netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Frieze Masters featuring Sydney L. Moss. 14th - 18th Oct 2015.

Events, meets and discussions around the European chapter.
souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:00 am

Sorry for the short notice but I only became aware of this event recently. If you are around in London up until the 18th October - it's well worth paying a visit.

The Frieze Masters is an art fair offering a contemporary lens on historical art. Walking around yesterday, I noticed more contemporary than historical art, however this is not the case with a section called Collections.

The Collections area is an inaugural selection of eight galleries featuring some of the best collections of historical art and objects. It is curated by Sir Norman Rosenthal who introduces the Collections section as;

"This section shows that it is still possible, with both knowledge and love, to put together outstanding collections of arts that demonstrate the highest level of creativity in all different periods of history."

As a collector - I found this focus on our very nature encouraging and insightful. It was no surprise then, to find Sydney L. Moss firmly embedded in this section. Paul, Oliver and Ashley have set up a simple, very effective, contemporary display (interestingly, a reflection of the way I display my Netsuke at home). I don't want to provide a spoiler for those of you visiting, but want to share something, so using my phone I took two snaps that provide the presentation.

Whilst time flew conversing with the guys I couldn't help but overhear huddles of interested parties talking amongst themselves about the display. If I took a £1 for every comment that mentioned the Hare with the Amber eyes I would have been able to buy myself a Netsuke right then and there. It dawned on me that Moss was not there primarily to sell - but to be a part of the movement to draw new collectors into our world.

Paul has kindly offered complimentary entry for you guys so please contact Oliver Moss directly on ( oli_moss@hotmail.com ) if you wish to attend the event.

Here is a map of the location for those of you running about town. Camden (Northern Line) is only a brisk 5 minute walk from the event.

Attachments
2472624_DSC_0999~2.jpg
2472625_DSC_1001~2~2.jpg
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

borat

Postby borat » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:18 am

What an exciting life you have Martyn ..... visiting these wonderful events, when you should really be at your day job! :D (I think you're the London male equivalent of a "Sloane ranger") Those of us not in London, are very envious.

You even captured a pensive Oli Moss in the reflection of the display

Now i've been squinting very hard ... is that a sleeping Masanao rat on the apex of one of the hills in the display or not?

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:39 am

Hehe - Gopi, I just had to look up the term ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloane_Ranger ).

Unfortunately I don't fit the "class" bill but get your point. My job is my only income - I don't have a trust fund to support my gallivanting around. I take stolen time in lunches, holiday or those rare moments I can get away from work a bit earlier.

Alas - this rat was wide awake. Your hunt will have to continue.
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:55 am

Or....considering is only one in the world....solution would be to order same subject to one of the Living masters...any one of them will achieve a marvellous result..creamy patina included...art is art, beauty is beauty, past or present....
Attachments
2472676_olpl.jpg
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:04 pm

Some pro photo teasers just sent in and fresh out the camera from Mr Moss...

Attachments
2472731_131015_Money+Art-14.jpg
2472732_131015_Money+Art-16.jpg

chonchon

Postby chonchon » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:12 pm

Great write-up and shots. Many thanks.
Piers

Size is something.

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:04 pm

Martyn, thanks much for this report!
I truly wish that I could attend.

The pics are wonderful.
Congratulations to Paul, Oli, Finn & all at SL Moss
- their lighting and display setup is just extraordinary.

That chunky wood Oni atop the display (where he truly rules the roost) in the lowest pic above (Post #5), is one that I regularly lust over when the Moss Contingent visits
the U.S. West Coast . . . . :D
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:22 pm

IPhone

Great pic's for great Netsukes!...many tks Martyn!
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

Oishii

Postby Oishii » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:24 pm

these are great, thanks Martyn !

does anyone know the subject of the standing wood figure on the right ?
Jan

Tengu

Postby Tengu » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:37 pm

Oishii wrote:....does anyone know the subject of the standing wood figure on the right ?

Think, it´s Jitoku
http://www.neilholton.org/product_list/jitoku/

Return to “Europe”