netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Euronetsuke Fest 2018: 11th - 13th May 2018

Events, meets and discussions around the European chapter.
chonchon

Re: Euronetsuke Fest 2018: 11th - 13th May 2018

Postby chonchon » Mon May 14, 2018 10:31 am

Roy, many thanks for that. Much appreciated. 8-)
Piers

Size is something.

Oishii

Postby Oishii » Mon May 14, 2018 11:39 am

Hi Roy,
we really appreciate your report and happy to read that you had a great time. It was nice to meet you and Heidi.
Yes, indeed, we all had a blast, thanks to Martyn's smooth organisation ...
RoyT wrote:A wooden compact netsuke of two horses were the favourite of Jim Fowlie, Heidi and Léon Mommersteg who as a designer (and carver) did remark that on every turn of the netsuke he saw something new in it.

This piece by Ryukei I had a very special place in the heart of its previous owner, the legendary Anne Hull Grundy.
In Netsuke Kenkyukai 12/3 of 1992, there is an article about Grundy"s scrapbook and testimony to her appreciation of this netsuke is the following :
" ... The piece, however, which she claimed as her favourite, was a pair of horses by Ryukei I of the Tokyo school.
"These superlative horses have absolutely no rival, and indeed are the Golden Calf which I worship... It would be so terrible to be robbed of them by the Great Reaper that I woud almost wish to be buried with them if it weren't for my conscience toward prosperity."
They are now with all the remaining collection in the British Museum. "

picture copyright British Museum.
Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 13.27.33.png
Jan

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Mon May 14, 2018 12:04 pm

Jan, thank you.
Piers

Size is something.

RoyT

Postby RoyT » Mon May 14, 2018 2:23 pm

Gender equality

Getting close to the end of the handlingsession at BM, Martyn asked who had put down the Zeshin gold laquer inro on their whishlist. I had to «help» Heidi raise her hand. Martyn then remarked: «Roy this is going to be expensive for you». No Martin; it will not be expensive for me! In Norway we have come quite far in gender equality so it might become expensive for Heidi :lol:
Regards Roy

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Mon May 14, 2018 3:01 pm

Roy, Jan, sounds like you all had a splendid time thanks in no small part to Martyn's organization of this event. Thanks for your reports.
Alan

Operafan

Postby Operafan » Mon May 14, 2018 4:58 pm

Sorry, have not taken any photos.

But I would like to thank Martyn for organizing an amazing event, Max & Neil Davey for a very informative and entertaining evening, Neil Holton for a very good and humorous lecture, and of course Lisa for helping us in the gallery and for ‘cooking’ such delicious sushi ;)
Alex

lisa holton

Postby lisa holton » Mon May 14, 2018 5:28 pm

Operafan wrote:Sorry, have not taken any photos.

But I would like to thank Martyn for organizing an amazing event, Max & Neil Davey for a very informative and entertaining evening, Neil Holton for a very good and humorous lecture, and of course Lisa for helping us in the gallery and for ‘cooking’ such delicious sushi ;)

Took me hours that Sushi Alex!! :D :D

Thanks to everyone who visited us this week and of course Martyn for being Mr Organiser extraordinare as always ;)

It was great to see everyone and to hear what a fab time you all had! Of course I met a few new people too which is always great. sorry I missed out on yesterday but I'd had a head cold all week and yesterday it just got the better of me so I stayed in bed!!

Hope everyone got home safe and sound - see you all in Budapest!
Last edited by lisa holton on Mon May 14, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The wisdom humanity seeks lies within the consciousness of all human beings, trapped and held
prisoner by their own person minds - Sydney Banks (The Missing Link)

borat

Postby borat » Mon May 14, 2018 5:53 pm

What a wonderful 4 days of netsuke events in beautiful London ....
I thoroughly enjoyed being an honorary European during these days & was well looked after by Martyn & the Team. Four consecutive 12+ hour days !!!
- British Museum handling was magical & learning from each other was a bonus
- Neil Holton exhibition was excellent & the catalogue was beautifully photographed with detailed text
- Bonhams viewing was good & some potential good buys await us this Thursday
- Enjoyable talks with netsuke legends Neil Davey & Jay Hopkins; also dealer talks with Max & Neil H.
- Mask netsuke exhibition, with sale on June 6th by Matthew Barton Ltd / Max Rutherston- 200 mask netsuke - many potential bargains to be had; there are some excellent netsuke books in this sale which will be a good addition for novice collectors
- Contemporary netsuke exhibition organised by Lempertz
- I had a personal visit to SL Moss gallery today, to browse thru current stock
Martin Jones Video Production company will be editing this weekend for a short documentary in the near future, I believe.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Mon May 14, 2018 9:54 pm

It sounds like I missed a great weekend, and really regret the timing wasn't so that I could comfortably make the trip.. So sorry to have missed it though! Thanks much for sharing your experiences and images. Looking forward to seeing more from others of this great netsuke adventure!
Judy

Bakurae

Postby Bakurae » Mon May 14, 2018 11:34 pm

What a treat to read these stories and see the accompanying pictures--a consolation prize for not being able to get there. Thanks, all!

Alison

Return to “Europe”