netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Kyoto, Kiyomizu Sannenzaka Museum, Late Edo early Meiji Netsuke

Events, meets and discussions around the Japanese chapter.
chonchon

Postby chonchon » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:58 am

Thanks Martyn. My wife comes from the other side of Japan, the Japan Sea coast, which is where Iwami is and which is, as you mention, famous for their pear growing areas.
Piers

Size is something.

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 am

Unfortunatelly for us collectors no one subject wasp and pear is recorded carved by Iwami
artist or Iwami school in spite the region is famous for his pears...

In the NetsukeWorld all theorys and personal researchs are welcome considering that the vast majority of netsukes are shrouded in mistery...

The best recorded subjects W&P was carved by Gekko (Nagoya) Bazan (Nagoya) and
Kogetsu (quite probably Nagoya as well)...

I have the dream that my W&P unsigned could be be the first carved in Iwami, but is just a dream and mistery...the important is the quality as usual......
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:04 am

Interesting information Luigi. With Iwami being only some 80 miles from Kyoto, and then on another 60 miles or so to Nagoya it's not unreasonable to consider that some interaction took place.

Do any of the recorded pieces you mention from Nagoya display the ukibori technique?

I see the ukibori technique (generally considered as originating from the Iwami school) being used in the Tamba province as well (of course these were as good as neighboring provinces). It could be coincidence but strong similarities between the ukibori results suggest the techniques were discussed or observed between the artists.

Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:06 am

chonchon wrote:PS Too late to change the title? Should be Kiyomizu with a Z...

I have just had an idea.

If you start a new thread with the correct spelling in the title (If I start it the thread will be under my name rather than yours) I will then move all the posts from this thread to your new thread and delete this one.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:03 am

souldeep wrote:

Do any of the recorded pieces you mention from Nagoya display the ukibori technique?

All of them...and see attached one macro photo of surfece of my piece, oberve the detail of himotoshi, not with any specific delimitation but only using the natural shape of the raw wood material, (by the way the Iwami carvers were not at all accurate where to place the himotoshis)

I see the ukibori technique (generally considered as originating from the Iwami school)

Is extremely difficult to demonstrate Iwami carvers were the inventors of such technique but certainly were the carvers with his most extensive use and perfection.
Attachments
1941830_The_LUB_Collection_(2).jpg
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:26 am

Thanks for the info and sharing the piece Luigi :)

Although institutions such as Bushell wrote that the Iwami school was the originator of the technique I understand your counter argument.

I guess we have to decide which pieces denoting the technique are the oldest and work on from that. Not an easy task.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:10 am

Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:11 am

Good call, Martyn. New thread started. 8-)
Piers

Size is something.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:18 am

Threads merged into this new thread.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:11 pm

What a piece! Congratulations Luigi... I would like to see more but I have digressed this thread. Could you start an Iwami thread and share more photos of your pieces?

Return to “Tokyo (Japan)”