netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

3D photography for the educational enhancement of the INS Journals

jimfowlie

Re: 3D photography for the educational enhancement of the INS Journals

Postby jimfowlie » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:28 am

That would be a great tool for dealers to show off their inventory.
Jim (INS member)

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:20 am

I am very impressed with what you have accomplished, Martyn. The second one you attached was great. I liked the larger size, and for some reason, the first one illustrated did not turn full circle for me. I will have to go back and try again. Really this feature will make a huge difference in viewing and really understanding the carving. Thanks for all your work on this!
Note: Yes the first one works well too. I just didn't wait long enough for it to load. I like the larger example better though.
Thank you Martyn! Very exciting!
Judy

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:59 am

Hi - a great response from the community. Thank you all for taking the time to test and provide feedback.

Based on your responses I will stick with 640 on the page - and 1600 (full HD) on full screen. I now feel pressured into building a forum interface sooner, rather than later :shock:

The one issue I have been thinking through is how I can design an interface as simple as possible so it encourages all the community to use the new feature. Watch this space. Until that point - all you need do is send me the images and I'll get it done for you manually.

RoyT wrote:Did you take 24 pictures of the mask or are there any computer generated "in between" pictures involved?

I'm very impressed Roy - there are indeed 24 images. You counted them - patient of you :D You've grasped exactly what is taking place here.

No - no computer generated in-between pictures involved. Simply 24 shots around the Netsuke and the code I modified for the forum does the rest on the fly (pins it all together to make a 3D model).

I will get a photography tutorial up in the next week or so - that will provide what I've found to be the easiest method in my experiments, along with instructions on how to generate the images required.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:02 am

jimfowlie wrote:That would be a great tool for dealers to show off their inventory.

Hi Jim :) Coincidentally, I heard from two yesterday suggesting exactly that. Yes it's great for inventory. However we've introduced the feature here to compliment enhanced study in the Journal, and on the forum.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Operafan

Postby Operafan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:28 pm

Hi Martyn, great feature, thank you ! Works perfectly well on my Windows 10 notebook and on the iPad.
Looking forward to the tutorial ! :)
Alex

lmallier

Postby lmallier » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:40 pm

Super feature.
Imagine that for auction houses pictures. :love:

Louis
-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Qui n'a pas les moyens de ses ambitions a tous les soucis" 
Talleyrand

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:10 pm

Looks great! I can certainly see how this may enhance the experience and be used by Journal authors, dealers and Auction houses.
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:27 pm

AFNetsuke wrote:Fantastic, Martyn!
Would you please describe the process for taking serial photos around the netsuke in some detail?

I've just added a new tutorial answering your questions found here - viewtopic.php?f=494778&t=8079308&p=69097#p69097

mss

Postby mss » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:24 pm

Congratulations, Martyn, on a truly useful addition to Forums functionality. Look forward to using this feature. Well done.

Milton

Clive

Postby Clive » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:08 am

Excellent Martyn, that works very well.

Return to “INS Members features & Announcements”