netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

London Netsuke Convention - May 2016

Events, meets and discussions around the European chapter.
NetsukeManiac

Re: London Netsuke Convention - May 2016

Postby NetsukeManiac » Sun May 08, 2016 6:16 am

xxx
Last edited by NetsukeManiac on Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sun May 08, 2016 6:30 am

Glad to help you all visualize - more pics!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sun May 08, 2016 6:58 am

More pics - promise; will take many more today:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sun May 08, 2016 7:21 am

Great pictures David.

Guys - I'm sorry but I've rather neglected taking many pictures. The event feels like a roller coaster. Who thinks to take photos doing loop the loop!? I will try my best to get a few more the next two days.

Clive's workshop was a tour de force - a true master-class in understanding stag and antler. Unfortunately his lecture was in a break out room which meant it was rather crowded.
DSC_0692.JPG

We were being passed around different examples of antler and stag material to handle and understand deeper. Whilst we handled, Clive provided an explanation of Antler growth through the medium of Dance.
DSC_0697.JPG

The Bonhams event was a pleasant social gathering. Neil Davey introduced the evening and then Oli Moss closed the talk.
DSC_0730.JPG

DSC_0731.JPG

Yesterday morning we had two lectures at the Royal Geographic Society. Due to the previous nights festivities I shamefully admit to missing the first of the two lectures. Looking at the crowd - I realised I may not have been the only one :P

Julia gave a great talk on what may be the most important set of Zeshin inro we know of. There are 12 in total, one inro for every season. Somehow, as I watched each month being explained, the images transformed into a poetry. I will explain this better on another occasion. That I can write at all this morning is surprising :)
DSC_0736.JPG
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sun May 08, 2016 5:58 pm

Still more pics!
Attachments
imagea.jpg
imagec.jpg
imageb.jpg
imaged.jpg

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sun May 08, 2016 6:03 pm

Even more pics!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpg
image2.jpg
image5.jpg
image6.jpg
imagePaulMoss.jpg
image7.jpg

Tama

Postby Tama » Sun May 08, 2016 6:35 pm

Thank you David! Could the pictures be sideways because you are half way around the world??!!

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sun May 08, 2016 7:14 pm

Probably because I'm on an iPhone. Will fix later on a laptop.

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Mon May 09, 2016 12:07 pm

It's Monday and somehow we got to the last day! Great lectures this morning - on lunch break now. First, Alain D on his recent research - bought his pamphlet and new book - the audience grilled this living legend on his ivory shipping research, but all in great humor. Alain was not well at breakfast, but, with some quick medical work by Dr. Gopi N, he gave a stellar performance like the good trooper he is.

Next was Yukari Y & Robert F, speaking on Iwami netsuke, a mysterious, spiritual and fascinating area with great slides.

Last but not least, Rosemary B & Sem gave their wonderfully controversial Oasaka vs. Kyoto presentation complete with pics of the Harriet S 'Spaghetti' Shishi which broke the world record at auction a few years back.

Pics follow. I'm sad that this is ending, I could do this for a week. Our new Treasurer, Marsha, announced the INS BOD tentative decision to stage the 2017 INS Convention in 2nd week of June in Cologne, pending negotiations and getting financial things in order.

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Mon May 09, 2016 12:08 pm

Pics
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
AlainD.jpg

Return to “Europe”