netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

INS Los Angeles chapter meeting

Events, meets and discussions around the LA chapter.
DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:21 pm

Paul Moss' lecture was extraordinary, Alan, and the Skype issues - please remember, this is still experimental - would be more easily resolved, if and when they arise, by having one dedicated person who monitors throughout. A separate video camera would help too.

When Gopi left after the first hour, Skype did something which I would not have believed Skype was capable of doing - it broke the remaining group away from my computer, the mothership, and continued as a separate intact group, except you couldn't hear us, but we could hear you.

Paul's talk was so well and enthusiastically received that, when he would have ended, we asked to see and hear more - this put us under time pressures as we neared two hours, since the caterer had put food out before we started; time pressures did not allow for stopping Paul (who was really giving a great lecture to an audience who had not moved a muscle, listening with rapt attention) to try to figure it out, and, given what actually happened, which I figured out later, not sure we could have fixed it then and there anyway.

Thanks for joining us, all: SF INS Chapter: Alan, Anne, Steve & Mandy; Jan (Netherlands); Martyn (UK), and; Gopi (NZ)!!

Each time, we learn and get better. . . . but, it is great fun having members, literally from around the world, join us live!
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

DSW90049

Re: INS Los Angeles chapter meeting

Postby DSW90049 » Fri May 27, 2016 8:56 pm

Yesterday, our informal and irregularly meeting, Westside Netsuke Study Group met for lunch at our usual location, Hara Sushi, in West LA, near my office. In attendance were the 'two Sue's,' Sue Romaine & Dr. Sue Atchley, the latter, our INS Los Angeles Chapter Chair, and also Dr. Dmitry Tubis.

We shared stories and pics of the recent 'London 2016 Netsuke Convention' and discussed proposed dates for our INS LA Chapter's Summer, Fall & Year-end Holidays meetings this year - stay tuned to this thread for those dates. If your travel plans include Southern California this year, we sincerely hope that you can arrange your schedule to join us for one of our INS LA Chapter meetings this year
- our chapter
is growing fast, and we have outgrown now our ability to meet in living rooms of private homes, and are, therefore, investigating other arrangements.

Our own Richie Silverman will be our INS LA Chapter featured speaker at our Summer Meeting. His subject will be Masatoshi, a great modern Master, who Richie knew personally during his two-decades' living and teaching in Japan. Richie has promised to bring over 40 Masatoshi netsuke from his personal collection, for our lucky members' and guests' study and handling (no gloves needed!), as well as some Senpo (another modern Master, who Richie knew personally) Cicadas, a subject which Senpo rendered magnificently, including a very rare and little known set depicting 6 stages in the life of these fascinating 'shape-shifting' creatures.

Last but not least, our Westside Netsuke Study Group will be planning a lunch road-trip in June, next month, to visit with Hollis Goodall at LACMA! Let me or Sue A. know if you have interest and time to join us, but the number of attendees possible will be limited.

Good things in NetsukeWorld are happening here in Southern California, still viewed by many around the world as 'The Land of Fruits & Nuts' - but, never a dull moment here!
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sat May 28, 2016 12:11 am

Great to hear you've outgrown your meeting rooms. Anne and i met CalBear at the SF Asian Museum yesterday to see the new exhibit of Korean mother-of-pearl lacquer wares to see what we might learn in preparation for our next chapter meeting on July 10 in SF. Well have space available for any INS members who might be in our area.
We've talked about a joint all-CA meeting so maybe this fall?
Alan

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:18 pm

Our INS LA Chapter Summer Meeting is this coming Sunday, July 17 @ Noon - 3PM (Pacific Time) with our very own Resident Luminary Richie Silverman lecturing on, and sharing with us, his extraordinary (50+ pieces, if memory serves) collection of Modern 20thC Master Carver Masatoshi at a local Santa Monica restaurant, Takuma, 2627 Wilshire Blvd. $20 fixed price, wonderful dining, great company, extraordinary presentation on a gifted carver by a true Living Legend in our field. I will try to Skype, but being in a restaurant setting, I can't control light or sound. Let us know if you want to join via Skype, and your Skype Name, and let our INS Chapter Chair, Dr. Susan Atchley: satchcarib@gmail.com know if you are interested in attending or have questions. We anticipate large
attendance!

DSW90049

Re: INS Los Angeles chapter meeting - Today, July 17, 2016!

Postby DSW90049 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:13 pm

Following up on my post immediately above, about our INS LA Chapter Meeting starting 1 hour, 48mins from now, Pacific Time:

We've decided not to try to skype this one - which allows us here to just sit back & enjoy this one -, but, we'll try to get some good photos and post them here, with a report. Some may remember that our speaker, Richie Silverman, our resident true Living Legend in our field, displayed on loan many of his Masatoshi netsuke at our 2011 INS Beverly Hills Convention. Richie knew Masatoshi quite well during Richie's nearly 20-years' teaching and living in Japan, so we should have some good inside stories and pics of truly magnificent works by this modern Master to share - hopefully.

So Stay Tuned, right here. . . .

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:03 pm

We had a great INS LA Chapter Meeting yesterday at Takuma, a Santa Monica Japanese Restaurant, presided over by our
Chairperson, Dr. Susan Atchley, and graciously hosted by Taku, owner of Takuma, who prepared wonderful Bento boxes for our dining pleasure. Richie Silverman spoke at length, and shared with us his collection of netsuke carved by Modern Master Masatoshi, telling some great stories of the world of netsuke in the 1960's and 1970's in Japan, how he met Masatoshi, Raymond Bushell, and other Luminaries of that age. After speaking, Richie put out many trays of his Masatoshi netsuke for us to handle (except three delicate lacquered pieces, which we could only view).

Here's a couple of pics taken by Sue Atchley:
Attachments
IMG_0317.jpg
IMG_0313.jpg

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:40 am

Sounds like a great new venue to LA Chapter members. Richie is a legend in American netsuke collecting. His diverse antique pieces are as phenomenal as his bequest of ceramics to the Toledo Museum of Art and his contemporary collection.what an asset to your chapter!
Alan

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:22 pm

We are deeply appreciative to have Richie Silverman in our INS LA Chapter, which he chaired for some 25 years. Richie's book on his ceramic and porcelain collection which he donated to the Toledo Museum is available on the Paragon and Amazon websites, very reasonably priced, and adding it to your library will open for you a real appreciation of netsuke made from these materials, something many collectors overlook, which keeps them nicely affordable.
Jill built a very
nice collection of porcelain and ceramic netsuke, benefitting from some gracious tutoring by Richie, who remains active and enthusiastic as ever and who still adds to his netsuke collection both antique and contemporary, one of the most amazing that I've ever had the privilege to handle.

Tama

Postby Tama » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:31 pm

I am truly grateful Richie took an interest in my humble ceramic collection and gave me his advice and attention when I needed it most.

Suzume

Postby Suzume » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:08 pm

Announcing:

Los Angeles Chapter INS Meeting
June 25, 2017

2017 Cologne Convention Coverage
&
An Appreciation of Sue Atchley

Bring your favorite Memories or Netsuke to share.

RSVP by Monday, June 19, 2017
please include your food order, if any

2627 Wilshire Blvd Santa Monica CA 90403

$20.00 for your choice of meat, vegetarian, or fish bento boxes. Non-alcoholic drinks are free!

Sue Romaine
1 (818) 231-9449
sromaine@sbcglobal.net
Suzume

Return to “Los Angeles (USA)”