netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Northern California Chair

Events, meets and discussions around the SF chapter.
AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:46 pm

At the Baltimore convention I was appointed Chairman of the SF Chapter which is probably better referred to as the Northern California Chapter of INS.

It has been too long since our last meeting and I hope to plan one for later this month or November once we figure out a best date/time and location. It will likely be held again at our home or in a private home on the SF Peninsula if not in SF. (it's great having three homes offered for the meeting so a restaurant doesn't have to kick us out when we invariably go overtime)

My contact is:
(Alan Fisher, MD)
AFNetsuke@aol.com or by PM here on the Forum

Feel free to message me if you have questions and I'll then provide my phone number and address.
If any INS members are traveling to our area I hope you will contact us so we can try to get together and share ideas and netsuke.
Alan

AFNetsuke

Re: Northern California Chair

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:37 pm

I regret that I must step down as Chair of the San Francisco/Northern California Chapter due to selling our home.
The good news is that Anne and I will be moving at the end of November to Ventura County, California which is an easy drive to all our netsuke friends in the LA/SoCal Chapter. We look forward to meeting with all of them for their regular and also more impromptu meetings and more visits to the LACMA.

Although SF does not have the numbers of collectors it did in decades past there is a core of dedicated collectors/students of netsuke and I know one will step up to continue regular meetings. I also hope to have some of the SF members visit us at home and attend LA meetings as our guests.
Alan

billweb

Postby billweb » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:50 pm

Alan, San Francisco's loss is our gain. :D Look forward to meeting you at out next So Cal meeting.

Bill

Hiryu

Postby Hiryu » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:23 am

Thanks Alan for your leadership and energy during your short tenure. We'll miss you and Anne, although we're hoping that future Northern California meetings will entice you back up for the weekend!

Chip

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:51 am

Thanks, Chip. It's been great getting to know you guys and sharing netsuke and learning from each other. We'll be back up but you can come down as well. Double the meetings.
Alan

calbear

Postby calbear » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:20 am

Alan, as you know, I too have appreciated your leadership and hospitality (well, maybe that's Anne's hospitality ... just kidding) ..... Thanks for setting the bar high for a small but dedicated Northern California Chapter .... We'll do our best to maintain or exceed the standard ... and will certainly look forward to our visits to the Southern California Chapter as well as your occasional return to Northern California ....

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:57 pm

Alan, we in the Los Angeles INS Chapter (you can also call it the Southern California INS Chapter) enthusiastically welcome you.

Has anybody considered whether it may be time to merge the Northern (San Francisco) and Southern (Los Angeles) INS Chapters, perhaps temporarily until San Francisco can grow with our help? We've have some success in rebuilding the Los Angeles Chapter in recent years (we still have a long way to go to get back to the numbers we enjoyed up to about a decade or so ago) and perhaps a merger could help the San Francisco Chapter get its footing and grow with our help. Also, a San Francisco area meeting for all California members to attend might be helpful!

Of course, all San Francisco Chapter members are always cordially invited to atttend our quarterly Los Angeles INS Chapter Meetings - the next should be set for around the year-end holidays - check in with Dr. Susan Atchley, the Chairperson.

Other ideas?!?
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:09 pm

Steve and Chip are already discussing plans for SF Chapter so things are in very capable hands. A yearly joint meeting would be great with pre-planning and some activities beyond the usual couple hours meeting. Needs to be enough to get people to fly in and stay in hotels although I can accommodate a couple if you don't mind a bit of a drive down from our Calarosa Ranch home.
Alan

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:14 pm

VERY capable hands, indeed!
Good to know.
THX
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:45 am

Happy Thanksgiving to all on this American holiday.
I'm both happy and thankful to be able to announce that our Forum friend, Steve Koppich, aka CalBear here, will be taking over as Chair of the San Francisco Chapter of INS. Steve's main focus has been inro but he has been a quick study of netsuke as he started adding them and ojime to form complete sets. Like many of you, we met Steve through the INS and he quickly became a good friend. Please join me in welcoming Steve to his new leadership role.
Alan

Return to “San Francisco (USA)”