netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Mother of pearl Netsuke

Discussions, identification and analysis of the different types of natural shell and corals
Brian_I

Postby Brian_I » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:58 pm

I got home late but I will have to make some photos in the (Cold) sunlight here tomorrow. I really love that last netsuke Lub :)

My netsuke is in the shape of a rabbit, the one I am almost done with.

Website for my work: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bricats-page-Netsuke-and-jewelery-items-Ive-made/296889113706177

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:23 am

Lub, that's a lovely large piece but probably not long enough to call a sashi.

Brian, I hope I'm not second guessing but is your piece a "rabbit in the moon" type which as the subject would lend itself to working in a flatter material?
Alan

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:05 am

Great netsuke, OldTurtle! Very elegant indeed!

I guess, we can call LUB's netsuke any way we like. It will not be worn anyway. But I agree with Alan, it is not necessarily long enough, it is too beautiful to be hidden behind the sash, and the himotoshi are not at the top of the piece, but in the middle, which would make it even more difficult to push behind the obi. I think it better resembles a "toggle", as discussed in some other thread.

We should reduce the picture sizes in this thread, though, as it becomes annoying. Either the authors themselves, or a Moderator needs to take care of this ASAP. Thanks!
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

OldKappa

Postby OldKappa » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:48 am

We can indeed resize/crop the photos. We have all become accustomed to using the wheel for scrolling up-down a page. This method is only practical for a few lines, for bigger jumps there are especially programmable buttons in some mouses, the horizontal/vertical screen tabs and the Home/End - Page Up/Page Down buttons on the keyboard.

We have become a bit complacent and have forgotten those other controls since the implementation of the scroll wheel.

By politeness, the moderators always notify/ask the regular poster's permission by PM before before any modifications. If you all agree that it becomes general policy, unless otherwise stated, to give permission to the moderators to adapt the photos for an optimized forum viewing, we will endeavor to do so.

A perfect example is your own posting (#27) in 'help with maker identification', at 1400 pixels it is well over your suggested 1000 and I did not incorporate it withing the posting to avoid the really annoying horizontal scrolling controls.

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:29 pm

Alan, Vlad, Brian...full agree with your comments.
I wrote "more a sashi" because in fact is not "meat nor fish" (yes...dry salmon...) but I'm impressed with the thickness of the material...how big was the shell? maybe Clive wish to tell us something about shells
OldKappa...I have sent in the other forum (Coral Netsuke) a test regard
the photos size.
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:27 pm

Yes, Lub, no question the thickness of the material is amazing.

There is no section of the California Red Abalone I'm holding in the photo that would produce a piece the size of your netsuke.

Attachments
1268583_P1000603.JPG
Alan

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:10 pm

Here are two Blackberry camera pics of my MOP 'Hiding Doe,' which may just be unique in this material. Not great photography, but you will get the idea.

And, while a fairly flat piece, it is thicker than you might imagine, with Alan's raw source pic above in mind.

Attachments
1268780_Untitled_-_5.jpg
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

Brian_I

Postby Brian_I » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:27 am

Sorry that I am a bit late replying to this thread :S. I wish I had more time in the day.. :). This is the rabbit mother of pearl netsuke I made. It's about 4.3cm or so. I carved it almost entirely with hand tools (Scrapers and such) and did a little outside rounding with a dremel diamond bit. I kept a kind of matte finish on it. Amber eyes. The main problem was with the himotoshi holes :roll:. Because it was so thin, (0.5cm?) I could not channel the hole through the body. So I made the decision to go through the form and use a white netsuke cord, to hide the holes when worn. I am making a vegetable ojime. I apologise for the late reply.

ImageImage
Attachments
1272495_r4.jpg
1272494_r.jpg
1272493_r2.jpg
1272500_r3.jpg
Website for my work: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bricats-page-Netsuke-and-jewelery-items-Ive-made/296889113706177

Brian_I

Postby Brian_I » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:32 am

I wanted to point out also that the thick mother of pearl netsuke were likely made from either a Turbo Shell or one of these shells (I am not sure the name of it...)
Attachments
1272498_Shell1092.jpg
1272497_vlcsnap-2012-02-10-10h30m50s21.png
1272496_vlcsnap-2012-02-10-10h30m38s174.png

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:43 am

Brian_I wrote:I wanted to point out also that the thick mother of pearl netsuke were likely made from either a Turbo Shell or one of these shells (I am not sure the name of it...)

Brian..first of all my sincere admiration for your capacity to imagine the final result considering the thickness of the material, near a miracle!...the rabbit himself is like pure milk and ethereal small animal with a tender expression...
the himotoshi you made was the only logical solution...then the final result you have achieved is really hight...congratulations!
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

Return to “Natural shell and coral”