netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

London Netsuke Convention - May 2016

Events, meets and discussions around the European chapter.
borat

Re: London Netsuke Convention - May 2016

Postby borat » Tue May 10, 2016 6:15 pm

I'm winding down now for a few more days in London before another 25 hour flight home with overweight luggage! The weather was magnificent for the whole time. Today unfortunately, 24 hours after the final day, the London drizzle has arrived, probably indicating that summer has finished in this country! The location just off Oxford street & Hyde Park has been wonderful. The architecture of this fine city is superb & all of us have felt safe here during these unstable political times. My 2 weeks of netsuke indulgence have been wonderful. The last 5 days have been 12 hour + event filled periods ... almost totally exhausted now & not even enough energy to participate in the final Bonham's auction. It is very important for me to make this 25 hour pilgrimage as there are no netsuke experts in my home country.
In summary, my netsuke exposure during this month has included :-
- an afternoon handling about 300 netsuke at Bonham's, New Bond Street (thank-you Suzannah for the special invitation)
- two private afternoons viewing & handling the greatest Stag netsuke collection & sagemona ever assembled at SL Moss gallery (thank-you Paul for your time & teaching). Also getting the 1st copy of the great Kokusai book (all 3kg!)
- wonderful Masterclass lectures at the convention , especially by Neil Davey & Clive Hallam, Rosie & Sem
- an exciting live netsuke auction at Bonham's
- a great Zeshin inro lecture by Julia Hutt, followed by a visit to the new V&A gallery to see these lacquer items in the flesh
- a personal hands-on netsuke Masterclass by Neil Holton in his private rooms & opportunity to handle a magnificent Kirin netsuke ( Meinertzhagen twin)
- 4 days of visiting & handling netsuke at the Dealers rooms during the convention
- personal netsuke tuition by Dr Jay Hopkins, Alain Ducrois, Dr Dmitry Tubis, Sem Djelal, Max Rutherston & Paul Moss.
- meeting many old & new netsuke friends during this past week (thank-you to everyone who patiently spoke slow English to my Russian mother-in-law, especially Petra!)
- special mention to Martyn Jones for guiding me around this city & congratulations to him on landing a special netsuke on the last day!
Despite this hectic schedule managed to pack in other non-netsuke activities ( National Gallery, RA Gallery exhibition, Borough Food market, Imperial War museum, much shopping, dined at 3 Michelin-starred restaurants + an evening at the pub with the inebriated Clive Hallam)
Special thanks to the SL Moss Team, Ashley, Finn & Ollie, for making the event go smoothly.
Come on Cologne, June 2017!!
Last edited by borat on Tue May 10, 2016 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Tue May 10, 2016 6:26 pm

I have to add my thank you to the long list. I enjoyed looking at the images, checking out all the faces in the crowd, really loved reading about everyone's days. So thanks for doing such a great job at keeping all of us informed around the planet earth! Very grateful indeed for your event coverage!
Happy hunting!
Judy

Oishii

Postby Oishii » Tue May 10, 2016 10:28 pm

Hi Gopi, David and Martyn,

Thanks for your nice reports of our great convention in London, which we enjoyed deeply !

Julia Hutt's lecture on the unique 12 inro-set by Zeshin was indeed one of the highlights.
If you would be interested to admire these masterworks, you can find pictures and information on the website of the Victoria and Albert Museum.
http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O1209 ... ta-zeshin/
Just click "Next" in the tab above to see more.
PS. The pictures are copyright V & A.
Jan

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Wed May 11, 2016 7:48 am

Waiting for car to Heathrow now.
We missed all who were unable to attend, and so pleased that blogging of Martyn, Gopi & yours truly helped you at home share our enjoyment here.

Gopi listed a wonderful catalog
of all the handling and education on offer. Yesterday, Lynn and I took the train down to Tunbridge Wells (the nearby, ancient Saxon town of Tonbridge is spelled differently) and spent just an incredible day with Janet Birch in that lovely
countryside.

Janet collected all the Michael Birch
netsuke from family members and I spent hours examining, handling and photographing some 80+ pieces! Janet says I am uniquely the only person she is aware of who has had this distinct pleasure, and Lynn and I deeply and sincerely appreciate Janet's extraordinary hospitality. Will post pics in Michael Birch thread when I get home!
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Wed May 11, 2016 11:25 am

It sounds like a really memorable side trip there, David! What a special honor to be able to handle so many of his netsuke. Perhaps some of those the family owns have not even been shown before? Can't wait to see your images and hear the stories. Thanks.
Judy

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Thu May 12, 2016 6:07 pm

Here's a few edited by Lynn:
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Thu May 12, 2016 6:09 pm

Once again, with feeling:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

borat

Postby borat » Sat May 21, 2016 8:59 pm

My favourite netsuke (92mm height) I handled while visiting London during convention week ....

Alas did not come home with me.
Attachments
IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0024 (1).JPG

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sat May 21, 2016 10:26 pm

Me too, Gopi!

It was a real privilege to handle & photograph that hunter's ultimate trophy
piece. Glad to have pics in my archives.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Return to “Europe”