netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

INS President's letter

Clive

INS President's letter

Postby Clive » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:02 pm

Our INS President letter in Journal wrote: "Please consider how you might help with a donation or by becoming more active in the Society..

Dear Marsha,

With the above passage from your President's letter in mind (Volume 38, No 1, Spring 2018).. can you tell me if the INS Board of Directors is intent on ignoring the ever increasing sentiment amongst the broader membership that the society be democratised... for the ordinary membership of the society to finally get a meaningful say in who is elected to the board, how the board functions and who our next INS President might be?

Kindest regards
Clive Hallam (INS member for almost 3 decades)

KPR

Re: INS President's letter

Postby KPR » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:09 pm

Answering these questions would interest me and many others as well.

The answer could and should be in the members only area.

Almost all the more important information that comes with me comes from the rumors kitchen and this is not the right way.

I'm sure the board members are working seriously in the background and this picture is wrong.
20100727_Nikko_Tosho-gu_Three_wise_monkeys_5965.jpg
Klaus

Clive

Postby Clive » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:47 pm

Hello Klaus,

My decision to post in the public section of the forum was considered and deliberate..

As a similarly long standing member of the INS you will also be keenly aware that over the years we have lost a considerable number of our old friends from the society.. many of them have passed away or simply developed other interests... but you'll also be aware that a good number have left the society because they no longer feel the society offers them anything. I'm in contact with a good number of such people and believe it's in all our interest to do everything we can to encourage them back to the society. While I recognise that the difficult questions I ask might be more challenging to the INS leadership in the public domain.. their answers/or indeed lack of response needs to be readily heard by those lost members... something that would not be possible if this thread was posted in the members only area.

KPR

Postby KPR » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:11 pm

Clive wrote:...... While I recognise that the difficult questions I ask might be more challenging to the INS leadership in the public domain.. their answers/or indeed lack of response needs to be readily heard by those lost members... something that would not be possible if this thread was posted in the members only area.

Clive, an explanation that convinces me.
The participation of these individuals in the possible formation of opinion is important.
Especially to hear why they have left the INS or why they are not joining.
Last edited by KPR on Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Klaus

Operafan

Postby Operafan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:47 am

I have joined the INS only some two years ago, so from a relative newbie perspective, would be interested to have more information about the way the leadership of the organisation is elected / appointed, the activities of the board, the way decisions about actions (or lack of actions) of the INS are taken.

Klaus wrote:

'Almost all the more important information that comes with me comes from the rumours kitchen and this is not the right way.
I'm sure the board members are working seriously in the background and this picture is wrong.'

I share his opinion, and believe that more transparent information flow would encourage people to take part in the activities of the society and come up with new initiatives, for the benefit of the whole netsuke community.

Winston Churchill said in 1947:

“Many forms of Government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.”
Alex

Clive

Postby Clive » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:43 am

Hi Alex,

As a relative "newbie" to the INS.. but, if I may add.. a greatly respected "newbie".. one of the things you and others might not be that aware off is that the INS was created many years ago to replace an earlier organisation.. an organisation which many of the now legendary netsuke collectors of the late 20th Cen had serious problems with. Problems, in essence, not unrelated to the issues that beset the current society. Perhaps something born out of reaction always ran the risk of itself becoming the very thing it sought to address.. and perhaps the only solution remains the same as before.. the cycle repeating itself. Who knows.. :(

Thanks for posting a contribution to this thread... much appreciated.

ABland

Postby ABland » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:30 pm

I am also relatively new to the INS and am not very active on the forum though I often lurk in the background. The journals and the knowledge shared on the forum are invaluable to me as someone with an interest in netsuke as antique art pieces and netsuke as a living craft. The idea of having some say in the how the INS is organised or even on its agenda would be something I would embrace positively.
As an aspiring contempory carver it saddens me that netsuke as a living art form is not given more consideration especially when I have discussed this with longer term members who advise this was once the case and the society has gradually moved further and further away from the subject. I hope that my recent euronetsuke journal interview (for which I was very grateful for the opportunity) may signal a change in direction but time will tell. Although contemporary netsuke are not to everybodys taste in is in all collectors interests for the craving skills to remain alive to ensure antiques can be restored and preserved for future generations.

