netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

London Netsuke Convention - May 2016

Events, meets and discussions around the European chapter.
borat

Postby borat » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:34 pm

I recently received a widely circulated email from the organisers of the London Netsuke Convention - taking place from 6th May to 9th May 2016 inclusive

This seems to be of similar duration to similar conventions officially sponsored by the INS previously, but this is financially organised by SL Moss & Co. Their contact is Ashley who is coordinating the administrative aspects & overseen by Oli Moss.

Email reads ....

Event Highlights

Opening our convention will be a discussion between a few experts and advanced collectors as to their top ten netsuke carvers. What they are drawn to and why. It has been many years since this discussion was held previously and we will see if opinions and tastes have changed. We hope it inspires a lot of discussion among all delegates throughout the convention of who their favourites are and what aspects of the netsuke carving art they are most drawn to.

In addition to holding the usual workshops, we will be holding a series of Master Classes which will focus on the connoisseurship of sagemono.

Confirmed speakers include Julia Hutt, Guy de Lesteyrie du Saillant, Rosemary Bandini, Sem Djelal, Heinz and Else Kress and Paul Moss.

The evening of May 6th, there will be a Welcome Drinks held at Bonhams (New Bond Street) to showcase pieces in their upcoming Japanese.

The following morning of May 7th, there will be a private breakfast and lecture by Dr Nicole Coolidge Rousmaniere at the British Museum.

The final evening on May 9th will be a sit down dinner at The Crypt to conclude the event.

NB: This event is by RSVP only as there is limited seating. Please indicate whether you will be attending the dinner on your registration form.

Venue

The convention will be held at the Montcalm Hotel, located near Marble Arch.

There will be two large exhibitors rooms flanking a central lecture hall and leading into a foyer where lunch and afternoon tea will be served. In addition, we have two breakout rooms where workshops will be held.

The entire venue is wheelchair accessible.

Registration & Payment

The registration for the full event is £450 for the delegate and £400 for a spouse. If you do not wish to attend the full event, we are offering a ‘weekend rate’ of £260 for a delegate and £210 for a spouse.

This year we have opted to use an online registration form. Please follow the link here to complete the delegate registration form. The last page of the form will request you select various fee categories applicable to you - please 'tick' the appropriate options to generate a final total before clicking 'Submit'. Once I receive the request, I will send you our banking details to make a wire transfer. When payment has been received

borat

Postby borat » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:48 pm

I have decided to extend my London stay several days either side of the official conference as I believe there may be opportunities to partake in additional netsuke study sessions which are in the process of being organised ... I spoke to Oli & these are still being worked out, depending on number of participants.

Bonham's, London I believe is to organise a public Japanese auction on 12th May

I got in early & have reserved a room in the conference hotel - no deposit is required. Booked a Club room as this provides an opportunity to use their private lounge facilities as a good meeting place with netsuke friends !

Excellent location, bordering on Hyde Park. London Hotels have historically been expensive, on a par with New York, but there is a real saving with our convention rate. I believe this hotel is on a par with Langham London, which is the gold standard for business accommodation in the city, but Montcalm trumps it on value.

My only disappointment is that the dates are a couple of weeks early for me to attend the annual Chelsea Flower show! :roll:

EXPERIENCE

Sitting grandly at the top of Park Lane, within close proximity to London's most exclusive addresses including Mayfair, Oxford and Regent Streets, Marylebone, Edgware Road and Hyde Park is The Montcalm London Marble Arch.

At The Montcalm London Marble Arch, the magnificent décor and the contemporary design of the lobby welcomes you to an experience to remember.The hotel features 153 bedrooms including 14 lavish suites. Our rooms are tastefully designed with an emphasis on comfort and style. Chic and contemporary, the bedrooms come complete with state of the art amenities including complimentary broadband and Wi-Fi, LCD TV with international and satellite channels, an iPad, pillow menu andin room aroma for a memorable stay.

The Montcalm London Marble Arch has two gourmet restaurants and a Champagne Bar. Choose from mouth-watering at Sixtyone Restaurant or a quintessentially English tradition of afternoon tea at The Crescent Restaurant & Lounge. The Champagne Bar offers a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks and appetisers in a stylish atmosphere.

