netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

How to be notified via email: 1 - Receive Email to a Topic You've Posted in

Miscellaneous tutorials such as password changes or new user registration.
souldeep

How to be notified via email: 1 - Receive Email to a Topic You've Posted in

Postby souldeep » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:31 am

In response to some recent feedback I thought I'd create some new user guides on how to receive emails when posts are submitted to this site. This is the first in the series.

The options are quite versatile, so I will create a few scenario guides to simplify the options. By default these options were set to off because some users may feel like they are being spammed.

Tutorial Synopsis

Would you like to receive an email update when someone posts a reply in a topic you've posted in? This is the tutorial for you.

Step 1

To start you will need to be logged in under your account. Click on your account name on the top right of the site, which in turn, displays a drop down menu. In this drop down menu click on the User Control Panel (UCP) link as encircled in green in the following diagram.
en1.jpg

Step 2

On completion of Step 1 you will be taken to your UCP. On the top area of your UCP please click on the Board preferences tab, then on the sub menu on the left, click on Edit posting defaults displayed in red text in the following image.

Please click on image to enlarge...
en2.jpg

You will see an option Notify me upon replies by default. Click on the Yes radio button as encircled in green in the image above. Make sure you save this new preference by clicking on the Submit button to complete the update.

NB: This will create an automatic topic subscription whenever you submit a post to a topic.

Step 3

On completion of Step 2 please look again to the left menu and click on the link entitled Edit notification options displayed in red text in the following image.

Please click on image to enlarge...
en3.jpg

You will see an option Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed. Click on the Email check box as encircled in green in the image above. Make sure you save this new preference by clicking on the Submit button to complete the update.

Conclusion & Notes

That's it. You will now receive emails whenever someone posts to a topic you have also posted in.

Just like on the old forum, you won't receive an email for every post on the topic - you will only receive the first reply on the topic, since your last visit. This is by design. You do not need 100 email notifications for the same topic, if there were 100 replies. You only need to be notified that there are replies to the topic. Then you know to visit the forum and catch up on the topic.

I hope this will serve as a useful prompt to visit the forum to read replies to a topic you have contributed to.

Next Tutorial in Series:

How to be notified via email: 2 - Receive an Email When a Topic You are Reading is Updated
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Return to “Miscellaneous Tutorials”