netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.
Sponsor Announcement:

Woolley & Wallis would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in their auction - Japanese & Korean Art, on the 23rd May 2018.

To access the on-line catalogue please click on the banner below.

Please Note: This sponsorship announcement will automatically disappear on the 24th May 2018.

London Netsuke Convention - May 2016

Events, meets and discussions around the European chapter.
Suzume

Re: London Netsuke Convention - May 2016

Postby Suzume » Wed May 04, 2016 8:41 am

Hello all-

Just arrived yesterday evening and so far Martyn has arranged perfect weather -- sunny!! And low 60's for today.

I brought over an empty carry-on bag just to hold Moss' book! :D

In an embarrassment of riches, this weekend is also the London Print Fair at The Academy of Fine Arts. Londonprintfair.com. Tho it's not specifically Japanese, this lecture caught my eye, FYI:

3.30pm Thursday 5/5. Rebecca Salter RA on Japanese woodblock printing – a view from the 21st century
Royal Academician printmaker Rebecca Salter will talk about the prints she has commissioned from a workshop in Kyoto and give insight into the vitality of the technique in Japan in General. General Assembly Room
General Assembly Room

Hope everyone has a quick recovery from jet lag!
Suzume

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Wed May 04, 2016 2:52 pm

Thanks all who are blogging this event!
It is GREAT for those who cannot be there, to be able to share the experience, and it provides a narrative history for future devotees in this field of these significant events.

Wish I could have been the proverbial fly on the wall at the SL Moss gallery yesterday with Paul, Oli, Finn, Martyn & Gopi there, when the Kokusai book arrived, an advantage to getting in early!

Suzume, thanks for the tip on the print exhibition. Martyn, your narrative is outstanding; yours too, Gopi. Allison, I hope to add mine to this thread when I get there, rest assured. Piers, we can't all go everywhere all the time, but we will miss you, and glad you did peek at this thread - stay tuned. To all en route, wishing safe passage and Happy Trails! I'll be there tomorrow morning, flying all night tonight.

Keep up the great blogging! & pics!
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Wed May 04, 2016 3:13 pm

Suzume wrote:Just arrived yesterday evening and so far Martyn has arranged perfect weather -- sunny!! And low 60's for today.

Welcome to London :D It is indeed a pleasant spring day with my dial in the shade reading 19C currently.

The sun smiles on the brave and fortuitous. May good fortune continue for you this convention. Look forward to saying hello again shortly.

Great tip for tomorrow however, apart from a half day yesterday, I am fully booked up with work until Friday. I am looking forward to letting my hair down for a few days after. Catch you then.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Wed May 04, 2016 3:20 pm

I am very excited for all of you that will be attending the London Netsuke Convention. I am disappointed that I will not be among you, but look forward to hearing all about it here! I love the looks of that book.. Will have to reread how to go about ordering one.
Enjoy getting settled in there, and have a great time!
Judy

Suzume

Postby Suzume » Wed May 04, 2016 11:27 pm

So far my only complaint about London is that there is way more to do than there is time to do it in! An excellent problem made even worse by the fantastic weather.

Spent the day with David B gallery hopping, topped off by a really fine dinner at the New-British Gastropub The Grazing Goat, just a block or so from the Montcalm. (Thanks to Max Rutherston for the recommendation).

Wow is there a lot of great netsuke and sagamono on tap for convention-goers, and we only saw a small fraction of the total.

The Kokosai and Kokosai adjacent at Moss is just to die for. :mrgreen:

Looking forward to catching up with you, Martyn, and everybody!
Suzume

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Thu May 05, 2016 4:37 pm

Got to the hotel a few hours ago after flying overnight in cramped British Air flight, even with the better seats I bought. We've got exit row, going home next Wed.

Just went down (floor level '-1') to visit all the dealers setting up: Rosemary & Sem; Paul, Oli, Finn & Ashley; Max R; Robert F, and; Clive H. The dealer rooms are spacious, and already filled with luscious pieces.

Also walked through the Grand Ballroom where Bonhams was setting up for tomorrow night's cocktail party. Tomorrow morning is early registration, then, the first panel from 10:30AM-12Noon, and check the rest of the schedule in the INS website in the 'Events' section. Douglas Wright unfortunately had to cancel being on the first Panel; Oli M will replace him on the Panel, with Finn as Moderator. By Southern California time - there are a lot of (Los) Angelinos in attendance - it will start at 2:30AM our time. Whew.

