netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

New INS Members Benefit - Session 1 of the Educational Podcast section is launched!

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:51 pm

CONGRATULATIONS TO MARTYN & us all!!!!!!!!!!!
Our dream has been to drag both the INS (specifically, this website and Forum) and this field, kicking and screaming at times, into the 21st Century Digital Age, and this is another critically important step which represents a lot of hard work on Martyn's part. Congrats to all the people at SoulDeep Productions for making this possible!!

Antonio Pereda (Old Kappa), my former Co-Moderator, and one of the nicest people I ever met (one of my mentors, and mentor and friend to so many), would have been so proud to see this . . . .

This was one of our dream features for the future of this Forum and website, along with the digitized INS Journals, which are already available.

Let me give some help to Mac users.
This Max Podcast, which is outstanding, if you are using a Mac will not run on your QuickTime video viewer without adding another program - that is why some Mac users are getting an error message. I ran it last night on a new MacBookPro Retina (mid-2014 build).

On my Mac, I can't simply play this because it is a .wmv file extension, which is a windows format.

The Mac does prompt the user, however with a page of file extensions, matched to websites for downloading the add-on software to the Mac native player for video (QuickTime) - in this case Flip4Mac, which, for the basic, stripped down one, is only $5.95 USD to download, and then run your QuickTime viewer and it should play nicely.

Martyn suggested another, free viewer, called VLC.

Also, a new MacBook Pro Retina like mine (mid-2014 build) doesn't come with an Adobe Flash player either, so it may be a two-step process for the Mac user: 1) download Adobe Flash Player, and then; 2) download Flip4Mac or VLC, and I'm sure there are other viewers for download that you can find on the internet if you Google search. Steve Jobs loathed Adobe which is why Flash players are not on iPads and some Macs..

The content of Max's talk, about culling ultimately 100 pieces at the British Museum from their 2300 netsuke collection, for the recent book, and about the Soken Kisho, and other most interesting, informative and educational things, is wonderful to watch and very professionally done. It runs about 40 minutes and the hope is that Martyn will be producing more of these to be accessed here on this website so that we preserve and present actual lectures for educational purposes here along with all of our threads of discussion, discourse, display of pieces from our collections, and more.

ENJOY, and if you have still having trouble viewing, kindly email me and I'll try to help. Due to a lot of work and other commitments, I may not respond instantly, but I promise to respond and try to help you as we all run different computers and many different operating systems. Whatever computer and operating system you run, you should try to keep updating operating systems as new ones come out because, if you fall far enough behind, you will not be supported by the provider any longer, and you will not be able to do fairly routine things eventually, including viewing a podcast like this. Also, I'm not sure it will be possible to view this podcast on an iPad - I will fiddle around with that this weekend, but I don't think you will be able to do that, so use a laptop. And remember, when in doubt about computers, ask a 14-year old, a digital native!Image
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:50 pm

Sorry...the sound is OK, no video....I have Windows 8, Microsoft Office programs...
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

Tama

Postby Tama » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:14 pm

I was able to view on my iPhone.

Job well done Martyn!

Very informative. I had my British Museum book in hand to reference with Max as he went through various pieces and prints in the book. Very professionally executed, thank you producing such a quality podcast.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:33 pm

Luigi, I've viewed it on two different computers with Windows 8 and MS Office without problem.
Alan

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:12 pm

Tks Alan...will try again...
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

kaibutsu

Postby kaibutsu » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:44 pm

Well, it seems like I log in OK, but 'members only' doesn't come up. hope my 'mascot' status doesn't deter...
INS mascot

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:13 pm

For those unable to access the Members-only section on Netsuke.org the log-in may be different than your Forum log-in as it is for INS members (not all Forum members).
Alan

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:37 pm

I have a Macbook pro OSX Yosemite 10.10.2, and had no trouble logging on and viewing a very informative first session from Max Rutherson. I Thoroughly enjoyed the presentation and content!
Martyn--I also Loved the Percussion music at the end! All around wonderful! Thanks so much for all your hard work. Can't wait for the next POD!
Judy

NetsukeManiac

Postby NetsukeManiac » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:35 pm

I had no problem watching it on my Firefox browser. This was quite an interesting discussion of early netsuke, though I have to admit that I cringed a bit when Max held the three tall ivory pieces in one hand and I heard 'clinking' sounds! I know it was done for illustrative purposes, but I could never see myself handling three nice pieces in such a manner. I particularly liked the talk about the manual powered lathes used in the production of manju type netsuke. The 'engine' powering these lathes must have had a good arm workout!

SC

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:40 am

I cringed at the clinking noise too, SC, but Max has handled netsuke a long while so I just tried to relax and enjoy the show!
Judy

Return to “INS Members features & Announcements”