Ultimately I want to see the society continue to be relevant and I want to see it not only survive but thrive. Faliure to adapt to change or listen to the membership ultimately puts at risk its existence which would be a loss to us all.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:41 pm

Dear Marsha, Alan and Rosey,

I respectfully address this to you three as it is apparent you are the only current board members willing to stand up and openly discuss the boards activities and it's future. For this I thank you. None of you are paid for the time you give to keep the society running. I remain mindful of the voluntary time you generously donate to us all as the membership.

What concerns me is that the current ivory situation has been actively impacting the society since 2014. It has come to the point that the ship has hit rough seas, what worked in the past may not be enough to weather the gathering storm clouds and rising seas.

It is my firm belief that there is little benefit analysing how we found our way into this storm, because the storm can no longer be outrun.

I believe that those members of the crew unwilling to stand on the top deck and support you guys reef the sails, it would appear, are either seasick or prefer fairer weather.

If my analogy offends - that is not the purpose. Instead, my purpose is to openly show how grossly unfair I feel it is that only the few are left to face the storm, and how serious be the waves we face.

I believe that the community also has a responsibility to help. After all, we are all in the same ship - give the passengers a chance - unlock the lower deck doors and invite those willing to the top deck.

OK, a rather dramatic analogy :lol: But none of us should underestimate the effect the ivory laws are having across the society. And to use an insensitive pun - it's become the elephant in the room.

To navigate these current times the INS needs a stable president, surrounded by active and enthusiastic staff elected into clearly defined roles.

If the INS is willing, I propose you take an active decision to invite the membership to volunteer through a biannual democratic application process?

1. create a set of exec board positions so clear functional roles are applied for. Each role will need a summary job spec so it is clear what skills are required.
  2. 60 days before the next INS convention invite all the membership to apply to any of the open roles. For those applying, CV's should be attached outlining any relevant experience and how they would bring value to that role.
  3. If you have a case where more than one member applies for the same role they should be privately informed. They can then choose to be part of a membership voting contest, or to concede.
  4. Any roles being retained are also open to being contested by a member. If both members retain the will to stand for the same role, this would require the contesting members to take part in a membership vote.
  5. 30 days before the convention any contested positions will go out to the vote for the membership. Membership will have 30 days to cast votes.
  6. At the convention AGM meeting, the new board positions are announced.

We can get caught up procrastinating over details - but if it helps in anyway, I am able to provide you with a proved and effective constitutional model that we tested and refined over the 10 year period I served on a non profit board.

Let's all become accountable for how the society moves into the future, it is an unfair burden to leave the difficult decisions we now face to only the few active board members. I say let's all own this problem now, let's see if the membership really cares for democracy and the future of the society.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Clive

Postby Clive » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:42 am

souldeep wrote:If the INS is willing, I propose you take an active decision to invite the membership to volunteer through a biannual democratic application process....

Very interesting Martyn, I however would propose that we all embark on an entirely different journey, at least initially. A journey in which we first explore how the society's broader membership might interact with its leadership and how its leadership interacts with its broader membership. One could start such a journey in a number of different places but I would suggest that a really excellent beginning would be for us all, ordinary members and the board alike, to seriously consider a pretty fundamental question.. is the traditional hierarchical model of governance that we current use really the most appropriate for the INS in this day and age?

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:18 am

I would encourage those who could offer their talents in areas that would benefit the INS to please communicate with any of the Board or even here on the forum. It seems clear to me that we do not currently foster a two way communication path between membership and the elected officials. Many have felt that much of the general membership doesn't care enough to become involved in INS business and decision making processes and only want to receive their Journal, have conventions offered for them to attend, and possibly attend chapter functions. That is an attitude we need to abandon.

Opening a dialog here between members is likely critical to finding a new path forward. I know many conversations take place between small groups of members and individuals that need to be heard if we want to understand what it is the membership will support. Our means of communication are far beyond the old days of snail mail and expensive long distance phone calls in which this organization was born. There is no reason your voices can't be heard.

The current state of affairs on ivory regulation has made some collectors apoplectic and we should have taken a more active approach to letting our opposition know we agree on many points while presenting them with the reasons antique and quality legal modern ivory carvings should not be banned. Some of of threw money at the problem but failed to strategize and collaborate enough to achieve our goals. I think we needed to fight for our specific art form and demonstrate that it has value, can be distinguished from rubbish (our NLO topic is an example) and is deserving of preservation.
Alan

Return to “INS Members features & Announcements”