netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Baur Museum visit (Geneva, Switzerland) Session II - 19th November 2015

Events, meets and discussions around the European chapter.
DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:19 pm

I would love, love, love to be able to go on this . . . .

Some may know that our former co-Moderator, Antonio Pereda (Old Kappa) was directly involved with the Baur Collection - I forget his exact title, he may have been on the Board of Directors or Trustees. Antonio had access to some of the notes and other literature concerning this storied collection - he shared one notecard with me and I got permission to include it in one of my INSJ articles, I think the one on Anraku(sai) if memory serves me.

The Baur book ("The Baur Collection") is a very large, comprehensive and expensive treatise which all serious students of this field should consider adding to their libraries.

US Amazon has it currently for $950, used:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Baur-Collection-Netsuke-Selected/dp/B0029E6XGK

But, if you shop it around and put in a Google following instruction, you can find a deal occasionally - watch for auctions which include libraries, which may include this book.

Also, caution, there are other Baur Collection books concerning Baur's collection of other Japanese and Chinese art in addition to netsuke - there are Baur books on Chinese Ceramics, and on Japanese Sword Fittings, among others - Google Search "Baur Collection" to see the breadth of this collector's reach.

Last, but not least, if you are interested in learning about the man who lends his name to these collections, Alfred Baur, a man (he died when I was one year old, after living a very full life) whose extraordinary generosity made all this knowledge available to future generations, see this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Baur

"Alfred Baur brought together a collection of [3][4][5] objects which stands out as one of the most beautiful private collections in Europe today. A private collection reflects the preferences of an amateur and, as such, reveals the spirit of his time. Baur chose to buy "small quantities of rare works of art rather than large numbers of articles of inferior quality". Through his collections, he appears as a man of taste. During his lifetime, he donated his collections to a foundation which bears his name and that of his wife, a Genevese by birth: the 'Fondation Alfred et Eugénie Baur-Duret'"

"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:15 pm

David - thanks for the info you've shared here.

We miss you around the forum - these type of posts add richness to the content. Thanks :)
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

DSW90049

Postby DSW90049 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:26 pm

Thanks, Martyn.

I will be posting more frequently again.
Getting out now from under a true deluge of real life issues,
from my son's wedding last November,
to that nasty
Month-Long sinus infection last December, to recovering from office burglaries more recently,
and devoting all the huge time necessarily committed to
writing my most recent INSJ article (coming in the Summer INSJ issue
- I hope that our regulars and
guests enjoy this one as much as I enjoyed researching, photographing
and writing it - this is the most scholarly one I've attempted yet),
to a real burst of new business from our
Greater Los Angeles red hot real estate market this year in my day job as a real estate
lawyer, to my ever-deepening level of involvement (3+ years now)
in the Opposition
to the threatened Ivory Regulations and seriously mis-guided efforts in the current PR campaign
to demonize the antique ivory in our legitimately antique netsuke and sagemono,
to say that I've had my hands full these past few months, would be a serious understatement.

Hoping now to again do my part in adding,
more regularly, to this Forum's
treasure of educational
material in this
field of netsuke and
sagemono, and all the related cultural, historic and aesthetic information which helps to better
appreciate this field.

You've (& Alan, our BOD Liason) have both done
truly a Yeoman's job of keeping things moving smoothly in our many
threads, Martyn, and in helping to integrate our (hopefully) never-ending stream of new readers, posters,
collectors and students.
I sincerely can't thank you enough!
"There is no shortcut to netsuke collecting; it takes time, study and patience. The market is flooded with utterly worthless rubbish. . . . "
Netsukes: Their Makers, Use and Meaning, H. Seymour Trower(1898)~~~~David

bakuoo7

Postby bakuoo7 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:16 pm

Baur Museum Netsuke Visit.
Thursday 19th November 2015.

Registration Form for a netsuke handling session at the Baur Museum of Far Eastern Art

8 Rue Munier- Romilly 1206 Geneva Switzerland

First come first basis

Thursday 19th of November 2015

Please reserve your place by emailing Petra Dorman:

dormanpetra77@gmail.com
We still have space on the Baur Museum visit for Thursday 19th November 2015.

Please email Petra Dorman for this very special netsuke view and handling event to book a place, do not miss out on this very special visit!!!

David Louis Brown.
Euronetsuke.

David Louis Brown

Return to “Europe”