Home to a fitness centre, sauna, steam room, Jacuzzi, exercise pool, monsoon shower and heated loungers, Spa at The Montcalm is a beautiful sanctuary of wellness and fitness, offering facial, body treatments and massages by talented therapists.

The Montcalm London Marble Arch has two meetings and events rooms. The Grand Ballroom, one of London's luxury event spaces,is an ideal venue for a business meeting, private dinner, grand ceremony or wedding. The Crescent Restaurant & Lounge is a perfect venue for a more intimate event.

* Please note that the check-in time is 2:00pm and check-out time is 12:00 noon.

peter

Postby peter » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:51 pm

Only few additional info for the Hotel reservation.
INS members have a special rate!!!!!!!

Accommodation

We have agreed special room rates with the Montcalm Hotel. Availability may be limited therefore I suggest booking as early as possible to take advantage of this rate offer. A description of each room category can be found on the venue website.

To make a reservation, please ring: +44 207 479 2233 and quote code: SYDN040516

The room rates per night are as follows:

Single Occupancy
Deluxe Double Bedroom (room only) £245 + VAT
Deluxe Double Bedroom (with breakfast) £255 + VAT

Double Occupancy fee £10 + VAT

Upgrade to Executive Club fee £30 + VAT

Upgrade to Montcalm Club fee £60 + VAT

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:44 pm

Borat...

How much you calculate for a couple for the whole program double room and estimated additional expenses like lunch dinner etc?...I will appreciate to have your own past experience in
London...(normal good standard life nothing extremely luxury)
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

borat

Postby borat » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:11 pm

That's difficult for me to give a particular quote Luigi, but you as a European, would find expenses to be similar to other major European cities.

I would expect your 4 to 5 days at the Conference hotel to be very busy ... please don't stay at an alternative venue. This will be a very social event with the opportunity to meet old & new friends. I predict that you will be unlikely to stray more than a few blocks from the conference venue. Like most major cities there is a vast choice of dining venues at all price points.

At most business hotels, I find upgrading to the club room a great advantage. There is the availability of complimentary food & beverages all day to graze, but most importantly you can easily catch up with friends as a casual meeting point through-out the day.

Lastly your question of cost ... I'm sure if you brought 1 or 2 netsuke from home & gave it to the conference dealers, you would come home with change, even after paying all your expenses!

CLUB LOUNGE

Check in, step up.
Welcome to the Club Lounge experience.

The perfect combination of conviviality and calm, the Club Lounge is an exclusive enclave that's yours to use as you wish. A base for business and a space for pleasure.

Discreet, thoughtfully designed and decidedly stylish, access is a privilege reserved especially for Club and suite guests, and benefits range from complimentary breakfast daily to unlimited coffee and chef's special canapés.

So what's it to be? Put your feet up or get down to business. Stay connected with super-fast Wi-Fi or switch off with a favourite drink and an hors d'oeuvre. Catch up on work or wind down to the quiet hum of contented conversation. You're in good company in the Club Lounge.

The Club Lounge is open daily from 07:00am to 10:00pm.

Continental breakfast is served from 7:00am until 11:00am, Chef's special canapés, spirits, wine, beer and soft drinks are available from 17:00 until 20:00 and teas and coffees are available throughout the day.

Services include high-speed Wi-Fi, exclusive TV channels, Business Centre, international magazines, newspapers, wireless printing and Fresh fruit platters.

borat

Postby borat » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:44 am

It may be a useful forum exercise at some stage for individuals to indicate whether they are Definitely Going, Definitely Not attending, Likely attending, Unlikely attending

On the basis of these numbers maybe David White esq may organise a forum get together in London at some stage in the calendar

OliMos

Postby OliMos » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:23 am

Convention Schedule (please note this is subject to changes as problems emerge)

Thursday, 5th May 2016

All-Day Dealer rooms installation
15:00 – 18:00 Early Registration in Montcalm lobby

Friday, 6th May 2016

09:00 – 10:30 Registration & Coffee
10:30 – 12:00 Discussion: Top 10 Carvers – Guy de Lasteyrie; Neil Davey; Douglas Wright; David White
12:00 – 13:00 Workshop1: Robert Goode – Netsuke on a Budget
Workshop 2: Clive Hallam – Stag Antler as a Carving Material
Masterclass Workshop: Heinz and Else Kress - Inro
13:00 – 14:00 Lunch (buffet provided)
14:00 – 18:00 Dealer Rooms Open
18:30 Welcome Reception at Bonhams, Bond Street

