netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

"Aged" ivory

Discussions and analysis of Elephant Ivory
DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:55 pm

Interesting and informative thread.:shock:, we need to see objects in neutral lighting, and in person, to really appreciate what aged ivory looks like.
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:20 pm

You are right, David! The museum pieces actually were much whiter in reality (closer to the very first of them), but it was a very dark room with only very limited light source, which my camera was "not ready for"...

Just look a the "melting" quality and the a little translucent appearance of the old and naturally handled ivory then. And not much cracking there...

Here are some pictures taken in Louvre at night under similar circumstances of a similar age ivory items, but which were apparently not handled that much, though.
Attachments
1377000_10.jpg
1377001_11.jpg
1377002_12.jpg
1377003_13.jpg
1377004_14.jpg
1377005_15.jpg
1377006_16.jpg
1377007_Elephant,_Japanese_okimono_netsuke,_Louvre.JPG
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:34 pm

I wish I wasn't right about this, Vlad,
because it is truly maddening to get the actual color that our eyes see.

Part of it is that our human eyes have a broader range and spectrum than our DSLR sensors do - netsuke photography is hard enough, but when you also consider the color difficulties, it is almost overwhelming.

Best you can do is to try to figure out the museum lighting, or other venue's lighting, then learn your DSLR well enough to approximate that type of lighting, and to test your white balance right before you take the pic, or take a few pics (what they used to call 'bracketing' in the old film days) using different lighting, and then compare what you get to the piece in front of you to see what looks closest. There are also white balance cards that you can use to set your camera, however most museums and galleries use lighting which enhances the look of the piece, but is not everyday and usual lighting when you are outside in the real world.

I don't have the ultimate answer, but perhaps others might - Gleeson, and others, made some excellent contributions to the Netsuke Photography thread (to which I recommend that the photographically inclined refer) and they might have some helpful insights on this topic to add.
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:12 am

DS, Vlad...very educational your comments about the relatioship between light and real preception, in photos or reality...I made this
test with one ivory crucifix at home...one with special light, the other normal light...see the difference...
Attachments
1377362_BLUE_BOX_001.jpg
1377361_Copia_di_BLUE_BOX_001.jpg
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:51 am

Great experiment, Luigi, and very illustrative!
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Excellent, Lub, that shows the point I was discussing. Actually, it can even be more of a shift than that - I can get a photo of an ivory piece to go from nearly pure white to deep yellow, with just a small manipulation of something like 'color saturation,' or playing with the white balance - there are many other ways to change color too.

We need to remember this when looking at photos of netsuke!Image

Return to “Elephant Ivory”