netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Marine Ivory?

Discussions, identification and analysis of the different types of Marine Ivory
Natasha

Postby Natasha » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:46 pm

Ups I cannot edit or delete..... moderator, please correct. :)

Clive

Postby Clive » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:47 pm

Natasha wrote:I'm going to publish my work process, the material - a walrus tusk, so I decided to read what is written about this materaly. I found this topic, too less for such wide diapasone of marine ivories.
Let's improve this situation. What means "Marine ivories"?
1.The bones of marine mammals skeleton (ribs, scapula, vertebrae of whales, Steller's sea cow, a walrus penis bone, etc.)
2. The teeth of marine mammals, narwhal and walrus tusks, etc.

Have I forgotten anything?
Reading 4 pages of this topic I found an interesting question of mss, reply #32. This pipecase really looks as "marine ivory", it can be ribs of whale.

I'm not sure what informs opinion over in your neck of the woods Natasha but I'll be very surprised if the bones of marine mammals are authoritatively regarded anywhere else as marine ivory. Have you a reference from either the netsuke or zoological literature that would suggest such an application of the term.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:30 pm

Natasha, I'm not sure what you want corrected. Perhaps a re-posting would be easiest. Your photo with yellow tape measure is from near the distal end of an oosik (walrus penis bone) and is not ivory. But it is nice to see that can be carved well. Whale and walrus "parts" cannot be imported to California, especially with the new law SB96 going into effect in July.
Alan

Natasha

Postby Natasha » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:23 am

Probably I had to write that whale bones look as ivory. Whale bones were often used for carving in Japan and other countries. I do not intend to violate the laws of California, I - a law-abiding citizen. On existing walrus pieces I have the CITES certificate. :P

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:33 pm

I understand. Did you use fossilized mammoth tusk for the albino mammoth you showed? It gives a nice contrast.
Alan

Natasha

Postby Natasha » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:52 pm

It is not my carving, it is for an example, using whale bone and mammoth tusk (colored).

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:19 pm

Tks so much Natasha for your educational informations 8-)
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

Return to “Marine Ivory”