netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

INS Los Angeles chapter meeting

Events, meets and discussions around the LA chapter.
Oishii

Postby Oishii » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:07 pm

Thanks to the LA Chapter, David and Max ! The Skype link was fun and amazing ;-)
Max' talk on the Fabergé artwork that was based on Netsuke was very interesting ...
one of the suzume (sparrows) by Faberge as an example :
Attachments
2538734_Schermafbeelding_2015-12-13_om_23.02.17.png
2538735_Schermafbeelding_2015-12-13_om_23.02.17.png
Jan

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:46 am

After working out some technical difficulties the LA group got a few different continents up and running and Max's presentation started. It helped that Anne brought along the 2007 INS and 1980 INCS Journals so we had clear photos of many of the Faberge pieces and comparison Japanese netsuke he likely worked from since it was a bit harder to see the pieces on the screen. This will be worked out in future Skype sessions I'm sure.  I'm sorry Gopi (in NZ) had to go to work (21 hours later than here made it Monday morning for him) but he did show us his fabulous netsuke cabinet before Max started. Martyn also has an impressive display and showed us a few pieces in the U.K. We showed a couple of Chip's pieces he brought along to the Skype session over at Steve's in the SF Bay area while the technical difficulties were being worked on. Great to "share" a beer with Martyn in the UK and a glass of wine with Jan in the Netherlands as well. Thanks to Max for putting up with all of us around the world and for his wonderful presentation. He made a comment on authentic Kaigyokusai signatures and right after the Skype session we were re-looking at Chip's Kaigyokusai Junishi netsuke...sure enough, it's sig conformed to Max's description. All five of us in NorCal thank the SoCal chapter for inviting us. I think this is the beginning of a very good relationship.
Alan

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:47 pm

That was fun! Unfortunately, the technical problems proved to be pretty low tech - we could not get the projector to play well with Max's Mac - I even tried it on another Mac, but we could never get the projector to go into projection mode.

However, that was a pretty low tech glitch, while the very high tech job of getting Gopi in NZ, Jan in Belgium, the SF Chapter (4 or 5 of them), and Martyn in London (wearing the Davy Crocket hat), on Skype all together to attend digitally with us here in Los Angeles, went as smoothly as can be imagined. Yes, Skype broadcasts of our Chapter Meetings ARE possible, and this IS the future.

It was great fun hearing Max's excellent presentation on the Faberge - Netsuke connection and he was a great sport about the tech problems, forging on and giving his lecture with all of us watching at various times on his computer. Max will be sending us his Powerpoint presentation.

Time to get a new projector, but great news about the Skype Broadcast. My account allows me to open up to 10 windows, and if several people gathered, as they did in SF, we can reach quite a few people. This opens all kinds of possibilities.

We also had great attendance here in LA. THANKS to all who participated and who were extremely patient during our tech problems!Image

"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:41 am

Our INS Los Angeles Chapter meets again next Sunday, April 3, commencing at Noon Pacific Time, under our new Chairperson, Dr. Susan Atchley, with none other than Paul Moss speaking, which insures huge attendance (we could break 40 in person).

I am again planning on broadcasting our meeting via video Skype, so, if you would Ike to attend via Skype, please let me know next week and also give me your Skype name. I can tie in 9 other stations, so, you can have people over to visit and have your whole roomful join us, as our N California Chapter did last time, when we regrettably had delays due to much lower tech problems.

Please bear in mind that our Skype broadcasts are still experimental, hence we are at the mercy of the fickle Gods of Beta Testing. But, when it works, it is great fun to have people from all over the world join us. We still aim to be able to broadcast to all continents simultaneously, but we will need a volunteer to run the Antarctica Station. Gopi, I think you are closest!
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:23 am

Marsha will be down for the meeting, David. I was just saying to her a half hour ago that I hoped you guys would Skype again. Six of our NorCal members got together for dinner then dessert and a glass of port back at our house plus a few inro that Steve and I recently acquired. Looking forward to next Sunday's session. I suspect Jan, Martyn, and hopefully JC will tune in this time. You'll have to guarantee Gopi an on time start before he heads to work Monday morning (his time).
Alan

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:30 pm

We are going to get things set up the day before instead of waiting to do it in the morning before, or in the last hour, in case anybody is delayed again this time. As I said earlier, the hardest tech part, by far, is joining everybody by Skype - please gather again in N CA and join us! - the maddening issues which caused our delay and frustration were the very low tech ones of getting the projector to talk to Max's Mac - it may have come down to an incompatibility built in by Apple, as I never could get a clear pic on my monitor on one of my Macs when in London for the May 2013 INS Convention, but, the minute I got back to California, it worked just fine. There are variations among Apple products depending on where they are intended to be sold and used (this was the reverse of my 5-13 situation; the Mac was from UK, and the projector and software from US) and we might have run headlong into one.

The only new issue, which could present problems, is the fact that we will be meeting in a home located at the bottom of a canyon with very steep (1200') and narrow ridges on either side. Assuming we can get the bandwidth, and I will know that the day before when we test, the Skype Broadcast of our LA INS Chapter Meeting on next Sun., 4-3-16, should go on, and should be as good and clear as last time - see Martyn's screenshot pic, which he titled our very own "Cartier-Bresson "Decisive Moment" (with me, less the Santa hat that Martyn photoshopped on me; whether or not Martyn wears his Trapper Dan headgear, is, of course, totally up to his discretion, or lack thereof).

We hope you can join us, from whatever continent you may find yourself - just remember to let me know your Skype name - we will do some testing to make sure we can get you.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:46 pm

Any chance you could test the connection earlier in the week so those would might get a group together can plan their weekend? We will meet at CalBear's again.
Alan

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:17 pm

Just discussed that with CalBear, Alan, and will do.

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:51 pm

Last call for anybody desiring to attend tomorrow's INS LA Chapter Meeting via video Skype, with Paul Moss as our featured speaker.

I had lunch with Paul yesterday, and confirmed that he will speak about: 1) the upcoming May 6-9, 2016 London Event, which SLM is co-sponsoring, and; 2) the SLM "Stag Antler Treatise,' now a 3 volume project (first vol.: early, including silk seals; second vol.: Kokusai; third vol.: Followers of Kokusai), with the second volume, hopefully, ready for purchase at the event in May, and the other two volumes coming along shortly - in short, a massive project!

Email me: dsw90049@gmail.com
if you would like to be included for attending the meeting via video Skype
I can open 10 windows, theoretically, so gather round with friends.
I need your Skype contact information so we can establish Skype contact, if we have not Skyped before.
We start at 12 Noon, Pacific Time, Sun., April 3, 2016, and be sure to check the time difference as we just began our Daylight Savings time here in the U.S., so yours may vary by an hour either way from what you are accustomed to calculating.

Thanks.

borat

Postby borat » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:05 am

Excellent meeting today :)

Would have been useful for those members who are unable to attend the upcoming London symposium

Return to “Los Angeles (USA)”