Saturday 7th May 2016

09:30 – 10:15 Private Breakfast at Royal Geographical Society
Registration for ‘weekend’ delegates
10:15 – 11:15 Lecture by Dr Nicole Rousmaniere (British Museum)
11:15 – 11:30 Break
11:30 – 12:30 Lecture by Dr Julia Hutt (Victoria & Albert)
12:30 – 14:00 Lunch (not provided) and make way back to Montcalm
NB: We recommend spending some time in the V&A’s newly refurbished Toshiba Japanese Gallery which is nearby

18:30 – 21:00 Drinks reception at Sydney L. Moss with Kokusai Exhibition

Sunday 8th May 2016

09:30 – 10:30 Lecture 1: Alain Ducros – New research
10:30 – 11:00 Coffee Break
11:00 – 12:00 Masterclass Lecture 1: Paul Moss - Kokusai
12:00 – 13:00 Workshop 3: Oliver Moss
Workshop 4: Max Rutherston
Workshop 5: TBC
14:00 – 17:00 Dealer Rooms Open
17:30 Netsuke Auction (Bonhams, Bond Street)

Monday 9th May 2016

09:30 – 10:30 Lecture 2: Robert Fleischel & Yukari Yoshida – Iwami School
10:30 – 11:00 Coffee Break
11:00 – 12:00 Lecture 3: Christine Guth – Material Wit
12:00 – 13:00 Masterclass Lecture 2: Rosemary Bandini & Sem Djelal – Kyoto vs. Osaka
19:30 – Arrival at The Crypt with a glass of champagne
20:00 – Sit down dinner and fun auction followed by dancing

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:31 am

Looks great Oli - thanks for the update.

What’s the Material Wit lecture concerning?

What will your workshop be on?

Just to clarify - we can only register for one out of the three masterclass sessions?

PS Gopi - I will definitely be attending.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

OliMos

Postby OliMos » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:36 pm

Hi Martyn,

I'm not exactly sure on the Material Wit lecture. What I suggested as a subject was subversion, humour and grotesquerie in Edo Period Art, her response was she would be delighted to speak to us on "Material Wit", so it may be that or some other aspect, but it will be relatable and have netsuke, inro, pipecase, etc. examples to demonstrate it.

Dr. Christine Guth is an excellent speaker, and an academic at the Royal College of Art so we should be in for a treat.

I'm still working out my topic, but it may be on a few lesser known carvers who I think we should be thinking of more highly than the standard research books give them credit for.

Masterclasses are not a registering thing. At first conception they were going to be workshop-size with lots of handling, tricks of the trade, things to look out for etc., quite advanced collector stuff. It was however pointed out that if we limited such things to 20-odd people (which would make handling manageable) a lot of delegates would feel left out and marginalised and it would be more trouble than it's worth. So now the two netsuke masterclasses are full lecture-size and can accommodate everyone, they should be dealing with connoisseurship in their areas of interest, what makes something great rather than just good, at least that's the idea, but no handling.

The Inro masterclass will be workshop-sized and I'm sure really interesting and informative, but I suspect less oversubscribed, and I wanted there to be handling involved and we have to restrict numbers there and explain to only handle by holding the cords, not the lacquer body etc. We aren't requiring people to reserve a spot but if the seats all fill up it may be standing room at the back and standing delegates won't be able to handle (to protect the art).

Please remember everything is subject to change, for example we might book the British Museum for lectures and confirm it and then 4 months later they could tell us they've decided to kick us out and use all three lecture theatres to house an event for deaf kids. (The bastards (the BM events people not the deaf kids, I'm sure the deaf kids parentage is unassailable)). On the other hand the Royal Geographical Society is a lovely space with a much larger lecture hall (much bigger than we need).

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:55 pm

Thanks for the clarifications.

Underappreciated artists always a fascinating subject area and one I will look forward to attending.

I agree that the RGS is a lovely lecture theatre, which coincidentally, I've had the good fortune to attend for lectures already. A comfortable setting. Good choice :)
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

Return to “Europe”