netsuke and sagemono lounge : Disclaimer - Please click anywhere on this bar to expand/contract the content.

Baur Museum visit (Geneva, Switzerland) - 24th September 2015.

Events, meets and discussions around the European chapter.
souldeep

Postby souldeep » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:17 am

Lol - there will be no story left to tell in either journal! Jill - for lunch I found a Chinese restaurant with a rotating table - the perfect Netsuke handling show and tell device. The guys were of course quite surprised and it was easy to rotate the table to send Netsuke around the table. Really had a very funny lunch - the perfect one as it goes :D
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:20 am

Steven - we are honoured to have you finally join our forum and contribute. We all benefit from your photography skills. I look forward to more posts from you on all types of subjects. You will undoubted help this forum become a richer place. Welcome :D
Piglet: "Pooh?" Pooh: "Yes, Piglet?" Piglet: "I've been thinking..." Pooh: "That's a very good habit to get into to, Piglet." - A.A. Milne.

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:18 am

Jan/John - please forgive me. I removed the photo because although I got asked to pass around my comparison pieces (which I agreed to do) I have photographed them for my own private study and was surprised to see someone else sharing them here! I will of course share findings at some point. Hope you understand and sorry for being seemingly anti sharing. It's not the case - just not the time for me to do so yet - I want to share them with observations at some point in the future :)

Oishii

Postby Oishii » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:26 am

totally understand, Martyn ...
and I apologize for sharing your piece this way ...
looking forward.
Steven, your report is a great read !
Jan

LUBlub

Postby LUBlub » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:40 am

Many tks for all contributions...help to increase our perception of quality,
and very good input for beginners...
Excellence in netsuke art don't need signature or pedigree, or age, only quality, aesthetics, beauty.

Oishii

Postby Oishii » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:42 am

This Tonkotsu @Baur has not yet been shared ?
the oxidation on the snail made for a very special effect, typical for the artist.
8-) 8-)
Attachments
2460074_20150924_113317.jpg
2460075_20150924_113458.jpg
Jan

AFNetsuke

Postby AFNetsuke » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:21 pm

Jan, where was the signature/seal placed on this tonkotsu?
Alan

Oishii

Postby Oishii » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:47 pm

Hi Alan, I'm not sure about this ...
Any of the Baur-gang remember about the signature/seal on the Tonkotsu ?
Jan

souldeep

Postby souldeep » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:21 pm

If my memory serves me correctly - it may have been on the base. Whatever the signature it's easily identifiable as a Ganbun - his trademark ants trailing across the piece. Unfortunately it was about the only item I didn't photograph! Neil Holton has an infinity with this sort of craft and I am sure he'll remember if/where the seal was.

neilholton

Postby neilholton » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:47 pm

This fine sagemono was inlaid with an ebony tablet signed Jikan Gangun Saku on the RH side looking at the snail. The box itself was well made and the takamaki-e was excellent quality. The ants were particularly good, marching with purpose. The question I ask with Ganbun how much of the whole work is by him and how much is it Ganbun applying his imagination to old works, in essence he revamps and recycles older things. This isn't a negative at all Sansho did it all the time.

The box itself had a sweet smell like so many so I don't think it was used for tobacco but was a box for ???

Return to “Europe”