netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Kyoto, Kiyomizu Sannenzaka Museum, Late Edo early Meiji Netsuke

Events, meets and discussions around the Japanese chapter.
chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:08 am

"Elaborately executed Late Edo and Meiji Netsuke, with a focus on the school of Morita Soko"

http://www.sannenzaka-museum.co.jp/kikaku.html

(Kyoto, till 17 August 2014)
Piers

Size is something.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:42 am

Thanks for sharing Piers - the Iwami pears look enticing!
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:22 am

Luigi from CH

Piers, tks so much for your info.
They have a catalog to buy? how?...

Martyn, why Iwami pears?....
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:11 pm

Luigi, if I can remember, I will give them a call tomorrow. There is a possibility of going to Kyoto to see this. It's only about three hours from here by car.

Dave (SC) used to be local; I wonder if he still lives there?

(There is an e-mail address and phone number below the poster.)
Piers

Size is something.

NetsukeManiac

Postby NetsukeManiac » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:08 pm

Piers, I am currently a resident of Honolulu but will return to south Kyoto prefecture for a visit in September.

SC

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:35 pm

Jet setter! Nice for some... :D
Piers

Size is something.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:16 pm

lub41 wrote:Martyn, why Iwami pears?....

Forgive my hypothetical statement. I have come to think of them as Iwao province work. Although the wasp carvers (which the pears appear to be by) don't seem to be geographically recorded anywhere I made the link based on a few factors;

1) The majority of the wasp pears I've handled have the ukibori technique applied. This technqiue was perfect to recreate the native Nashi pair bubbled skin.
2) The Iwami carvers seemed to predominantly carve simple nature subjects especially insect type creatures on twigs/leaves and appear to have produced seasonal moments in there works. The pear and the drunken wasp perhaps one of those great late summer moments.
3) the wood and dark stain is also consistent with the Iwami work.

Whilst these points are not conclusive they have, in my mind, allowed me to consider the likely region they have come from. It is always easy to debunk a theory - especially in Netsuke - but I am always open to others positive opinions on where they may place the wasp carvers.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:36 am

Sharp observation there Martyn. One thing I would check out is the shape of the pears, Japanese pears being round like apples. What we think of in the west as 'pear-shaped' pears were to the Japanese a foreign novelty. There were 3 types, native Japanese pears 'Nashi', Chinese pears, and Western pears. The Chinese ones came in assorted shapes.

They may have been planting and growing them here by then though, although the ones carved above could well be Chinese pears. (Considered exotic?)

1. Nashi
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%8A%E3%82%B7#mediaviewer/%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%82%A4%E3%83%AB:Pear-tree,katori-city,japan.JPG

2. Chinese pears (the 2 in the middle)
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%81%E3%83%A5%E3%82%A6%E3%82%B4%E3%82%AF%E3%83%8A%E3%82%B7#mediaviewer/%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%82%A4%E3%83%AB:Shinko_Yali_and_Whangkeum.JPG
Piers

Size is something.

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:38 am

PS Too late to change the title? Should be Kiyomizu with a Z...
Piers

Size is something.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:23 am

Hi Piers - it would seem as a mod I cannot change the subject line either. Sorry.

Yes the shape did make me wonder. It was the skin texture that was reproduced in the works that made me opt for the native pear however it looks like the pear you've shared also has a similar texture. Thanks.

Return to “Tokyo (Japan)”