netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Euronetsuke Fest 2018: 11th - 13th May 2018

Events, meets and discussions around the European chapter.
AFNetsuke

Re: Euronetsuke Fest 2018: 11th - 13th May 2018

Postby AFNetsuke » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:27 pm

Alex, thanks for the London Walks info. I wonder if they did the Ghost Walk at a past convention there. The Pub Walk looks like something to check out. Unless some of our UK friends have already dragged us to the favorites. :lol:
Alan

borat

Postby borat » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:30 pm

Alan, are you coming to London next month ?

For Tourists to London - very much enjoyed the Imperial War Museum, when visited last year
Last edited by borat on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:03 am

Gopi, unfortunately we won't be there next month. But will be in Budapest late August and London for the convention.
Alan

borat

Postby borat » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:51 am

Looks like a great event has been planned in Budapest ... pleasing to see that the Californian contingent is turning up in force!

borat

Postby borat » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:12 am

I hope that new members take the opportunity to register for the London euronetsuke fest ..... the speakers scheduled are some of the most experienced experts in our field.

Dr Jay Hopkins, is described by Neil Holton as the modern day "Albert Brockhaus". He has built a vast collection over many decades & is the authority on early Stag & Ivory pieces. I hope some of the locals may bring some very early pieces for show & tell maybe.
Douglas Wright has the ultimate netsuke CV spanning over 60 years - should be some great historical stories.
Looking forward to Max Rutherston giving some insight into Mitsuharu ... good opportunity to do some pre-conference study on this subject. I think I have an unsigned piece which could warrant a possible attribution.
Those of you that attended Cologne will remember the special lecture Neil Holton gave on tonkotsu. His netsuke talk this time will be another highlight.
Lastly the contemporary exhibition will be a good event. Hope Clive H. will bring some pieces & hope he is making good progress cleaning up the Katchen 3 oil stains!

Hmmm ... I wonder whether Euronetsuke will contemplate videoing this event?
Last edited by borat on Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:39 am

ABland wrote:Do we have any replacement plans for the saturday afternoon yet or are we just going to have a good look round some of the museum collections. I was dissapointed to see the the BM are closing their Japan gallery for refurbishment but i look forward to the new displays opening later in the year.

Hi Adam,

I tried arranging handling sessions with the V&A and Science Museum. Both institutions share the similar problem. Saturday staffing issues.

We have the Fine Art sale to handle at Bonham's, and a mask collection that's coming to auction in June. Details of the latter I will publish when exact location is confirmed.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:54 am

AFNetsuke wrote:Alex, thanks for the London Walks info. I wonder if they did the Ghost Walk at a past convention there. The Pub Walk looks like something to check out. Unless some of our UK friends have already dragged us to the favorites. :lol:

There is a Ghost walk that takes you through Gas-lit alleyways, Georgian streets, Old buildings frozen in the 17th century. It starts from Embankment and ends at St James park. Even for a Londoner, who thought he knew the city inside out, I was shocked that I could walk so far, and so long, through London's parallel universe. The story telling atmosphere was helped by the weather that night - fog sat heavy over 17th century gas lights.

An alternative is to head to the Whitechapel area, East of the City. There you can take a tour of Jack the Ripper's Victorian haunts and murder locations. A good guide will put the chill up anyone's spine. Be warned, the grisly stories are not for the faint hearted. The room of Mary Kelly, the Ripper's final victim, perhaps the most disconcerting of the bunch :shock:
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

lisa holton

Postby lisa holton » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:12 pm

[quote="borat" Hmmm ... I wonder whether Euronetsuke will contemplate videoing this event?[/quote]

I don't mind doing some videoing if asked ;) I think it's a great idea!
The wisdom humanity seeks lies within the consciousness of all human beings, trapped and held
prisoner by their own person minds - Sydney Banks (The Missing Link)

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:45 pm

lisa holton wrote:
borat wrote: Hmmm ... I wonder whether Euronetsuke will contemplate videoing this event?

I don't mind doing some videoing if asked ;) I think it's a great idea!

Hi Lisa,

Sorry not to reply sooner. There is some great news. Euronetsuke have been donated a brand new video recorder. Between us, we'll need to figure out what buttons to press ;)

So guys... We'll get something up online for you if you can't make the event!

neilholton

Postby neilholton » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:57 pm

Who’s going to do my makeup :D

Return to “Europe”