netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

INS local chapter meeting

Events, meets and discussions around the SF chapter.
jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:04 am

Aw, that's ok gleeson. I can't feel too bad after just getting home from Maine and having lobster almost every day :P yum! I will think of you two while you are eating that wonderful crab fresh off the boats! The best way, and with friends to boot. Nothin better.
I am anxious to hear if you acquire some new pieces from the auction!~jbj

Judy

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:22 pm

Nothing to do with the price of fish, but....

The payment with my application to become a member was taken off my credit card some months ago. This I saw. Since then I have heard nothing. Should I eventually receive a members' pack or a copy of the Journal, or what? Should I have applied to be a Japanese member? Is there no local chapter meeting for Europeans in Japan? Is this a problem with the post? Is there a problem at all, or am I being unnecessarily paranoid?

Can anyone say what the average time between application/payment, and individual acknowledgement usually is? (All things being equal) Or is there no such thing as average time?

Floating in a wide expanse with no tangible reference points...

Piers

Size is something.

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:57 pm

Chonchon, nothing to worry. First (and only) time you will hear from INS will be with your first INSJ (fall) issue, which hasn't been delivered yet. It may be worth for you to get in touch with your Japanese chapter to find out when and where their next local meeting is going to take place.
Welcome on board! Finally!
"Man sieht nur, was man weiß" - "One sees only what one knows". Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:28 pm

"Vlad":1h840513 wrote:Chonchon, nothing to worry. First (and only) time you will hear from INS will be with your first INSJ (fall) issue, which hasn't been delivered yet. It may be worth for you to get in touch with your Japanese chapter to find out when and where their next local meeting is going to take place.
Welcome on board! Finally!
[/quote:1h840513]

Many thanks Vlad.

PS Heard from Karen today and it is much as you describe above, Vlad. Thank you again.
Piers

Size is something.

gleeson

Postby gleeson » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:13 pm

i attended my second INS local chapter meeting yesterday. it was a great learning experience and fun too! INS presdient MVH was there as were handaka and kaibitsu. i even met a lurker or two!
many thanks to AFNetsuke and his wife for hosting. :roll:
cheers, robert

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:47 pm

Gleeson, thanks for the brief report on the meeting.
Wish I could have been there too!

"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:01 pm

I think the SF chapter is becoming invigorated again after some years of inactivity due to aging members. We had 13 people and it was a good meeting with discussions and showing/sharing of pieces lasting about 3 hours after lunch. MVH ended up being here until after 8PM. Gleeson, next meeting plan to spend some more time. There was a lot more to talk about. An inro collector joined our ranks for the first time and I hope we can rely on him to expand our horizons. Thanks, Steve, for attending. Kaibutsu also attended his first local meeting. And Rolf drove 6 hours from Mammoth Lakes to participate. Talk about netsuke fever. We plan to meet again on Oct. 10 so if anyone is in the Bay Area then please let us know so we can keep you posted. Location to be announced.
Alan

gleeson

Postby gleeson » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:26 pm

i would've stayed if i could. i could tell you guys were just getting your second wind!

kumiko iwasawa, the local chapter chairperson, took an interest in my hare and minogame netsuke signed ikkosai, and asked me to send her some photos to use on her website. she said the theme was like a political satire/cartoon of the times (late 19/early 20 c) with japan represented by the minogame (turtle) and the 'west' represented by the hare.

as we know from the children's tale, turtle (slow and easy) won the race. :)
cheers, robert

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:33 pm

Gleeson, can you kindly re-post, or re-direct us to that one?
I find the analysis, especially when it involves something like a then-timely, political cartoon-type of message, absolutely fascinating.
[i:17vvhbej]I'm sure there are all kinds of messages in our netsuke that we still have to figure out . . . . [/i:17vvhbej]
Thanks for that one!

"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

gleeson

Postby gleeson » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:04 pm

no problem DSW, here's a link to my [url=http://forums.netsuke.org/post?id=3484577]rabbit & turtle (minogame) thread...[/url]

it was one of the first pieces i posted over a year ago. time sure does fly!
chonchon picked up on the 'politcal statement' aspect right away.

btw, though you weren't at the meeting in person, your spirit was there as MVH sang your praises when she discussed the upcoming may 2011 INS convention in los angeles. were your ears burning? :D
cheers, robert

Return to “San Francisco (USA)”