netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Northern California Chapter Meeting on October 22nd

Events, meets and discussions around the SF chapter.
calbear

Northern California Chapter Meeting on October 22nd

Postby calbear » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:25 pm

The next meeting of the Northern California Chapter will be meeting at Marsha Vargas Handley's home in San Francisco on Sunday October 22nd. The meeting will begin at 2pm, conclude at 5pm, and will be followed by dinner at a local restaurant.

The agenda is as follows:

AGENDA
The upcoming Halloween celebration will provide some focus:
- Welcome
- New attendee intros
- Recap of June 2017 INS Convention in Cologne
- Discussion of Future Topics
- Ghosts, Goblins, and Other Mythical Creatures
- A Show & Tell of Ghosts, Goblins, and Other Mythical Creatures
- Handling Session
- Conclusion, followed by dinner (location tbd)

The subject of Ghosts, Goblins, and Other Mythical Creatures should give us broad guidelines for sharing of pieces from each of our collections ….

I am also pleased to inform you that Robert Fleishel, Yukari Yoshida, and Kanako Suzuki from Sagemonoya in Tokyo will be joining us.

If any of you plan to be in the San Francisco Bay Area and would like to attend, please PM me and I'll provide additional details ..

Thanks ..

souldeep

Re: Northern California Chapter Meeting on October 22nd

Postby souldeep » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:23 am

Sounds like a great subject to discuss.

In David's absence, I don't suppose you have the tech know how to stream this talk for us guys elsewhere in the world?
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

calbear

Postby calbear » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:51 pm

Martyn, I don't think it will be possible this time around... but let me see if we can do something for future meetings... although not a great substitute, I'd be happy to forward a copy of the presentation to you ....

Steve

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:00 pm

Thanks to SF Chapter Chair Steve for organizing another great meeting, Chip for his assistance and provision of great netsuke, Marsha for hosting in her home and Mandy Anderson whose presentation drew on Halloween type festivals and themes around the world and focused on 10 different Japanese female ghost stories. Her show included many prints and netsuke. Pieces representing our topic of Ghosts, Goblins and other Mythical Creatures from member collections were briefly reviewed by their owners on the projection screen prior to our handling session.
Yukari, Robert and Kanako Suzuki were also in attendance and promised to come back to do a presentation on very tall figures. Anne and I made the 350 mile drive up between my two eye surgeries and LA Chair Sue Romaine flew in. INS members Steve and Jennifer were visiting from Minneapolis and even brought some examples from their collection. The evening was capped off by a boisterous dinner a few blocks down the street. Anyone who plans to join this group at a future meeting should plan on 7 to 8 hours of netsuke fun! Here a a few pics of members engrossed in study.
Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 18.36.38.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 18.37.03.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 18.37.25.png
Last edited by Oishii on Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan

calbear

Postby calbear » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:39 pm

Alan, thanks for the kind words ..... And I couldn't have recapped the meeting any better (although I'm in the process of trying - the Journal recap is due in a few days) ...

And our next meeting plan is starting to come together ... February or March ..... Stay tuned for more details ....

Thanks again to all the participants, particularly those who drove/flew long distances ....

Steve

Return to “San Francisco (USA)”