netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Mother of pearl Netsuke

Discussions, identification and analysis of the different types of natural shell and corals
LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:20 am

Good morning from Switzerland:

After my previous invitation to share and discuss rare materials like Horn Bill, would be very interesting to share photos and experiences with Mother of Pearl netsukes, not common.
Here one of my pcs. in the collection.
Signed Gyokuzan

ImageImage
Attachments
1262153_LUB_Coll.MP_Sea_Bream.jpg
1262154_LUB_Coll.MP_Sea_Bream_(1).jpg
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

Brian_I

Postby Brian_I » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:50 am

This is interesting that you post about mother of pearl netsuke. I am making two mother of pearl netsuke at the moment (A dragon and a pair of rabbits).

I really like the material, it's soft enough to work with hard steel tools but also holds very good detail.

I wondered why more netsuke artists didn't use it. I would guess that maybe it was difficult to get large pieces of the material perhaps? I really like your fish!

Website for my work: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bricats-page-Netsuke-and-jewelery-items-Ive-made/296889113706177

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:12 pm

Hi Brian,

Yes, the main reason why no very often netsukes are carved with this material is due
the limitation in the size and thickness of the raw material...there is several netsukes in
mother or pearl in medium sizes but they are rare.

This fish in my Coll. (Sea Bream-tai) was published in the old Book The Netsuke of Japan,by Egerton Ryerson, G.Bell & Sons,Ltd,London, 1958...(See Page 94 and Pl.22-2)

Other pc. in my coll. is this one, octupus, unsigned.
As you perceive the head of octupus look like a truncate pearl, or it is...

I encourage you to go ahead in this kind of challenge, and please send to me email with photos of your netskés once they are finished or inform your WEB page.

ImageImage
Attachments
1262175_LUB_Coll._MP_octopus_(1).jpg
1262176_LUB_Coll._MP_octopus.jpg
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

Brian_I

Postby Brian_I » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:47 am

Hi Lub :)

I am almost finished with my netsuke from Mother of Pearl. The piece was a bit of a challenge, to make using a thick piece of mother of pearl that is still basically flat. So I had to think how to make it look 3D. I will show some photos soon :)

Website for my work: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bricats-page-Netsuke-and-jewelery-items-Ive-made/296889113706177

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:15 am

Thanks, Lub, the mother of pearl ones are so delicate looking. They are generally quite thin, no?

Brian, how is your MOP one coming? When you can, share some pics.

"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:29 am

Brian_I wrote:Hi Lub :)

I am almost finished with my netsuke from Mother of Pearl. The piece was a bit of a challenge, to make using a thick piece of mother of pearl that is still basically flat. So I had to think how to make it look 3D. I will show some photos soon :)

Good morning from Suisse.
Very curious to see your job, not easy to imagine and moreover create a subject with this material limitations (size and thickness) like with the HB...
please, you has mentioned dragon and rabbits? coiled dragon perhaps?
waiting for the photos and regards

OldTurtle

Postby OldTurtle » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:56 am

I have got only hako netsuke with mother of pearl inlays. Signed Shunsho (Harumasa).

It is difficult to make good photos ...

ImageImageImage

Attachments
1267747_20100131034238_5l.jpg
1267746_Hako_04.jpg
1267745_Hako_03.jpg

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:21 am

Are we always clear about the difference between abalone shell, for example, and pearl?

Pearls in Japan were written about in ancient times, but they came from the Acoya shell (Pinctada fucata martensii) and were smaller.
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%A2%E3%82%B3%E3%83%A4%E3%82%AC%E3%82%A4

Western pearls were first mentioned by Luis Frois in Azuchi/Momoyama and he commented on how they were worn as jewellery in the West.
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%82%A4%E3%83%AB:Various_pearls.jpg
Piers

Size is something.

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:26 pm

chonchon wrote:Are we always clear about the difference between abalone shell, for example, and pearl?

Pearls in Japan were written about in ancient times, but they came from the Acoya shell (Pinctada fucata martensii) and were smaller.
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%A2%E3%82%B3%E3%83%A4%E3%82%AC%E3%82%A4

Western pearls were first mentioned by Luis Frois in Azuchi/Momoyama and he commented on how they were worn as jewellery in the West.
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%82%A4%E3%83%AB:Various_pearls.jpg

Hi chonchon...attached photo from my coll. this complete shell with growing 5 pearls, believe is the Acoya shell (Clive?) is not common at all to have shell with 5 pcs....read the origin of this shell...
the thicknes part is the conjunction area of the two valves, lower part.

The LUB Collection
Subject: Shell with 5 pearls (bougth from local divers)
Origin: Saparua island, Moluk chain of islands, Indonesia
PD.: Saparua was (or is) a very primitve and small island, some hours boat distance from Ambon, in 1978 at my arrival in the primitive harbour come to me a Lt. army soldier (8 soldiers in total) to check my passport,(goverment control of forced emmigration...) in the registration book of his office I saw 13 years before me the last visit was a couple of austrian...i have eaten bananas, other fruits, rice...My stay only lasted three days, very difficult and risky...the local waters full of sharks...Some hours boat away you have tha Kai Islands my original project destination, the reason: the famous and rares Gold Pearls...but such island were (or still are) under leasing to japanese with the military control of indonesian army...so, my conquest was only this shell with 5 growing pearls...sorry for my english.
Attachments
1267805_LUB_Coll._Pearls_from_Saparua_Island_Moluk.jpg

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:32 pm

OK...this one is not an elaborated netsuke, is simple and primitive,...

LUB Coll.
Subject: big chunk of dry salmon
Type : more a sashi netsuke
Material : thick mother of pearl, with warm nice patina age
Size : L.8.2 cm - W.2.5 cm - Thick 1.7 cm
Unsigned
Himotoshis sign of extensive wear

Provenience: bought in 1994 from private collector in Shinonsen, (Iwami Province), that collector own aprox. 50/60 pcs. of ojimes, all in mother of pearl...fantastic...He din't wish to sale any one.
The work to represent the dry skin of salmon is so minute and perfect, and artist took and very well utilized the natural and irregular shape of the mother of pearl, with his rainbow annuances...as some songs of Nat King Cole this pc. is ..."oldie but goldie"

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Attachments
1267887_LUB_Coll_Netsukes_Mother_of_Pearl_Sashi_005.jpg
1267886_LUB_Coll_Netsukes_Mother_of_Pearl_Sashi_007.jpg
1267888_LUB_Coll_Netsukes_Mother_of_Pearl_Sashi_002.jpg
1267889_LUB_Coll_Netsukes_Mother_of_Pearl_Sashi_001.jpg
1267890_LUB_Coll_Netsukes_Mother_of_Pearl_Sashi_003.jpg
1267891_LUB_Coll_Netsukes_Mother_of_Pearl_Sashi_004.jpg
1267892_LUB_Coll_Netsukes_Mother_of_Pearl_Sashi_006.jpg

Return to “Natural shell and coral”