netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Staghorn netsuke subject identification

Discussions, identification and analysis of the different types of Bone and Antler
chonchon

Postby chonchon » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:39 am

For reference. Not sure if this is the best place to put this. Some discussion of staghorn was done in Chon's Bits'n Pieces thread. Clive also posted a chunk recently... but where? Some photos of staghorn attached.

One side has been decorated in (?) Ainu style? The other has been polished and shows what polished staghorn can look like.. You will also notice that holes have been drilled in various places to (?) help the nerve channels to dry out, or for whatever purpose.
Attachments
932826_RIMG0285.JPG
932825_RIMG0283.JPG
932824_RIMG0282.JPG
932823_RIMG0281.JPG
932822_RIMG0280.JPG
Piers

Size is something.

JimLewis

Postby JimLewis » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:59 pm

The decorations in the first picture remind me a LOT of old Eskimo art -- which kinda makes you think . . .
Jim Lewis - lewisjk@alltel.net - Western NC - [font=8]People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician[/font]

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:21 pm

"JimLewis":32g4xx78 wrote:The decorations in the first picture remind me a LOT of old Eskimo art -- which kinda makes you think . . .
[/quote:32g4xx78]
Jim, it could well be Esquimau. [img:32g4xx78]http://forums.netsuke.org/images/boards/smilies/comp.gif[/img:32g4xx78] It was in a an old box of similar bits.
Piers

Size is something.

Clive

Postby Clive » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:41 pm

Hi Chonchon,

Tell me.. do the holes at the top go all the way through to the holes at the bottom?

JimLewis

Postby JimLewis » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:11 pm

"chonchon":1ddgstvp wrote:
"JimLewis":1ddgstvp wrote:The decorations in the first picture remind me a LOT of old Eskimo art -- which kinda makes you think . . .
[/quote:1ddgstvp]
Jim, it could well be Esquimau. [img:1ddgstvp]http://forums.netsuke.org/images/boards/smilies/comp.gif[/img:1ddgstvp] It was in a an old box of similar bits.
[/quote:1ddgstvp]

Hmm. I was really hinting at a possible common ancestral art tradition for them.
Jim Lewis - lewisjk@alltel.net - Western NC - [font=8]People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician[/font]

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:53 pm

Jim, would that be a 10 to 12 thousand year old connection? A solid land bridge has been gone for a long time. Actually that type of design can be found all over the world in artist decorations including 1000 year old Anasazi Indian pottery, Pre-Columbian art of South America and Meso-America and African decorative arts, etc. I think these incised angled lines are simply a pleasing and easily achieved decorative technique so was employed widely. But you are quite right about bein reminiscent of Eskimo designs, especially when applied to antler or bone.
Alan

gleeson

Postby gleeson » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:17 pm

"chonchon":1utejei3 wrote:For reference. Not sure if this is the best place to put this. Some discussion of staghorn was done in Chon's Bits'n Pieces thread. Clive also posted a chunk recently... but where? [/quote:1utejei3]

it was this post in the sea life thread in the subjects & legends forum...

[url=http://forums.netsuke.org/post/show_single_post?pid=38553437&postcount=16:1utejei3]http://forums.netsuke.org/post/show_single_post?pid=38553437&postcount=16[/url:1utejei3]
cheers, robert

JimLewis

Postby JimLewis » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:55 pm

[quote:2jk3is6p]Jim, would that be a 10 to 12 thousand year old connection? A solid land bridge has been gone for a long time. Actually that type of design can be found all over the world in artist decorations including 1000 year old Anasazi Indian pottery,[/quote:2jk3is6p]

There were (and probably still are) very similar eskimo/inuit/etc. populations all around the northern extremities of the world, not just up in North America. These people came across from Asia, and not everyone made the crossing.

I know the designs are similar to many North American aboriginal cultures, including the Anasazi and Hohokam -- but they too are (most of them, at least) descendants of the Bering crossing :) when you get right down to it.

Pure speculation, of course, but everything does seem to be connected to everything else at some point (or time) or another, and these kinds of traditions tend to be very long-lasting and conservative.

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:08 pm

Especially if you consider that the norther aboriginals of Japan are white and bearded and thought to originate from Siberia...:)
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:55 am

"Clive":hq6c5fi4 wrote:Hi Chonchon,

Tell me.. do the holes at the top go all the way through to the holes at the bottom?
[/quote:hq6c5fi4]
Clive, I think so, but let me get back to you on that this evening when I get home and can double-check. Why, BTW?
Piers

Size is something.

Return to “Bone / Antler”