netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Asian Art Musem of SF exhibits

Events, meets and discussions around the SF chapter.
AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:37 pm

Spent a nice half day and lunch with our Forum member Calbear (Steve) at the Asian where we saw two really good exhibits of ukiyo-e prints, "The printers Eye" and one called "Seduction-Japans Floating World". There was a 58 ft. long handscroll depicting various scenes of the Yoshiwara pleasure quarters outside (northeast) of Tokyo. I had not realized the meaning of the northeast direction as the reason the brothel houses were placed there...along with other unsavory businesses like slaughter houses and leather tanneries, etc. A really topnotch exhibition which is on view into May if you are in the area. And it is accompanied by loads of information about the artworks on display from the John C. Weber Collection.

I should also mention that they have rotated the netsuke selection with about 120 new pieces to see and this time the descriptive cards were available with subjects, artist names and approximate dates. Also new inro are out. Sorry I didn't get any decent photos on the i-phone through the glass to post.

Attachments
2251712_photo.JPG
2251715_photo.JPG
2251731_Ibaraki_Demon.JPG
Alan

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:18 pm

Thanks for sharing this Alan. Nothing quite like a pleasant day spent with a member of the Netsuke family looking at fine art. I hope you got the chance to ice the cake with a beer shared :D
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:11 pm

Martyn, I didn't let the others keep me from having a Kirin with lunch.
Alan

Return to “San Francisco (USA)”