netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

New INS Members Benefit - Independant poll for the Educational section published!

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:05 am

Some exciting news...

We have introduced a new section to the educational area entitled Polls and Research.

To kick off this section, I've converted a document from Neil Holton into a HTML viewable page. We never like to do things in halves eh - the content opens with a rather ballsy title - Who was the greatest Netsuke carver?

To access the document please type in your membership username/password at www.netsuke.org and navigate to the document under the following menu options;

This thread has been left open purposely for any discussions or questions you have for Neil on his findings.

I'll close with a thank you to Neil for sharing and taking the time to provide content for the INS site.
Attachments
2460085_Untitled-15.jpg
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:40 am

Great job NH!...tks...more and more educational articles to enrich the
NetsukeWorld...and more reasons to register as RM for those who really and seriously wish to be collectors...

In my opinion many other names are in the pinnacle of great artists, ad mentioned in the article.
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

Oishii

Postby Oishii » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:07 pm

Neil and Martyn, 8-)
Jan

borat

Postby borat » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:16 am

What a wonderful article Neil, with some great pieces! :)

NetsukeManiac

Postby NetsukeManiac » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:02 am

One correction. Figure 13 states that the sambiki saru is unsigned, yet it clearly shows Kokusai's brand on the reverse side.

Dave

Image Image
Attachments
2460904_Sambiki_2.JPG
2460905_Sambiki.JPG

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:32 am

That's not Neil's mistake - it's mine in putting together the HTML article David. I created figure 1 etc beneath each picture. Good spot hawk eyes - thanks for highlighting it. In the small image I didn't see Kokusai signature tucked in there hehe.

Article corrected.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

NetsukeManiac

Postby NetsukeManiac » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:06 am

You're forgiven! :D

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:59 pm

Please let us know your ideas for having more Original Content for the Member's Only area.

Thank you, Neil, for this contribution!!Image
ENJOY.
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

woodrow

Postby woodrow » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:15 pm

This is a most welcome addition.

The Spring 1996 (16/1) edition of the Journal had an article by Neil Davey "Changing Tastes" In it, he compared and contrasted the views of Hindson and Winkworth (1946) on the ranking of carvers with those of four leading collectors of the day (1996). In the highest ranking (no particular order):

Hindson/Winkworth: Goho, Kokusai, Shugetsu I, Shuzan, Minko, Hoshin, Masanao of Kyoto, Tomiharu

Collector A: Masanao of Kyoto, Miwa I, Toyomasa, Okatomo, Mitsuhiro, Kokusai, Masaka, Masatsugu, the great unsigned

Collector B: Masanao of Kyoto, Soko, Masaka, Tomiharu, Kokusai, Mitsuhiro, Masatsugu, Shoko

Collector C: Masanao of Kyoto, Gechu, Kokusai, Yoshinaga, Tomotada I, Toyomasa, Masatsugu, great 18th century unsigned

Collector D: Gechu, Masanao of Kyoto, Tomiharu, Ryo, Tomotada II, Toyomasa, Ikkan, Masatsugu

As an aggregate, the ranking has similarities to this most recent poll, but there are notable differences, for example the weighting givien to Gechu and Masaka.

neilholton

Postby neilholton » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:32 pm

Thank you Woodrow, Neil's information which I re-read today is very informative. Thank you for adding.

I had a long phone call conversation today with a client, he told me off again for not including the likes of Sessai, Zeshin, Ganbun or Masatoshi. I'd like to add that I am unable to pick a favourite artist, the two that I constantly fight between only one was represented in the poll.

Return to “INS Members features & Announcements”