netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Euronetsuke Fest 2018: 11th - 13th May 2018

Events, meets and discussions around the European chapter.
lisa holton

Re: Euronetsuke Fest 2018: 11th - 13th May 2018

Postby lisa holton » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:28 am

neilholton wrote:Who’s going to do my makeup :D

Between Martyn's hair and your beard I think a hairdresser/barber is a bigger requirement!! :lol: :lol:
The wisdom humanity seeks lies within the consciousness of all human beings, trapped and held
prisoner by their own person minds - Sydney Banks (The Missing Link)

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:09 am

lisa holton wrote:
neilholton wrote:Who’s going to do my makeup :D

Between Martyn's hair and your beard I think a hairdresser/barber is a bigger requirement!! :lol: :lol:

Pfft - all this modern man nonsense :roll:

Short back and sides, face creams and daily shaves ain't natural for a man. Let that inner cave man out - be true to our nature. Ug(h).. Ug(h) :lol:
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Clive

Postby Clive » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:35 am

4152cPyWf2L._SY450_.jpg

lisa holton

Postby lisa holton » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:43 am

Clive wrote:
4152cPyWf2L._SY450_.jpg

This is great Clive - you have finally realised my worth and I thank you for that ... wholeheartedly ...... Welcome to the light side :D
The wisdom humanity seeks lies within the consciousness of all human beings, trapped and held

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:41 am

Hmm...

You've missed the two lead casts of the movie!!!

martyn&neil.jpg
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Clive

Postby Clive » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:03 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lisa holton

Postby lisa holton » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:04 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu May 10, 2018 8:16 am

Hi Guys - sorry for the absence past few weeks. Life has thrown me just about every curve ball one could imagine. Fortunately for this coming weekend, I still have my health and I'm looking forward to catching up with all tomorrow.

A few last minute reminders;

Friday

If you are in the morning session Friday, I will be waiting outside the BM main entrance from 9.45am. We will meet Noriko at the main information desk at 9.55am.

If you are in the afternoon session Friday, I will be waiting outside the BM main entrance from 1.45pm. We will meet Noriko at the main information desk at 1.55pm.

Sadly Douglas Wright has had to cancel for the interview. We are never beaten though - and we are honoured that Neil Davey, the netsuke institution, has agreed to an interview with Max Rutherston. The two individuals have a long history and I expect we will hear a few cheeky revelations ;)

Please turn up to the Swedenborg Hall by 6.20pm so we can start promptly at 6.30pm. Refreshments will be provided at half time, and the end.

Saturday

Although the Katchen sale was cancelled, I will still personally attend the afternoon handling session at Bonham's from 2pm - 4pm. Everyone is welcome. The Fine Art sale is still open for handling.

As mentioned in an earlier post, there is a special session for anyone interested in a masks sale coming to market in June this year. Matthew Barton has kindly agreed to open for a one of handling session at 25 Blyth Road London W14 0PD. They will accommodate those of us visiting this Saturday between 2-5pm.

matthewbarton.jpg

See you all soon :x

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sun May 13, 2018 12:39 am

OK, Euronetsuke attendees, it's time to share some of your adventures in and around London this weekend. Jan and Martyn showed the other mods a few pics and the BM handling session looked like a dream. I'm ready to see some social pics of you merrymakers.
And a special thanks to Neil Holton for the hardback catalog he distributed. Job well done and some wonderful descriptions of great netsuke! Jan said many pieces had already been reserved.
While I wait for some Euronetsuke posts I'll enjoy the two Zacke catalogs that were delivered today.
Alan

RoyT

Postby RoyT » Mon May 14, 2018 9:13 am

AFNetsuke wrote:OK, Euronetsuke attendees, it's time to share some of your adventures in and around London this weekend. Jan and Martyn showed the other mods a few pics and the BM handling session looked like a dream. I'm ready to see some social pics of you merrymakers.

I´ll try to share some of our impressions from Euronetsuke Fest 2018 in London.

Heidi and myself did attend in the afternoon handling session at British Museum. And being novices in collecting netsuke - what an experience! The Japanese department is closed for a makeover, so almost all of the best netsuke were available. If I had knew this I would have added the Okatomo Kirin and Masanao Hakutaku to our whislist, but there were plenty of extremly good netsuke on the table :)

At the end off the handlingsession Martyn Jones were asking about which netsuke we had as our favourite. A Shoki and Oni attributed to Sanko had most votes, and Jay Hopkins remarked that nobody did bother about the toes on one of the feet were restored.

A wooden compact netsuke of two horses were the favourite of Jim Fowlie, Heidi and Léon Mommersteg who as a designer (and carver) did remark that on every turn of the netsuke he saw something new in it. Adam Bland, also a carver, had a box or sandlewood netsuke by Soko as his favourite, It was carved as a piece of bamboo with a man sitting inside carving. According to Martyn J. the most impressive carving in the room from a tecnical viewpoint. An american lady had the Crying Deer in ivory by Tomotada as her favourite (pictured). My favourite was the Monkey playing with a turtle by Okatori and then Seated ox and young by Tomotada (both pictured).
B2AED069-3340-4E14-BDA6-A0C08A4DA53A.jpeg

C683FAD4-D52C-4816-996D-1555E8CE3444.jpeg
421D7E3A-C105-4356-8A77-7EA5AC0B141E.jpeg
7CA8BDF6-209D-4D6F-96EA-1B2F23AEB1CA.jpeg
69FB9921-9496-4CB4-A5A9-4AD020025D73.jpeg
29B903C4-2AA1-43CF-80E3-18D7177ACBAE.jpeg

After some time at pubs we rejoined at Swedenborg Hall. Max Rutherston had a talk with Neil Davey that now has almost 60 years in the business. He talked about his relations with B.Hurtig as a dealer and the collectors Winkworth, Hindson and Katchen. From Winkworth he got his passion for netsuke and his first two netsuke which he still owns.
Max Rutherston then had a talk of Mitsuharu and his netsuke. Fuld´s index lists 166 by him but according to a russian collector he has now identified 236 netsuke by Mitsuharu.

Saturday started with someting to drink and sushi at the Herrick Gallery and viewing of the exibition of important netsuke put together by Neil Holton. I think it was a success for Neil because a large number where sold. My favourites where either sold or out of budget. I asked for the price for an ivory lying goat with strong hairwork. To expensive for me, but 15 min. later it had a red dot!
Later Neil was having a talk on double meanings in some netsuke. He had a lot of humor in his talk :lol:

Sunday there were an exibition of contemporary netsuke at Herrick Gallery put together by Adrian Heindrichs from Lempertz in Cologne. They will have an auction of 36 contemporary netsuke in June.

The Euronetsuke Fest was then finished by a talk between Neil Holton and Jay Hopkins. Jay started collecting old rifles at the age of 4! He served 2 years as doctor in Japan were his interest for netsuke was started in Hirosaki. Gopi is still waiting for Jay´s netsukebook to be written!

The night ended in a couple of pubs at Shepherds Market.... ... .. .

A huge Thanks to Martyn Jones for organizing this weekend !!
Regards Roy

Return to “Europe”