netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

INS local chapter meeting

Events, meets and discussions around the SF chapter.
AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:16 pm

Perhaps Chonchon and others can tell us of other common portrayals of the political satire type netsuke and we can search our collections to see if we can come up with any of them. Never know what we'll find. Look at the fine INS Journal article that developed from Vlad posting his giant Oni/Momotaro and Shugenga's recognition of its real meaning and dating.
Alan

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:53 pm

Gleeson:
Now I know what that burning sensation was in my ears last weekend!
But, seriously, that was most kind of our INS Pres. MVH, and also most kind of you to mention.
Funny, as I sit here, starting my 4th of July weekend, that it was about one year ago this weekend that I attended my first INS Convention, the fabulous one in NYC that the good Mr. Strone and so many others tirelessly worked so hard to make meaningful and memorable.
It was then that I knew the infamous Bug had Bitten and that led me to want to lend my hand, along with Pres. MVH and Dr. Dmitry Tubis, Co-Chairs, to helping make the 2011 INS Convention here in the City of Angels, one of the best ever . . .
And who knows who the bug will bite next during 5-20-26/11, and what that will lead to?!?
A very warm

Thanks.
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:44 pm

DSW, I think we alreay have a couple of Bay Area folks coming to LA next May who have never been to convention or not in a long time. And I know you won't let them down after all the hype I've given this event! We'll also talk it up while in London in November.
Alan

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:48 pm

[i:1mcb1v15][b:1mcb1v15]Thanks much, Alan![/b:1mcb1v15][/i:1mcb1v15]
I've got your next N CA INS Chapter meeting for this Fall on my calendar and will try very hard to persuade those pesky judges to let me alone so I can break away and come up for the meeting, with a long weekend wrapped around it - I will lobby some others down here to come with . . . . enjoy your holiday weekend.

"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

Return to “San Francisco (USA)”