netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Marine Ivory Netsuke of Man holding down a catfish with a double gourd

Discussions, identification and analysis of the different types of Marine Ivory
souldeep

Re: Marine Ivory Netsuke of Man holding down a catfish with a double gourd

Postby souldeep » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:15 pm

Exciting... I look forward to hearing something new on the Namazu David.

The topic has been covered extensively on this forum in the past, along with articles shared by Alain and Gleeson. It seems Vlad may have found some corrupt historical links. Vlad, or anyone else, if you find historical threads that need some cleaning up please share them thread by thread, one by one as they are found, on the technical issues area of the forum and I'll fix them manually.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:12 pm

Alain D's Namazu articles are in the Bibliography to my INSJ article and discussed. There is so much previously written on this book length topic that the Bibliography which I included (for those who wish to go further) runs two pages. I did not refer to any of Gleeson's materials in my research or writing, but our Namazu-e print selection may overlap since there were some 400+ Namazu-e prints that appeared within months after the 1855 Ansei Edo Quake (before bakufu censors shut them down) and I've probably collected digital images of nearly half that amount, from which I selected a number of them for discussion in my article. Luckily, the Namazu-e prints of that period are all old enough to all have been in the Public Domain for a long time.

I appreciate all who have shared Namazu information here and in several threads which I listed in my Bibliography.
The discussion in this thread came too late as my article was basically 'put to bed,' finalized in layout form a week and a half ago, but my Namazu Obsession lives on. I'm enrolling in the Betty Ford Clinic for Namazu Withdrawal now.

As for adding new thoughts, Martyn, I tried to take an interdisciplinary approach, drawing together many strands, and exploring how they inter-relate.

I believe my efforts will have advanced research in the field, and still left room for others to follow with more, but our INSJ readers will be the final judges!
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:42 pm

DSW90049 wrote:I'm enrolling in the Betty Ford Clinic for Namazu Withdrawal now.

:lol:
DSW90049 wrote:As for adding new thoughts, Martyn, I tried to take an interdisciplinary approach, drawing together many strands, and exploring how they inter-relate.

Good angle - I find the subject interesting - I will enjoy :)
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

netsuke(enthusiast)

Postby netsuke(enthusiast) » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:40 am

What was the consensus with this piece?

Tama

Postby Tama » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:39 pm

I have gone back and read this entire thread, the consensus is pretty clear to me. It might help to reread again.

netsuke(enthusiast)

Postby netsuke(enthusiast) » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:50 pm

That the piece is early 20th century by Mitsushige or his follower?

Tama

Postby Tama » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:02 am

A follower because of the writing, it's not exactly a known Mitsushinge signature. Yes 20th century. Very good.

netsuke(enthusiast)

Postby netsuke(enthusiast) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:52 am

Is meiji period a reasonable guess?

Tama

Postby Tama » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:51 am

Meiji= 1868-1912
Taisho= 1912-1926
Showa= 1926-1989

From what the other collectors had determined, do you feel it is Meiji? Pre and post WWII would place the time more toward Taisho/Showa. Take another look back, the answer is there!

netsuke(enthusiast)

Postby netsuke(enthusiast) » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:10 am

My apologies, I had meant late Meiji, early Taisho.

Return to “Marine Ivory”