netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

London Netsuke Convention - May 2016

Events, meets and discussions around the European chapter.
DSW90049

Re: London Netsuke Convention - May 2016

Postby DSW90049 » Sat May 07, 2016 7:13 am

Photos request:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

Clive

Postby Clive » Sat May 07, 2016 11:28 am

borat wrote:- my first convention day ended at 1am the next morning after the European boys took me drinking this Friday night - I suspect Clive Hallam will not make it to Day 2 ... last seen just off Oxford street in the wee hours in a jovial mood :D

Oh ye of little faith.. a moderate night followed by a lovely breakfast. Admittedly there hasn't been much sleep yet but in my experience it's the sleeping that causes the hangover. Onward and upwards.. :D

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sat May 07, 2016 12:25 pm

Had a wonderful time yesterday at Clive's workshop on Stag carving, followed by an afternoon visit to SL Moss, 12 Queen St., Mayfair, with Clive, Marsha, Sue R and Dave B, where we had a special Clive-guided tour of three floors of what may be the greatest exhibition of Kokusai and other Stag carvers in modern history. Having first Clive's excellent tutelage, and second, his tour guiding services, was a unique, all-encompassing, day of learning much about stag, and how it has been worked by carvers - I learned much that I did not know, and can now so much better appreciate stag and the wizardry required to, as Clive taught, 'file it down' into netsuke and sagemono.

Last night, my wife and I attended the Bonhams reception and then returned to the Montcalm with Janet Birch, hoping to lounge the night away in the bar, except that the bar in which many enjoyed countless libations the night before had closed for business! Instead, we found Paul Moss unwinding from a big day and all the deadlines of staging this event and publishing the Kokusai treatise (bought my copy on yesterday's visit - a MAGNIFICENT book!!!!), so it was wine, pea soup with mint (better than it sounds on this American palette), tasty cheese platters, followed by putting my wife to bed, as she contracted a bad head cold, breathing 11 hours of recycled air of hundreds of souls on our A380 Jumbo flight the night before.

This morning an enormous English Breakfast with Francesca from Zurich, followed by 2nd Breakfast and the two lectures at the Royal Geographic Society, the first on elegant Chinese & Japanese prints, the second by Julia Hutt on the 12 calendar Inro by Zeshin - each differently shaped and themed and of truly incalculable value as a set!

Back now at the Montcalm getting a bit of horizontal time to stretch out the back (still pretty jet-lagged), and awaiting the opening of the Dealer Rooms at 2PM, about 40 mins from now. Tonight is the gala reception at SL Moss. So glad I got to spend a couple of hours there yesterday with no more than half a dozen people in attendance, cabinets open, and handling more stag masterpieces than can be imagined - tonight, with so many expected, cabinets will be locked.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "

Tama

Postby Tama » Sat May 07, 2016 12:48 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you! More, more, more!!!!

Bakurae

Postby Bakurae » Sat May 07, 2016 1:27 pm

Thanks, Gopi, thanks, David. It's great to see the words and faces. Clive, might there ever be a video version of your antler workshop?

Hopefully,

Alison

nicholas1957

Postby nicholas1957 » Sat May 07, 2016 1:53 pm

Always great to hear convention news , just wish i was there with you all !
Nicholas Westover
njw

jbjtennyo

Postby jbjtennyo » Sat May 07, 2016 2:43 pm

Thanks for all the stories and the pics! It was almost like being there! :( well not really, but so glad that you are including us. We wait anxiously for the Rest of the story! :)
Judy

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sun May 08, 2016 5:44 am

There are 22 dealers spread across two dealer rooms, all our old favorites and some newer (in person, anyway) to me. As usual, dealer rooms are open from 2-6, and I spent goodly amounts of time across both yesterday. Much to justify all these oversize (for an Anerican) GBP notes bulging my pockets like a chipmonk's cheek. Still pretty jet lagged, but using all my old tricks to finally get back to LA time, and did it this morning.

I'm tempted by much that I've seen. Robt. F & Yukari have a spectacular Bokuto attr. Ikko, with all kinds of creatures crawling all over it - I'll try to photograph. Sem put a hunter's piece in my hand, a wonderful, chunky bear, Edo ivory, which he told me he rescued from oblivion. It has that kind of patina that, only if it could tell stories, I would be enthralled. Much, much else, and I spent hours grazing and meeting and greeting. Today I will re-visit Max R to view a few interesting pieces. Dr. Dmitry T and his lovely wife Dr. Helen T, have quite an appealing inventory here, and Andy J showed me two Anraku's, both highly desirable to someone with AA (Anraku Addiction); one, a rare collaborative piece. Alas, I cannot bring them home to Anerica, land of the free and home of the politically correct, because of our current Prohibition,
I will not rant further here (having far too much fun!).

Photographed all 12 of Zeshin's calendar Inro set, but have to ask Julia Hutt if I can post them here w/o copyright issues - my legal op. is our Forum's educational use exempts them, but this is a matter of international diplomacy requiring some caution.

Last night we all hopped over to the SL Moss Kokusai-Palooza, and a fine party was had by all, with wonderful champagne and canapés. I commandeered chairs and the big 1st FL table and schmoozed happily with too many old friends and new acquaintances to mention.

Here's more pics for those who can't be here!

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sun May 08, 2016 5:49 am

Pics!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sun May 08, 2016 5:52 am

Beautiful London & iconic phone booths
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Return to “Europe”