netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Northern California Chapter Meeting

Events, meets and discussions around the SF chapter.
AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:40 pm

The NorCal (SF) INS local chapter will hold its next meeting

Sunday, Nov 15, 2015 at
2PM till ?(we won't throw you out and on occasion some have not made it out before next morning)

Location: our home on the San Francisco Peninsula which is quick and easy to reach from interstate 280 coming from either the north or south or multiple routes off of Hwy 101. Plenty of parking available.

Membership in INS is not required (we'll twist your arm to join later) and out of town guests are welcome.

Please contact me if you would like to attend via Forum PM or e-mail at AFNetsuke@aol.com (please put "INS Chapter meeting" in your subject line to keep it out of my spam folder.
My phone contact and address will be provided as well as detailed directions if needed.

If you have recent acquisitions for "show and tell" please bring them and be prepared to see lots of other collectors' treasures. There is no specific agenda this time so if you'd like to elaborate on the stories behind your pieces the podium is yours. But I will tell you that more than one collector wants to see some Oni in addition to the ones they will display.
Alan

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:07 pm

Great to see an INS SF Chapter Meeting coming up in November, Alan!;)

"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:57 pm

Our local group got together Sunday afternoon at our home on the San Francisco Peninsula for a long-overdue meeting.

After some introductions over hors d'oeuvres and drinks in the kitchen we adjourned to the dining table where everyone produced boxes of treasures to share.

My wife, Anne, started us off with a short presentation on types of ceramic netsuke and sagemono accompanied by several examples that were passed around including our Inro of the type featured in a Kress Journal article of Spring, 2012 with blue cobalt underglaze used for seals, paste, and ink. This one still has a quantity of red seal paste in the bottom container. Marsha shared a fine Tokyo ware inro en suite and a selection of porcelains by modern netsuke-shi Armin Muller and David Carlin, a donation to the INS which will be available for future fund-raising.

Mandy Anderson followed with a PowerPoint presentation on the history of the Oni in Asian art, Japanese Oni tales, and carried through to the fact that Oni-like creatures are also in the modern video game Dungeons and Dragons (news to me but we need some young new folks in netsuke!) along with seven examples from her collection of little demons. Our Forum Reporter for the Journal, Pat Calhoun, had an interesting little Oni on the forehead of Okame mask netsuke. I also brought out my new wood Setsubun Oni you've previously seen here and perhaps on the back cover of the Spring Euronetsuke Journal.

Thiela, who many will remember from London, LA, and Baltimore conventions, traveled all the way from Reno, Nevada the day before in order to stay ahead of expected snow in the mountains. After telling us how she became involved with netsuke a box of 10 wonderful tiger examples emerged along with an okimono by Hakuryu to complement her netsuke by the same artist.

Our newest member, Chip Lutton, who many of you met at the Baltimore convention along with wife, Jennifer, joined in and brought some very interesting pieces for our enjoyment. Chip's collection promises to have many more gems for our future viewing pleasure.

Steve (CalBear here on the Forum) discussed the direction his collection was taking, noting that he initially bought mostly inro but has recently been adding netsuke and forming some wonderfully matched sets. He was on a quest in Baltimore to do just that. His inro with Onigawara tiles on a pavilion and similar themed ivory roof tile netsuke complimented Mandy's presentation. Steve circulated a number of other fine examples displaying numerous lacquer techniques.

Everyone shared netsuke and participated in open discussion that could have gone well beyond the four hours most of us spent. Not giving up that easily, eight of us went on to dinner at a local Afgani restaurant where we feasted on kababs of delectable meats and seafood. Everyone vowed to get together on a more regular basis in the future.

(L) to (R) are Steve, Linda Meridith (our Journal Editor), Jim Brady (Docent at the Asian Art Museum of SF and storehouse of information to complement our materials), Anne, Mandy, and Marsha (past-President of INS)
(L) to (R) Mandy doing her PowerPoint presentation, Marsha, Chip, Thiela, Alan, Pat (Forum Reporter), Anne, Steve, and Jim
Attachments
2511887_Chapter_meeting_11_15_15_(1).JPG
2511895_Chapter_meeting_11_15_2015_(2).JPG
Alan

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:58 pm

Alan - what a great post sir :D

I only wish - as Gopi infers - I really was the Slone Ranger - I'd of taken my private jet and joined you!

I am very impressed by Thiela's efforts. That's quite a journey for a Netsuke meeting. Dedication exemplified.

I wish we saw more or CalBear here on the forum. His posts always valued.

Marsha an absolute institution - even after retiring from the job - still showing her love for Netsuke. We salute you Madam.

And to new blood - welcome to the family Chip. I am sure we've already been acquainted via the forum.

Alan thank you - you guys that open your homes to share in this passion should be truly rewarded for your hospitality and warmth. Great write up and thank you for sharing.

Now where's that Kebab order leaflet... you got me hungry :D
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:47 pm

Thanks for a great report on your INS SF Chapter Meeting, Alan!Image
Hoping you can bring a contingent down to our INS Los Angeles Chapter Meeting set for Dec. 13, 2015, with Max R as our featured speaker.

Next best thing to being there . . .
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

Tama

Postby Tama » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:57 pm

Alan~ Thank you so much for sharing your chapter meeting with us. I am simply heart broken I have no chapter anywhere near me.

carlomagno

Postby carlomagno » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:59 pm

Cmn Jill let divide the world and meet in Miami!! What would think Judy about that?
Nec spe nec metu

Bakurae

Postby Bakurae » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:42 pm

Mandy's presentation on oni sounds wonderful!  I hope she'll get to do it again one day for a bigger group of us--or publish it in in the INS journal?  Thanks for the great report, Alan--the next best thing to being there.

Alison

Tama

Postby Tama » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:59 pm

carlomagno wrote:Cmn Jill let divide the world and meet in Miami!! What would think Judy about that?

You may be on to something there JC!

carlomagno

Postby carlomagno » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:14 am

yes. I never shot to air je je, how many fellow members live in Florida?
Nec spe nec metu

Return to “San Francisco (USA)”