netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Type of ivory?

Discussions, identification and analysis of the different types of Marine Ivory
Vlad

Postby Vlad » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:36 pm

My other guess will be a mammoth molar tooth crown based on some horizontal layers, but not Schreger lines seen on the side view (picture #2), but this would just exhaust all the possible options and will bring us to square one, wouldn't it? :)
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:13 pm

Vlad, I had assumed the dark curved surface was not near the core but rather the outside surface of a tusk or tooth taken from near it's junction with the skull, not near the tip. I thought perhaps the little "mountain" was naturally shaped and was right at one front or rear edge of said tusk (I was looking at a fossil mastodon tooth on my desk as I was taking the photos and one of it's ends reminded me of the ivory piece). I post below the mastodon tooth which "got me to thinkin'" so you may see what I'm referring to. It is a true fossil as opposed to most walrus which, as you point out, is better referred to as "ancient". By the way, mastodon and mammoth teeth look remarkably different in their structure considering how similar their bodies were. I believe you were thinking of mastodon (not mammoth) with your molar suggestion. I've included a side by side comparison for you.

Attachments
924009_MonkeyNetWithMammothTooth.JPG
924010_PICT2424.JPG
Alan

Clive

Postby Clive » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:46 pm

Hi Alan.. in order to register with the Iron Brush you must send a message to [url=mailto:admin@theironbrush.org:13ifp36p]admin@theironbrush.org[/url:13ifp36p] including your e-mail adress and real name... But I'll send you the PM as suggested.

Regards
Clive

Clive

Postby Clive » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:45 pm

I've posted a link to this thread, Alan's origanal pictures and my own analysis pictures on the Iron Brush..

Heres a link to that thread.. [url=http://www.followingtheironbrush.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=1516&p=14228#p14228:34yairu3]http://www.followingtheironbrush.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=1516&p=14228#p14228[/url:34yairu3]

Regards
Clive

Return to “Marine Ivory”