netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

jawbone

Discussions, identification and analysis of the different types of Bone and Antler
gleeson

Postby gleeson » Mon May 10, 2010 4:00 pm

i've seen one other jawbone on a dealer site but it was in much better condition than this one. i assume there probably was a metal insert with a ring at one time?

i don't find it especially attractive. i guess my father purchased just to have one in his collection. any idea what animal this jawbone came from and how old it might be?
Attachments
977847_jawbone3.jpg
cheers, robert

pjburton

Postby pjburton » Mon May 10, 2010 4:07 pm

I've got one of these albeit mine isn't laquered and has a nice aged look/patina and I have seen them catalogued both as the jaw of a wildcat and the jaw of a fox.
Peter

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Mon May 10, 2010 5:25 pm

Gleeson, I would think it's the lacquered maxilla of a wolf or large dog. Since a hole is drilled all the way through it is more likely a himotoshi than a hole to accommodate a metal fitting I would think but either way a metal fitting would work.
Alan

gleeson

Postby gleeson » Mon May 10, 2010 6:19 pm

[url=http://www.asia-flachsmann.com/netsuke_nr_95.html]here's[/url] a link to an example with a metal ring fitted into the hole.

would love to see yours pj to compare. thanks for both your and AF's comments. :)
cheers, robert

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Mon May 10, 2010 8:00 pm

Gleeson, right you are about the metal fitting. And it may be a mandible rather than the maxilla. I was keyed in on maxilla of wolves this morning as I was reading of the American Indians trimming them to fit inside their own mouths for use with a skin worn over the head for presumably ceremonial purposes. Is there a dentist on the forum who can help here?
Alan

JimLewis

Postby JimLewis » Tue May 11, 2010 1:53 pm

They look like Canine teeth to me.

I find them singularly unappealing, and wonder who would have commissioned something like those. They're almost cultish -- as if they were the emblem of some secret society.

(Shudder :shock::roll:)

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@alltel.net - Western NC - [font=8]People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician[/font]

gleeson

Postby gleeson » Tue May 11, 2010 4:05 pm

perhaps a small wolf? i remember when i posted a wood wolf with deer haunch, carlomango posted a photo of a smallish wolf that is indigenous to japan. do wolves hold any special significance in japanese culture/folklore? this is a stretch, but in one of my son's video games (a japanese video game), the hero is a wolf with supernatural powers.

i agree with you jim. it's definitely not my favorite piece, not even close. i think my father purchased so he would have a an example. it doesn't appear to have been very expensive.
cheers, robert

JimLewis

Postby JimLewis » Tue May 11, 2010 6:40 pm

How large is it? What is it made of?
Jim Lewis - lewisjk@alltel.net - Western NC - [font=8]People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician[/font]

gleeson

Postby gleeson » Tue May 11, 2010 7:48 pm

"JimLewis":34f88ij0 wrote:How large is it? What is it made of?
[/quote:34f88ij0]

from tip to tip, the canines are 4.3cm wide. overall, the piece is 4.8cm tall x 4.0cm. i think it's an actual jawbone that's been lacquered. above, AF seems to agree.
cheers, robert

Return to “Bone / Antler”