Paul Moss let me leaf through the new Kokusai book - the only one there during setup. It is indeed twice the thickness, or more, of any other PM book in my library (except that giant Chinese Art treatise, which I don't own). Paul said many more are available at the SL Moss gallery at 12 Queen St., Mayfair, so I hope to get over there (a 20 min. walk or short cab ride from the Montcalm), tomorrow and get my copy.

Dinner tonight with... :?:
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

Tama

Postby Tama » Thu May 05, 2016 5:14 pm

David, please include pictures like you did in Baltimore! Love the posts, it's almost like being there!

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu May 05, 2016 11:11 pm

They are incriminating.. Don't do it David.. tube home time :shock:
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Tama

Postby Tama » Fri May 06, 2016 12:45 am

C'mon David! Show me the pie eyed Martyn shots!!! LOL!

borat

Postby borat » Sat May 07, 2016 5:42 am

I had a wonderful first symposium day ....
- firstly the London weather came to the party, a beautiful still warm summer's-like day. The young people have been spilling out of the local pubs this Friday afternoon. The Montcalm location just off Oxford Street has been useful, particularly for the close access to shopping, proximity to Bonham's & Grays antique market, as well as numerous fine dining opportunities.
- the programme schedule commenced with a revisitation of the "Top 10" carvers. The irreplaceable Neil K. Davey gave a wonderful tour through his favourite master-list illustrated with his back catalogue of Bonham & Sotheby's images (wonderful photography). The highlights I remember from this wonderful slideshow were the Toyomasa classics & Kyoto masters (including a sleeping rat!). Special mention to Oli Moss for a good talk as he overcame his pre-show nerves. The intimidating Paul Moss was seated at the rear of the lecture theatre ready to pounce on any ill informed utterences. Guy & David completed the quartet. I apologise for the absence of netsuke specifics as my lecture notes were misplaced!
- next on my schedule was the Stag workshop by Clive Hallam. This was a near complete masterclass on Stag, encompassing the biology of Sika Deer, the anatomy & physiology of Antler production. Wonderful slides showing transformation of raw material into actual netsuke. I hope this minor thesis can be reproduced at a later stage for a wider audience on a permanent basis.
- Heinz & Else Kress were presented with the Silver Kirin award for their long services to Inro research on behalf of the INS
- the food & beverage department at the Montcalm hotel produced an excellent convention menu for the day which was well stocked.
- my highlight of the day was the opening of the Dealer's rooms. The two large halls housed all the dealer's, naturally with a London & European bias. The presentation of the cases with ample space & excellent lighting showed good planning- this was a marked improvement on earlier conventions. Max Rutherston was responsible for exhausting my netsuke budget today - he always has a good selection, surprisingly he always has more stock than his email blasts indicate.
- Dr Dmitry Tubis & his lovely wife Helen get the award for most items on display (with some special gems). It is obvious that Dmitry has mortgaged a house to pay for all this netsuke stock!
- I met a new dealer in person today - Giuseppe Piva - first time at an INS type symposium. Very nice chap - I would describe him as an "Italian James Bond" - dressed in a Brioni suit with a passion for Japanese art - check out his excellent website.
- other dealers included Rosemary Bandini, SL Moss (with non stag stuff), Grace Tsumugi, Flachsmann, Espace France, Woolley & Wallis.
- a special mention goes to Neil Holton, who I caught up with earlier in the week at another venue. I spent 2 hours holding & admiring the HOLTON KIRIN, obviously by the same hand as the Meninertzhagen Kirin. Alas I cannot take it home, if you haven't seen it in person please ask to see a picture of it before it disappears into a private European collection.
- the Bonham's reception later in the day at New Bond Street was another excuse to load up on unneccesary calories & catching up with
friends. Thank-you Bonham's for sponsorship.
- the symposium goody bag included new netsuke publications by Rosemary Bandini (cover-shot Okatomo horse) & Grace Tsumugi Fine Art
- my first convention day ended at 1am the next morning after the European boys took me drinking this Friday night - I suspect Clive Hallam will not make it to Day 2 ... last seen just off Oxford street in the wee hours in a jovial mood :D

Return to “Europe”