chonchon » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:51 am

Luigi beat me to it. Well done on producing such a 3-D effect in that thin material. The rabbit's head and expression is very convincing too. Excellent work!
Piers

Size is something.

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:40 pm

Brian, that one is well done and quite pretty.
Nice material that you used too!
Thanks for sharing.Image

"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

Brian_I

Postby Brian_I » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:51 pm

Thanks for the encouragement everyone :).

I really would like to become a full-time netsuke artist in the future, so it helps to hear a good (Or bad) word in regards to carving. The carving looks much cuter in person :S.

It's odd. When I first look at it, I only see what I don't like :D. But then... it grows on me. I wanted to leave a matte finish on the piece, also the eyes, so that it glows. In real life, it glows a lot from the matte finish trapping the light.

Website for my work: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bricats-page-Netsuke-and-jewelery-items-Ive-made/296889113706177

Return to “Natural shell and coral”