netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Tokyo, Tobacco & salt Museum 'Netsuke and Sagemono'-Accessories for Kimono- exhibition

Events, meets and discussions around the Japanese chapter.
Mamushi

Tokyo, Tobacco & salt Museum 'Netsuke and Sagemono'-Accessories for Kimono- exhibition

Postby Mamushi » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:03 am

From Saturday 2 April 2016 until Sunday 3 of July2016 the Tobacco & salt Museum in Tokyo held an interesting exhibition of netsuke and sagemono. There are exposed 370 netsuke from the Edo and the Meiji period but also an interesting selection of Sò school carvings and many contemporary carvers aswell. Since netsuke have a close relationship with sagemono there are even 70 sagemono displaied. Entrance from 10am till 18pm,close on Monday.Individual ticket for adults is 300¥. Address 1-16-3, Yokokawa, Sumida-ku TOKYO 130-0003
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg

AFNetsuke

Re: Tokyo, Tobacco & salt Museum 'Netsuke and Sagemono'-Accessories for Kimono- exhibition

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:08 am

Thank you, Mamushi for this information. I hope all our members in Japan and also some of those who may be traveling will be able to view this exhibit. Welcome to the new "netsuke & sagemono lounge". I hope you will join us here in the future.
Alan

NetsukeManiac

Re: Tokyo, Tobacco & salt Museum 'Netsuke and Sagemono'-Accessories for Kimono- exhibition

Postby NetsukeManiac » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:13 am

xxx
Last edited by NetsukeManiac on Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:30 am

Yes, this looks interesting. Many thanks, Mamushi.

PS My wife saw her first snake of the season on Monday, though from her description of the red dots, it sounded more like a young Yamakagashi than a mamushi!
Piers

Size is something.

ikataro69

Postby ikataro69 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:07 pm

First of all, I saw a wonderful exhibit of tobacco pipes, pouches and netsuke at the Tobaco and Salt Museum's previous location in Shibuya 2 or 3 years ago and I enjoyed it very much. This is a unique museum, now installed in a new and spacious building which is conveniently located about 15 minutes by foot from the amazing Tokyo Sky Tree at Oshiage.

I was very excited to learn of the current exhibition, and I must say that although the nearly 500 items (or more?) were for the most part quite wonderful, but frankly, it was one of the most poorly mounted exhibitions of such small carvings that I have ever seen. By contrast, I have seen wonderful exhibits all over Japan, such as the great netsuke and sagemono at the National Museum in Ueno Park, which includes the wondeful, late Prince Takamado's collection. All of these were mounted within a few inches of the glass or acrylic panels and properly lit such that one could get close enough to see them all quite well.

Sadly, such skillful display tecniques were not used with this very important collection on display at the Tobaco and Salt Museum.

Although there were several dozen pieces laid out within glass display tables about waist high, the backs of the netsuke were for the most part entirely obscured, except for one or two which had a small but poorly located mirror placed to show some feature on the reverse.

The biggest problem was with 3 or 4 display cases as much as 20 feet long where the netsuke, inro and tobaco poucheds were laid out, some of them as much as 30 inches from the viewer's eye, and most of these highly detailed items were placed so low that nobody but a dwarf with a spyglass could have seen them well! :?

Incredibly, to view this collection, we had to crawl across the floor on our hands and knees, because almost everything was placed within these cases on display boards less than 1 meter off the floor! That were were reduced to crawling may have ben amusing to some, but my knees cannot tolerate that kind of stress for long, and there were many elderly people who I am certain could not have seen things well at all. Not only was this uncomfortable and inconvenient, but the display lighting was unable to illuminate the details of most of these calf-height netsuke, and as a result, they could not be seen clearly... :evil:

Can you imagine the scene of nearly 100 people in the gallery at one time, 1/2 of whom were crawling on thier hands and kness, trying not to topple onto one another? When I expressed my astonishment to the lovely gallery hostess, she indicated that this placement was to accomodate people in wheelchairs (of which there were none) shortly afterwards a man in a wheelchair did come into the galery and it was soon obvious that he was also having difficulty as, after several minutes of craning his neck and hunching over toward the wall cases, he reversed and rolled out with an obvious look of annoyance.

Honestly, I think the people that created this display must be bonkers, under 30 years of age, or else extremely incompetent.

I will go again, but I will bring a cushion for my knees and a flashlight with which to light the netsuke which have been so ineptly displayed.

Hopefully, they will not interfere with my efforts.

KD ~ Ichikawa, Chiba

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:17 pm

:lol:

KD - a very warm welcome to the lounge :D

What an excellent review - infused with humour. It's certainly sounds like the most bizarre of setups.

We look very forward to hearing more from you.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:27 pm

Sounds like we will need a monocular, something like one of these:
http://item.rakuten.co.jp/loupe-studio/km-412/
Piers

Size is something.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:39 pm

More like one of these Piers :lol:

post-25300-133877563177.jpg
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:03 pm

Haha, yes, excellent! :lol:
Piers

Size is something.

ikataro69

Postby ikataro69 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:35 pm

souldeep wrote: :lol:

KD - a very warm welcome to the lounge :D

What an excellent review - infused with humour. It's certainly sounds like the most bizarre of setups.

We look very forward to hearing more from you.

Many thanks!

It's good to be here, although the weather's been so nice since the rain stopped, we've been out and about so much that I have barely begun to explore the lounge.

Looking forward to it!

~ Kerry @}:^)

Ichikawa, Chiba-Ken.

Return to “Tokyo (Japan)”