netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

New INS Members Benefit - Session 1 of the Educational Podcast section is launched!

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:09 am

The INS has something very exciting to share with you all...

We have a new section in the members area of the INS website. It's an educational section that will be growing with benefits as we get the opportunities to provide further digital content.

To officially open this area we have launched the first session from a set of educational video's you will see being uploaded over the next year. The opening session has been kindly hosted by Max Rutherston and is entitled - Netsuke and Inro: The Beginning, a presentation with examples from the British Museum. Max really is a natural and enjoyable host and this video is packed with so many fascinating examples and ideas - you won't want to miss it!

Although I've compiled an extensive list of sessions for this year (still requiring some logistical finalisation) it would be good to let you guys have an idea of what's to come. The selection of examples below have already been agreed with the individuals hosting (and in most cases the date for the recording of the session has now also been set).

[list][*]Schools and attribution – Neil Holton[/list][list][*]Japanese aesthetics in Netsuke – Noriko Tsuchiya[/list][list][*]From Craft to Art – Paul Moss[/list][list][*]Characters in Netsuke – Rosemary Bandini [/list]Each session will have a section for Q&A's right here on the forum that the host will kindly answer. The Q&A section will be locked (the reason for locking the thread is to keep each sessions Q&A session succinct and to the point) to only display the questions and associated answers by the host. To submit a question for the Q&A thread all you will need to do is send me a PM with the question you want submitted (and if you want your name associated with the question of to stay anonymous). There will be a time period of one month after each session is launched in which you can submit questions. They will be compiled together and presented to the host to answer in an email. Results of the answers will be posted back into the locked thread.

If you are still contemplating joining the INS I believe the addition of digital journals (historical back to 2010), and these educational videos, leave you bang out of excuses to delay joining a moment longer. With all the other associated benefits to becoming a member of the INS your $125 can't be better invested! You can join here http://www.netsuke.org/page-659663
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:14 am

To access this area you will need to log in with your INS membership email and password (it may differ to the username and password you use on this forum). It is simple to access the new educational podcast but I have illustrated the steps below.

STEP 1

Enter your INS membership email address and password and click the [Login] button.

STEP 2

On a successful login a new menu item will appear on the left hand side named Member-only.

Mouse over the new menu link and you will see a list of options as displayed in the next image.

STEP 3

Simply click on the Educational Podcasts option and you will be taken to the related page loaded on the right hand side of the menu.

Attachments
2275718_Image2.jpg
2275719_Image4.jpg
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:49 am

Tks Martyn...
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:04 pm

Wow, serious movement afoot! This must be what you were discussing. Congratulations. Wishing you/us all the best.
Piers

Size is something.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:59 pm

Martyn has been working quietly in the background for some time on his own to put this project together and when I was privileged to preview the video last weekend I have to say I was overwhelmed with what he's been able to produce. I understand the taping took place over four days and Martyn has edited himself out leaving just the "host" to appear as if giving an informal inviting lecture. With the line-up of "hosts" he has proposed this will be one of the greatest contributions to netsuke education ever. I hope you all will find the time this weekend to view the first video featuring Max and give us some follow-up impressions. And those of you who have been delaying joining the INS, now is the time to take advantage of so much more than us old-timers ever had access to.
Alan

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:41 pm

Wow, Martyn! This is going to be fantastic! I didn't even know it was here! I am afraid members haven't noticed as they are going to the threads they are used to posting on... Is there anyways you can drop little notes announcing these education pods? Wherever folks are currently posting would be a good idea to get everyone looking in the right direction. Now I am going to go watch the first taping!
Thank you so very very much for all your hard work! Wow! that is all I can say!
Judy

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:16 pm

AFNetsuke wrote:I understand the taping took place over four days and Martyn has edited himself out leaving just the "host" to appear as if giving an informal inviting lecture

Lol - the taping took place one looong evening. I don't think Max would have been able to put up with me for four long days hehe!

The four days was the total time mainly editing. I'm afraid it was quite a learning curve and I have rubbish free editing software. I think I need to invest in something that will make my life easier for future sessions!

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:22 pm

jbarnewoltj wrote:Is there anyways you can drop little notes announcing these education pods?

I sent the template for the membership this morning - Aisha has recently come on line and we are finalising the email before sending. You guys on the forum heard it first :)

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:25 pm

Martyn, I will watch it tonight.  Can't wait!
Judy

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:51 pm

Martyn, as you know my very slow DSL connection at home pretty much cripples me for video watching so I've come to the local library and watched it again already! It's a great beginning discussion of the development of netsuke and Max did a beautiful job of presenting it.
Alan

Return to “INS Members features & Announcements”