netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Marine Ivory Netsuke of Man holding down a catfish with a double gourd

Discussions, identification and analysis of the different types of Marine Ivory
frankgreddick

Re: Marine Ivory Netsuke of Man holding down a catfish with a double gourd

Postby frankgreddick » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:49 pm

SoulDeep, as requested I will stop speculating on the sellers items, I apologize if it was any inconvenience. I have been handling Asian arts for some time now, but have recently gotten into netsuke.

Tama

Postby Tama » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:07 pm

Which books on netsuke are you using for reference and research? That question is still unanswered.

frankgreddick

Postby frankgreddick » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:10 pm

Currently online resources, but I have purchased the LAZ book.

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:36 pm

frankgreddick wrote:Currently online resources, but I have purchased the LAZ book.

Sorry Frank, don't take it personally, but you are at least 2 -3 years from properly using the LAZ. It teaches nothing about netsuke possible age and authenticity - basics of which one needs to learn before anything else.
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

MakkaPakka

Postby MakkaPakka » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:22 pm

Like you I'm very new to the netsuke world and I have found the following books to be extremely helpful in getting me started.

Netsuke by Neil K Davey. This book is great it's based on the M.T. Hindson collection, it gives you a good overview of each school and artist in the collection. It also has a useful list of known Netsuke artists listed in the back. It can be expensive but I shopped around on the internet and got my copy for around £100.00

Japanese Netsuke by Julia Hutt. Good book to start with as only £30 and gives a great overview based on the collection at the V&A Museum

Netsuke 100 Miniature masterpieces from Japan. The book is based on the collection at The British Museum and was my first book.

Since I joined the INS I have started reading the back catalogue of INS journals which have great articles from collectors and dealers.

There are plenty of others but hope my relatively low cost list helps?

frankgreddick

Postby frankgreddick » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:04 pm

Thank you for the advice, Rob.

Tama

Postby Tama » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:09 pm

Bravo Rob!

Frank, I know I said I use the single volume of Laz along with Netsuke by Neil Davey. I should have been more clear. I started with the Davey book and added Laz as I started improving on my ability to identify signatures. My first book was Netsuke Familiar and Unfamiliar by Raymand Bushell. That is the book that began my understanding of netsuke. It has more every day and unusual netsuke, not masterpieces. Some netsuke pictured in the book I thought were absolute crap at first because of the books with the masterpieces, until my eye developed, then I could see they were genuine netsuke and appreciated all their beauty. It takes loads of time and lots of study, but worth it all in the end.
Last edited by Tama on Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

neilholton

Postby neilholton » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:48 pm

All of the aforementioned titles are super, I probably pick them up many times a day. I would add though, nothing can replace studying netsuke in hand and as much attention if not more attention must be channeled towards this type of learning. I realise it might not be possible to examine many netsuke, depending on where you live and your circumstances, but this is why our INS conventions are so important for the netsuke student. At a convention, the guys gals walking about have examined millions of netsuke combined and you have access to a room filled with real life netsuke.

Operafan

Postby Operafan » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:17 pm

Frank,

As a relative newbie, I fully agree with Jill's recommendations - I also started with the Bushell book, got hooked, then the Davey book, and by now I have got a whole shelf of books in which I dive on a daily basis.

In addition, my best recommendation would be to join the INS. On top of the reason which Jill mentioned earlier in this thread, membership allows you access to the archive of INS journals - an amazing source of information, and... for what some members would call 'banana price', compared with the prices of most good books ;) .

By the way, the book 'Netsuke - Masterpieces from the Metropolitan Museum of Art' is quite good, and available for free download.
Alex

frankgreddick

Postby frankgreddick » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:03 am

In addition, I have a few old Christies Auction catalogs showing some very nice pieces.

Return to “Marine Ivory”