netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Baur Museum visit (Geneva, Switzerland) - 24th September 2015.

Events, meets and discussions around the European chapter.
Tama

Postby Tama » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:50 pm

Does opium smell sweet?

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:55 pm

Yes, Neil, agree about the recycling. Antonio believed Ganbun used a couple of Tadatoshi mushroom groups as his foundation for a parade of ants, inserting his tablet over the original signature cartouche.
Alan

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:55 pm

Jill, have you seen any references to opium use by the Japanese? Those small bowled pipes were for tobacco.
Alan

Clive

Postby Clive » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:08 pm

AFNetsuke wrote:Yes, Neil, agree about the recycling. Antonio believed Ganbun used a couple of Tadatoshi mushroom groups as his foundation for a parade of ants, inserting his tablet over the original signature cartouche.

I believe it was Neil Davey who first suggested as much... so said William Tilley in his short essay called Metalwork in the field of netsuke to be found in Eskenazi's Japanese Netsuke from the Lazarnick Collection, 1990, page 11.

A very interesting and informative read for anybody interested in Mebum (or if you prefer Ganbun) ;)

Tama

Postby Tama » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:34 pm

AFNetsuke wrote:Jill, have you seen any references to opium use by the Japanese? Those small bowled pipes were for tobacco.

No I haven't Alan, it was the first thought that popped in my head of something perhaps sweet smelling. I know the Chinese used opium and Japan allowed the Chinese in and many things were implemented from the Chinese. That's how the thought popped in.

peter

Postby peter » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:52 pm

Hi,
I just come back from a short trip from Hungarian country visit.(sometimes the people travelling his own beautifull country).
I made few close up from this ants and the signature.
Few other the last drink after Baur visit , and Stefan & Peter near the round table.
Image Image Image Image Image

Return to “Europe”