netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

INS Member Competition...

souldeep

INS Member Competition...

Postby souldeep » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:49 am

PREFACE

I recently had a request for a new smiley to be introduced on the forum. Unfortunately the basic set, that came with PHPBB, did not include the emotion requested. Downloading one smiley from a random artist would have also looked odd in a set, where the rest, stylistically matched :?

I decided the best thing to do was create our own personal set. I loosely based the new hand drawn smiley's upon those you should all be familiar with (E.g. on WhatsApp or iPhone). Some artistic license has been exercised :lol:

So why a members competition? Well to launch the new set of smiley's I thought I would give one lucky INS member the opportunity to be immortalised with your very own smiley, created just for this forum.

I have created an Easter Egg ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_egg_(media) ) smiley on the forum. An Easter Egg is a hidden code in software that displays a surprise when you figure out the code. In this case you are looking for a hidden smiley. This smiley can only be found by inserting the hidden code when you edit, or create, a post.

HOW TO WIN?

The first INS member to find the hidden smiley will win, and be for ever more immortalised on this forum. I will create a caricature smiley of the winner, to be added to the set.

N.B. the winner will need to send me an image of themselves.

HOW TO FIND THE HIDDEN CODE?

You are probably used to adding Smiley's to your post by clicking on a face, found on the right hand side of your editor when you post. As the smiley is hidden from this list, you cannot use this method to find it.

In the image below you can see the smiley set you'd normally click on to the right, and an example smiley code :lol: underlined by a squiggly red line in the editor, to the top left;
Image8.jpg

To find the hidden smiley you will need to type in the associated code in your post. For example you can enter :) or :smile: into the post editor which will produce the image of the Smile ( :) ) emotion when you submit a post.

When you are ready to find the hidden smiley you will need, at your leisure, to play around with different codes. The hint below narrows down the subject of codes you might try.

A Hint: You'd want to use this hidden smiley when you see a great Netsuke shared on the forum.

Good luck and happy hunting :x
Last edited by souldeep on Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Vlad

Re: INS Member Competition...

Postby Vlad » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:18 pm

Great idea, Martyn. How do we check if the guess is right, though? :geek:
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:00 pm

Meanwhile I just came up with a different idea, which I found to be also quite funny and amusing. This is an individualized set of emoji, expressing rather more complex feelings, associated with common phrases based on ones own netsuke. One can also come up with own interpretation at will. :D

Lovely
Lovely.jpg

It's sad
it's sad.jpg

It can't be true
It cant't be true.jpg

I would've killed
I would've killed him.jpg

If you say so...
If you say so....jpg

I would rather not
I would rather not.jpg

I don't think so
I don't think so.jpg

Got you
Got you.jpg

Boaring
Boaring.jpg

Are you sure
Are you sure.jpg
Last edited by Vlad on Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:01 pm

And some more... :)
Whatever
Whatever.jpg

What did you say
What did you say.jpg

That's a scary though
That's a scarry thought.jpg

That's gross
Tha't gross.jpg

Ouch
Ouch.jpg

No kidding
No kidding.jpg

Never mind
Never mind.jpg

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:35 pm

That is fun - the "that is scary" is very cute. Unfortunately they don't reduce to meaningful images at smiley size :(

I did try for you, but below is an example of one reduced to smiley size. I think you'll agree photo images don't work to express emotion at pixel level.
Image9.jpg

Vlad - I have expanded the section above explaining on how to find the hidden code - does that clarify?
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Bakurae

Postby Bakurae » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:54 pm

Thanks for the clarification, Martyn.
I came up with > < as code for a smiley signaling applause (put 'em together) for a great netsuke someone has posted, but I don't think it's the one. Is that the general principal, though?

Alison

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:23 pm

Hi Alison,

That is the right idea. However as your code displays in the post, the same way as it did when you typed it into the post editor, it is not the one.

Anyone will instantly know when they find it, because the hidden smiley will appear in your post, after you submit. Alternatively you can use preview to check first, without needing to submit a post.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:46 pm

Either I made this competition to difficult - or no one fancies being immortalised with their very own smiley character.

So to move this one and close this thread off the answer to to the hint;

You'd want to use this hidden smiley when you see a great Netsuke shared on the forum.

is...

:lust:

The hidden smiley to use when you see a knock-out Netsuke looks like - :lust:

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:37 am

Very expressive, Martyn! I like it, but my computer skills would keep me from finding it! Can't you put him up with the rest of the dudes? :o please??
Judy

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:47 am

Sure - I'll add him but all you need to do is type :lust: in your post editor when you are writing and he will appear when you post the message :x

Return to “INS Members features & Announcements”