netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Sharing with other local INS members

Events, meets and discussions around the SF chapter.
AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:46 am

I spent an enjoyable late morning across San Francisco Bay with our Forum member CalBear viewing a number of inro he had on approval. Happy to say he's keeping three pieces and we discussed a number of features of the various lacquer techniques, subject matter, dating, etc. I hope he will gradually show some selected photos that will drill down with specific questions that all of you may answer. There were quite a few mysteries. Our member dealers can be quite helpful but sitting in another members home with all the references and various magnifying devices is such a great learning experience that I hope all of you will really try to reach out to others and get together with someone in your area...or make a trip to visit one of the better collections.
Alan

calbear

Postby calbear » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:50 am

Alan, I absolutely agree with you ... Having another pair of eyes (more experienced eyes, I might add) to evaluate the various characteristics of netsuke/sagemono is enlightening .... Every collector can utilize their own experience but leveraging the experience of others creates a multiplier effect of questions, challenges, points of view and ultimately leads to a better understanding .....

I'll post a few inro and associated questions over the next few days .... and hope to create that same multiplier effect utilizing the expertise of the Forum regulars ...

Return to “San Francisco (USA)”