netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

INS local chapter meeting

Events, meets and discussions around the SF chapter.
gleeson

Postby gleeson » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:55 pm

i was invited to attend the INS local chapter meeting and did so yesterday afternoon. am i glad i did!

the meeting was hosted by AFNetsuke (alan) and was attended by the INS president, the local chapter chair, the INS journal editor, as well as local chapter members.

all together, there were dozen or so attendees with varying levels of experience yet who all shared a fervent enthusiasm for netsuke. i saw some very interesting pieces and was fortunate to get comments/insights on the pieces i brought to share.

i learned as much during this 4-plus hour meeting as i have in months of browsing here on the INS forum! a big thanks for alan for hosting. :)

i encourage others to attend their local chapter meetings if at all possible!
cheers, robert

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:29 pm

We were very fortunate to have "Gleeson" attend our meeting as he brought a wonderful variety of pieces for our viewing pleasure/discussion. We got to handle his Okatomo monkey and he surprised us with a Shibayama inro/netsuke/ojime suite. We are currently reviving the SF Bay Area netsuke collector group. It used to be a fairly good size, active group but the aging of many collectors put a damper on things for a couple of years. Rolf Knudson drove all the way (280miles) over from Mammoth Lakes, CA to join us. We even had some discussion about getting together a West Coast mini-convention in the future. Sitting down with other local collectors is a great way to futher one's netsuke education. I see the NY chapter is having a meeting on Oct 4 which came through the INS e-mail blast program. I hope you all will take advantage of local meetings.
Alan

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:51 pm

So sorry I could not make it up there for that! Edo is arranging a meeting of the LA Chapter shortly, hopefully before he goes out of the country for a bit.
An all-California meeting would be a very good idea and I would be pleased to attend.
[i:hrgjf5lv]Thanks for keeping us informed![/i:hrgjf5lv]

"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

gleeson

Postby gleeson » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:58 pm

alan, it was i who was fortunate ... fortunate to have my pieces examined and handled by marsha vargas handley (xanadu gallery), and kumiko iwasawa vadas (iwasawa oriental art) and you, as well as others.

the feedback i received was priceless. :D
cheers, robert

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:14 am

HI gleeson! I am so happy for you, having that opportunity with so many great collectors! Sounds like you had a great and educational time. I have to admit I am a little jealous---not a collector for miles around where I live [img:24nbirqc]http://forums.netsuke.org/images/boards/smilies/bawl.gif[/img:24nbirqc]
Judy

gleeson

Postby gleeson » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:52 pm

"jbarnewoltj":3p57bqlk wrote:HI gleeson! I am so happy for you, having that opportunity with so many great collectors! Sounds like you had a great and educational time. I have to admit I am a little jealous---not a collector for miles around where I live [img:3p57bqlk]http://forums.netsuke.org/images/boards/smilies/bawl.gif[/img:3p57bqlk]
[/quote:3p57bqlk]
poor judy! [img:3p57bqlk]http://forums.netsuke.org/images/boards/smilies/bawl.gif[/img:3p57bqlk]

this is indeed a great place to live. then again, i can't go get fresh fish from the local fishermen...

at least you have your online friends here when you need a netsuke fix. [img:3p57bqlk]http://forums.netsuke.org/images/boards/smilies/comp.gif[/img:3p57bqlk]
cheers, robert

carlomagno

Postby carlomagno » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:58 am

Do not complain Judy. Just imagine what is to live in the other end of the world.[img:mhlxtdar]http://forums.netsuke.org/images/boards/smilies/bawl.gif[/img:mhlxtdar]
Nec spe nec metu

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:52 am

We should change the name of this to the International NetSympathy Society!! :)[img:yzadfgzn]http://forums.netsuke.org/images/boards/smilies/sleep.gif[/img:yzadfgzn]

Judy

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:56 am

Gleeson, I can't belive you said "then again, i can't go get fresh fish from the local fishermen...". Come November I'm going to drag you over to Half Moon Bay (11 miles from our house) and we will buy a load of Dungeness crabs off the fishing boats. I'll show you how I like to clean them and then steam them for dinner. A spinach salad and a little beer and wine...We'll talk netsuke the whole time. Judy, any time you want to come out you are most welcome.
I talked with Kudan a bit this evening and he is going to bid on my behalf in tomorrow's Kirchoff sale. I hope any of you who are successful bidders will talk about your pieces and why you acquired them. It will be interesting to see what prices are like. Until I spoke with Kudan I didn't even realize that the sale later that day has some netsuke and really nice inro. I put in a bid for a lot in it as well. Good luck to any of you who are bidding...as long as it isn't on MY lots.
Alan

gleeson

Postby gleeson » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:40 pm

alan, i accept and deserve your rebuke! ;))

good luck with your bids!
cheers, robert

Return to “San Francisco (USA)”