netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Buying in San Francisco?

Events, meets and discussions around the SF chapter.
AlHobden

Postby AlHobden » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:46 pm

Hi guys,

I'm heading out to San Francisco in a couple of weeks and wondering if anyone could recommend reputable sellers? I would like to purchase a piece while I'm there as a memento of the trip and as a Birthday gift to myself... (Any excuse...)

Any help, advise or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Al
AlHobden

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:03 pm

Hi Al,

I understand Marsha, our president, runs from SF. Below is the link. I saw some of her stock in London at this years INS convention and it really is quite impressive.

http://www.xanadugallery.us/

Any ideas what you are looking for or you just want to see what grabs you?

Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

AlHobden

Postby AlHobden » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:50 pm

Thanks for the advice!

I was unsure of the amount of stock at Xanadu Gallery as the website seems to have quite a limited selection?

As for what I'm after...

I can't afford to get too carried away as I've spent all my money getting to SF in the first place...

So a fairly modest piece with some age to it would be preferable. Animals are a favourite of mine. Probably a wooden piece due to my budget restriction.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again,

Alex
AlHobden

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:30 pm

Alex, I also would recommend Xanadu. They have limited numbers of better pieces in the showcases on the back wall so be sure to tell them you've heard they have more stock in the basement. Ask whether Marsha Vargas Handley is in when you visit or call ahead to see if she's there as she will tell you the most about the pieces. Last time we were there she also pulled out 4 or 5 boxes of new items to show us in her office. If you are an INS member be sure to mention that...it goes a long way. And if you're not, join today right on this site's home page! Also worth stopping by as it is right off of Union Square on Maiden Ln.(closed t traffic) and is in a Frank Lloyd Wright building which is an architectural landmark. Plan to just park in the Union Sq garage and walk across. There are also some cheaper garages within a few blocks you can find by a google search. You may as well plan on a few hrs. in the area and walk about a bit there. Our Sept. weather tends to be pretty good. The Asian Art Museum near City Hall now has a special exhibit of the Larry Ellison Collection (all top quality Japanese material but no netsuke) which is quite good. We're going tomorrow again. There are also a number of netsuke on display on the second floor but scant information about them.
Alan

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:07 pm

AFNetsuke wrote:The Asian Art Museum near City Hall now has a special exhibit of the Larry Ellison Collection (all top quality Japanese material but no netsuke) which is quite good.

Well I never - my old boss! I never talked Japanese antiques over a drink at Ascot. I wish I had of now.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:37 am

Souldeep, you mean Larry never had you over to his Woodside estate to view his collections and gardens? It's only a stones throw (and a couple hundred million) from where I live. I think there are a few top collectors who should be happy he doesn't collect netsuke (as far as I know). Martyn, there is a book available for about $35 in the museum bookstore displaying the exhibit pieces. It is also sold via Amazon. Our first visit we did the 45 minute docent tour and then looked around a bit on our own after lunch. But then we noticed his personal collections manager (former curator of the Asian) doing a tour for what appeared to be some important people so we hung around the fringe to hear her talk about the collection. It gave a whole new insight on Ellison and the pieces.
Alan

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:11 am

No he didn't and to think he didn't mention that to me pah! Well next time I'm in the area I'll be sure to look him up... perhaps take a nice blueberry pie with me as well - I'm certain he'll remember me - I kinda stick out :). Yes.. he'd like that I'm sure Image

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:44 pm

The Ellison exhibit "In the Moment" has rotated several of the pieces on display and considering it is free with the price of admission to the museum is very worthwhile. After that and lunch we did a docent-led tour of the permanent Japanese exhibits led by one of our local INS netsuke chapter members who possesses a very deep understanding of Japanese culture. Thanks, Jim.
Alex, bag my idea about parking if you are not already in a rental car and just use the public transportation. There are also the usual city tour buses. You might consider a two day car rental though to visit Napa Valley and Sonoma in the wine country and the second day for going down the coast to Monterey/Carmel.
Alan

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:20 pm

Alex, the Asian has 123 netsuke on display now. Unfortunately the other day one of the two descriptive cards on them was missing. Our friend Calbear snapped these shots of one of the pieces thru the glass on an i-phone but you should be able to make out the essential features. Want to guess what is being depicted here?
Attachments
1625728_SFAsian2.jpg
1625730_SFAsian1.jpg
Alan

Return to “San Francisco (USA)”