netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Tokyo, Tobacco & salt Museum 'Netsuke and Sagemono'-Accessories for Kimono- exhibition

Events, meets and discussions around the Japanese chapter.
AFNetsuke

Re: Tokyo, Tobacco & salt Museum 'Netsuke and Sagemono'-Accessories for Kimono- exhibition

Postby AFNetsuke » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:30 pm

Thanks, Reinhardt. Some information there I had not heard. I wonder how many pieces Bushell acquired from the Jonas collection.
Alan

NetsukeManiac

Re: Tokyo, Tobacco & salt Museum 'Netsuke and Sagemono'-Accessories for Kimono- exhibition

Postby NetsukeManiac » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:39 pm

xxx
Last edited by NetsukeManiac on Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

lohrberg

Postby lohrberg » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:08 am

AFNetsuke wrote: I wonder how many pieces Bushell acquired from the Jonas collection.

Alan,
this is a highly interesting question. I am curious as well. We don't know.
What we know is, that when both gentlemen met, probably between 1947 to 1950, one (Bushell) was quite young and Jonas quite old. Then we know, that Bushell, who pulled netsuke from a rather dark existence into full light was not only a collector and researcher, but a strong businessman, who knew, where he could make his profit.

In your vicinity lives the old netsuke legend Richard Silverman. Could you please ask him. I remember Richard Silverman mentioning, he would like to open up parts of Bushell's life. And he added, however he prefered a little more time to pass. Years are gone since then. Please ask him. May be he will answer, that he needs even more time. Very interesting ............,

Reinhard

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:31 pm

The next INS Journal, coming to your mailbox soon, will include the first part of a two part series of a lengthy and detailed interview with Richard Silverman, "Richie," to most all who know him. It is part of our INSJ "Modern Netsuke Pioneers" series which began a couple of years back with a spotlight on a man who knew Raymond Bushell in those early years in Tokyo (Leonard Weisman) - that article,*/ by the way, is being reprinted in a French publication shortly (I will provide the name when I have access to another of my computers), and is accessible to our members who have access to our online-archive of digitial INSJ's in the membership area.

The interview is conducted by Dr. Susan Atchley, who has known Richie for her whole adult life, and promises many insights into these and other questions, and provides stories of the history of the people who made this field what it is today. Also, if you have access to the Indexes of INSJ's, I recall that when Bushell had his long-running INSJ Q&A column, there were specific discussions of his relationship to Jonas, who was much older at the time.

I re-read this whole thread this morning, as the recent posts have revived it, and I was a bit embarrassed at several of our comments, including mine, on the problems with the exhibition which is the topic of this thread, which seem a bit cruel looking back. While we were all being quite humorous, it is worthy to note that netsuke and sagemono are notoriously hard to exhibit in a manner in which they can be seen and appreciated up close. The Bushell Collection Exhibition at the LA County Museum of Art has the best presentation that I have personally seen - tall displays housed in plexiglass, at perhaps eye to shoulder/waist height (depending on your size), so that you can get within inches of the front and back of each piece. Apologies for our earlier comments to this esteemed museum if they seem unnecessarily cruel in retrospect, reading them months later! Sometimes, when mistakes are made, it is best to admit them and then chalk them up to the tuition of experience and education, learning from them, and then move on.

*/ Volume 33, No. 4, INSJ Winter 2014, at p. 20,
"Modern Pioneers: Leonard Weisman –
Netsuke Hunting with His Lawyer and Friend
Raymond Bushell in 1950s Japan"
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

lohrberg

Postby lohrberg » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:02 am

AFNetsuke wrote: I wonder how many pieces Bushell acquired from the Jonas collection.

Hi Alan,
Bushell gave some information about F.M. Jonas and where his collection went. In the Q & A series, published in the Journal Volume 6, Number 2, 1986 on page 19, Bushell was asked by Vincent de Jaegher from Belgium about former collectors, in this case F.M. Jonas. Here is Bushell's answer:

"F.M. Jonas was the son of an English tea merchant and a Japanese mother. He was brilliantly educated at both English and Japanese universities. Two sons by a first marriage use their mother's family name of Mori and are in business in Kobe. His daughter by a second marriage is named Lucy Jonas and for a time at least worked for Pan American Airways in Honolulu. His widow lives in Rokko, a town near Kobe.
Jonas was much interested in the miniature Japanese arts, but once he explored a catagorie whether netsuke, inro or yatate, and published his book or paper, his interest as a collector dissipated. Jonas published the first book on netsuke in English. It is a most useful source. The illustrations for the book consisted of Jonas' personal collection, which he sold to a Chicago dealer named Bensabott. Jonas said that Bensabott assured him that his client would donate the collection to a Chicago museum."

Who was Bensabott? Did he buy the whole collection or parts of it? Had there been a donation of Jonas'netsuke to a Chicago museum? This all seems hidden in clouds, unless someone knows more of it,

Reinhard

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:29 pm

Thanks, Reinhardt. Think I need to go back through my old journals. Knowing the year of the supposed donation might be used as a starting point for a query of museums in the Chicago area to see whether records can be located. Do we know of any Jonas pieces in private hands today?
Alan

lohrberg

Postby lohrberg » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:13 pm

AFNetsuke wrote: Do we know of any Jonas pieces in private hands today?

Yes, Alan, one piece I know of, because I own it. It is illustrated in Jonas' book opposite of page 28 in colour. It is a peach and a wasp, Hirado ware, 5,0 cm,

Reinhard
Attachments
018-06.JPG
018-01.JPG

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:40 pm

So we know some of the Jonas collection is out among collectors and not locked in some museum. I hope others will look to see if they can identify other pieces and how they came to reside where they are today. De-accessioned from a museum or never donated??? Yours has no museum collection numbers on it.
Alan

mss

Postby mss » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:51 am

#156 in Jonas book:
Attachments
L1010331.jpg

wyattreed

Postby wyattreed » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:58 am

This is excellent!

Return to “Tokyo (Japan)”